Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my '95 and '90 started leaking this weekend. '90 has a new radiator also. Both are leaking where the tranny line goes into the top of the plastic side tank on driver's side. What's the deal besides the stupidity of threading metal into a plastic tank?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Plastic radiator tanks are just lightweight crap/ garbage. I replaced my radiator with a heavy duty one. It cost me about $300. I never liked plastic radiator tanks. The newer ones may be more reliable, but I doubt it. You could try tightening the jamnut on the tank, but it probably mon't do much for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
miesk5 said:
See http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59096

Modine & Transpro merged into Proliance Intl - Proliance now produces the Ready-Rad® Radiators as well as Modine
btw, crazed posted some pics w/measurements; had a shroud fit prob.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ghlight=modine

Proliance™ - Bronco radiators; incl. 4 rows brass tanks, copper-brass core, heater cores, etc. w/sizes; see Proliance™ for sizes, incl. 4 row for Broncos
http://www.pliii.com/index.htm
Thanks for the great links! It's funny that it was mentioned that one guy's radiator started leaking after he wheeled it. I wheeled mine Saturday and guess what...:(

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If the radiator is leaking coolant at the end tanks,take the radiator out and use a pair of vise grips and re-crimp the tabs that hold the end tanks on.If the leak is coolant coming from the area where the transmision cooler line go in,then tighten the large nut that holds the cooler to the tank.If the leak is transmission oil coming from the cooler line fitting,then loosen the cooler line to the fitting and then tighten the fitting some,if the fitting is tight,then remove it and add some teflon tape or sealant to the threads and reinstall the fitting and the line.By the way the fitting is going into the oil cooler,which is metal(not into the plastic tank).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bronco1 said:
If the radiator is leaking coolant at the end tanks,take the radiator out and use a pair of vise grips and re-crimp the tabs that hold the end tanks on.If the leak is coolant coming from the area where the transmision cooler line go in,then tighten the large nut that holds the cooler to the tank.If the leak is transmission oil coming from the cooler line fitting,then loosen the cooler line to the fitting and then tighten the fitting some,if the fitting is tight,then remove it and add some teflon tape or sealant to the threads and reinstall the fitting and the line.By the way the fitting is going into the oil cooler,which is metal(not into the plastic tank).
It's leaking antifreeze out around the big nut. I tightened nut and leak got worse. My mechanic claims it needs to be sealed from inside the tank???

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Your mechanic is correct as the o-ring is on the inside.If you remove the big nut you may be able to do a temperary fix with an o-ring,gasket and/or sealant.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The radiator I got was the Checker's one. I think it may have been Modine. Funny thing was, I replaced it and the one they gave me had a leak in it. There was a pinhole under the paint on the side tank. They paid for another Gallon of Antifreeze for me. BTW, it was a direct bolt in on the '95 with no issues, just heavy if you're doing it alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts