Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine sounds a little unhealthy when it gets hot. Runs fine just a little leary about it. Big leaky thing with almost 300 kms on it. It will go one day, just looking to be prepared.

Anyways, there is a 1989 ford 5.0 with 160 kms for sale in my area for $100 right now. Are there any differences between this engine and mine? Bolt in bolt up? Im more of a suspension guy, not too familiar with engines. My truck is a 95 5.0. Might have mass air flow but I dont know. I do have a zf5... if that makes any kind of difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What did this "Ford 5.0" come out of? As far as bellhousings and accessories swapping from block to block, yes, no problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You'll be fine, just use the "extras" off of your engine on the "new" engine. intake, sensors, all the little doohickies with wires and/or hoses.

There should be no difference at all, but I think they may have started using mass air flow in late '95, so it's up in the air. Regardless of that, the engine is the same, so you can put your stuff on this engine.

you should buy it and rebuild it, in my opinion anyhow... since you have it out and all. It's not hard to rebuild an engine, and there are plenty of books to walk you through it. Then you'll really have a "new" engine, and something to be proud of as well...

·
Registered
331 Posts
unless you plan on sellin your bronco shortly, then rebuild that $100 motor... you have no idea what problems you are inheriting, it could last you 200k, 20k or even 2k... if it were me buying it I know what id get... especially since your bronco is still running, you have time to do it right... and wont have to do this again for a long time...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ditto on the above

or if the funds is limited, at least change the pan, front/rear seals and pumps ( oil and water ) , before you place the motor in. his would also give you the chance wiht getting to know this other motor internals ;)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Money's not a factor just was a hell of a deal for the price. What would you suggest on upgrading? I'll be searching as well...

·
Registered
331 Posts
it really depends on what you use your bronco for... daily driver? designated toy? a little of both?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
daily driver / toy / work

I have a holiday trailer and a pretty heavy cargo trailer. Need some torque.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well I wouldnt go crazy then, maybe stroke it, slightly hotter cam and some good flowin heads...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts