Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I got around to working on my gt bar/seatbelt problem today. I tried putting some foam under the edge of the seatbelt cover and it helped for a while, but then my rattle came back. The real problem was that the GT bar was in the way so the cover couldn't be bolted down in the correct holes so the bottom was kicked forward and loose to rattle. So I loosened all the bolts in the gt bar and held the drivers side back while re-tightening them all. There's still more clearance on the passenger side than the drivers side, 1/4" vs a finger, but at least it shouldn't rattle and I can now source one more screw and fasten it on correctly.

Obviously I don't clean my car much and drive on dusty roads, but you can see from the dirt marks where the cover used to sit.

Here's my drivers side clearance:

Here's my passenger side clearance:

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Today I got a lug wrench to replace the one I never had.

Then I went to Discount tire and got new tires for the Bronco and trailer and had them put on my remaining steel wheels so they are all matchy matchy.

When I was prepping for the tires and removing the old spare from the trailer etc. I realized that the trailer and Bronco have different wrench size lugnuts. I asked at the tire place, but I guess they only have fancy custom nuts for people with expensive rims that make them not work with regular tools. They don't have regular nuts in stock. So after getting a factory lug wrench, I can say that the trailer has the correct size nuts and the Bronco is the one that's been in cold water. Now I need to source 20 new correct lug nuts.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Looks good! I'll be interested to hear how you like those tires. What size are they?
Those are 33x12.5r15s. I had 35x12.5s on there before and 235/75r15s before that. The small tires were no good for freeway driving especially here where the speed limits are 85mph. The 35s were better, but should probably have a regear. They were pretty pathetic even towing a light trailer down the freeway. I'm hoping the 33s will be the sweet spot and be ok until I can afford a ZF5 swap, and regear with lockers/lsd. They are already better in that they don't rub on full lock turns on flat ground. I'm hoping they are good in the snow we get most of the winter here.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Well, I survived the heat in the garage tonight and installed a phenolic carb spacer. There's barely room for it, I have to finagle the air cleaner to get it back on, because it only fits under the lip of the cowl once the wingnut is tightened, but the Bronco did still start afterwards. Hopefully it will help with the hot weather running problems I've been having.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,205 Posts
You must have a tall intake manifold. Do you have the Weiand Stealth? I had the Edelbrock Performer on my old 351M and I was able to put a whopping 2" worth of spacers under my Sniper and still be able to put on my aftermarket air cleaner with a 3" tall element. If you have the Stealth that would explain things as I've heard, but not experienced, that they are significantly taller than a Performer.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'm not sure, it doesn't look particularly tall. It looks like a regular dual plenum as far as I can tell. Maybe Edelbrock carbs are taller than Holleys? The air cleaner is normal height for an open element style.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,205 Posts
I'm not sure on the carbs being taller than the other.

It could also be you're using a flat base air cleaner. A lot of air cleaners are drop base, like the factory air cleaner, where the mounting surface for the carb is actually higher than the bottom of the filter element. I'm using a flat base air cleaner on mine, because of the way the top of the Sniper is shaped and I needed to make sure it wouldn't hit it.

Guess it doesn't really matter as it fits under the hood for you. I was just curious is all.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Here's max clearance with the wing nut cranked down until it gets hard to turn.

I just went out and checked and it's the Performer 400 intake manifold so that should be pretty regular.

I guess, theoretically I could have non-standard motor mounts making things taller than they should be, but that's not too likely.

It is a flat base air cleaner. For now things fit, so I'll just leave them. I guess I'll know if I break a motor mount because it will bend the air cleaner and start clunking with it set up this way.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Today I managed to get a couple things done in the horrible heat we've been having lately. I swapped out my lug nuts. They all took a 3/4" wrench size and since I just got a factory lug nut wrench I wanted them to fit it so I need to convert back to 13/16". I went from the ones on the left to the ones on the right.

The next and final step in being able to change my own tires with equipment on the Bronco was building a wood block to put the jack on so it will reach with my larger than stock tires. I now have an actual correct sized spare, jack handle, lug wrench, and block (the jack was in the rig when I bought it). I think I will want to change the way I strapped it down eventually, but it is good enough to function for now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also, I discovered recently that the front seat belts don't lock from inertia. I need to open them up and see what's wrong and repair or replace. Obviously, if they just extend full length in a crash they don't help a whole lot.
You wrote this 3 months ago, so maybe you have found a fix, but are you aware that these belts dont lock in the same way as on more modern cars? They wont lock just by yanking hard in the belt. The belt has ha mechanism that locks it if detects sudden motion. Also I have experienced that they lock on steep inclines. My Bronco manual says: "The inertia reel allows freedom of movement, locking tight only on hard braking or impacts of approximately 5mph or more. The reel cannot be made to lock by jerking on the webbing".

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
You wrote this 3 months ago, so maybe you have found a fix, but are you aware that these belts dont lock in the same way as on more modern cars? They wont lock just by yanking hard in the belt. The belt has ha mechanism that locks it if detects sudden motion. Also I have experienced that they lock on steep inclines. My Bronco manual says: "The inertia reel allows freedom of movement, locking tight only on hard braking or impacts of approximately 5mph or more. The reel cannot be made to lock by jerking on the webbing".
Yes thank you. I didn't mention it, but I did get them to lock a little going down steep inclines on gravel roads. I am much more comfortable knowing that they are actually functioning.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Oh man, I forgot to write up my tire covers. I picked up a couple from that place in Florida that someone else recommended recently that claims they are made in the USA. Other than being a bit darker tan than I would have preferred they are great! They are nice thick heavy duty vinyl and have a good shock cord holding them on. I ordered the size for 33" tires and they fit perfect.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Nothing big today. My parts from Dennis Carpenter arrived. I put on the clutch pedal cover and headlight dimmer switch cover. I also got the clutch linkage grommet and parking brake cable grommet for the firewall, but both of those will require some disassembly to install so I'm putting them off a bit.

I went from this:

To this:

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I got the sleeping platform in the trailer finished. No picture of that though, since my kid was in it.

Here's a picture of the Bronco, trailer, and topper with the matching rattle can paint job.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
651 Posts
really nice progress coming along.
even tiny bits make a difference.

I really like the trailer setup !!!

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I picked up a transfer case at a garage sale for $50 today.

I made a little progress and got some of the gunk chipped off it and seperated it from the transmission.

Tomorrow I'll clean off the work bench and move the transfer case onto it to start cleaning it up and putting in new seals. This should allow me to stop some of my transfer case leaks without having my Bronco off the road while I work on it. Just work on the new one, and blammo!, swap them in one day.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I spent half an hour or so cleaning up the workbench so I have space to work on this beast. Then I herked the transfer case out of the trailer and onto the mostly clean work bench. I got a bunch of scraping and picking and wire wheeling done. It's getting close to clean enough to open. I think I need to buy more wire wheels, borrow my dad's pressure washer, and alternate de-greaser and pressure washing. Anyway, no great pictures or anything, but I did uncover the tag/data plate on the transfer case.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts