Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here. Loving this forum so far.

I just took the top off my Bronco for the first time. I was told that leaving it outside vs. garaged would kill the interior. I.e. bugs and overnight moisture would wreck havoc on the interior. Would this actually happen or am I being too careful?

For reference, my Bronco has been garaged all of its life, never had the top off, up until now, so the interior is in very nice shape. I live in western Washington, and summer is obviously right around the corner. Forecast says no rain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I leave my top off all the time and park it under a tree. You end up having to vacuum out stuff falling from the tree of course, but I haven't noticed my interior getting damaged at all. I've had the freak summer rain storm hit once or twice and the interior help up just fine. I personally have removed all the carpet and the interior has seen better days thanks to drunk friends but leaving it out should not be a problem. 3 years topless and the seats looked just like the day I got the truck.....excepts for damage from drunk buddies.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
No, I don't think you are being to careful. Yes, your interior would be exposed to the elements. So what do you think the elements would do to your interior?
Some people have it off all year, maybe those people don't care bout dusty, dirty damp/wet, bird pooped interiors.
My interior is pristine and the top is never coming off. Although the top is "removable" I really don't think Ford wanted you to remove it or they wouldn't have made it such a pain in the ass to do or integrated the seat belts into the top, 92-96.
Its pretty much a use your common sense type of thing

·
Registered
375 Posts
All it takes is one rain storm. Then you will be on here asking how to get some of the electronic things working again. Make sure to spray the fuse box with the electrical connector protection stuff

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
buy a soft top if you want to leave it off.. :thumbup

·
Registered
180 Posts
My top stays off from March until October. I park it in the garage, and pretty much only drive it when the weather is nice during that season. During hunting season (Oct to March) the top stays on. Now I swapped my carpet for a rubber floor, and my back seat is vinyl. If I do get caught in a pop up rain storm, I just fold my backseat up to minimize the amount of rain it catches and roll on. I have noticed that on the highway the back seat pretty much stays dry as long as I am moving, but once I stop it gets wet. Haha. It's been rained in plenty of times with no electrical issues at all up to this point BTW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run adhesive weatherstripping along the bed rail to cover the exposed holes for top bolts. I run it all the way around including up the cab as there are three bolt holes there as well. Also, rain does puddle in the bed sometimes. Especially in the receiver cup where the back seat catch is. I sprayed the backseat with 303 and fold it forward when I know rain is coming. I take the top off for roughly 7 months

·
Registered
728 Posts
Once I get to that point, mine probably will run without a top, in the summer, most of the time. I won't have any carpet to worry about, as that is all coming out. I plan on using Lizard Skin, then a truck bed coating, to the floor of mine.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey, enjoy the feeling.

Now that the top is off, is a good time to assess the need to restore or replace the hard top rubber gaskets. I replaced mine, and it took a couple of hours to remove the old rubber from the hard top. Store the hard top inside if possible and treat the rubber gaskets with something to keep them flexible if you plan to reuse them next fall.

If also suggest treating the seats very often with a product of your choice to keep them from fading. It would also be a good idea to install some cheap seat covers to lessen the impact.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
All good advice here... The level of extra protection you provide the interior is in direct relation to how much you care about the interior of the truck. Sun will fade/damage fabrics (seats, carpet), plastics and press board panels (interior rear quarter). Rain will do the same, but will also soak into your carpet and insulation and mildew and or cause rust. Seat covers and rust protecting your tub are good starts. Carry a large tarp with plenty of bungees so you can cover it quickly if needed...

·
Registered
363 Posts
No, I don't think you are being to careful. Yes, your interior would be exposed to the elements. So what do you think the elements would do to your interior?
Some people have it off all year, maybe those people don't care bout dusty, dirty damp/wet, bird pooped interiors.
My interior is pristine and the top is never coming off. Although the top is "removable" I really don't think Ford wanted you to remove it or they wouldn't have made it such a pain in the ass to do or integrated the seat belts into the top, 92-96.

Tend to agree with these sentiments.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I accidentally left my windows down over night and it rained like hell. The one electrical thing I have (radio) worked just as bad as it always did. I have seat covers, vinyl and rubber floors too though. All now very clean.:thumbup

·
Registered
470 Posts
Congrats on taking the roof off! I took my roof off a few weeks ago and so far nothing bad has gotten into it. As long as you stay on top of the weather it's no different than riding a motorcycle.

Also, welcome to FSB! Now that the roof is off you must be happier with the truck. Got any photos of it?

Here's mine:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,660 Posts
N.E. WA here and I just took my top off! :rockon

Can't even imagine not taking advantage of one of the coolest features of a Bronco.
Morning dew can be a little problematic and sun damage can be easily underestimated.
Nothing that a little extra care and keeping an eye on the weather report can't deal with though.

temp top... for those "surprise" rain storms... (old Bronco, not my current one)

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
As long as it doesnt get rained on you should be ok. A tarp works wonders

·
Registered
263 Posts

I run all summer long without the hard top. This bikini top and tonneau I made works well to deal with any rain that comes my way. The most I'll do is flip all the seat foreward so I have someplace dry to sit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I plan on leaving mine off in the warm months, but it'll stay in the garage if any chance of rain

·
Registered
80 Posts
I generally leave my trucks out in a tractor shed, as my show car and race car take up my two main shop spots most of the year. How do the interiors stand up to top off but at least under a roof most of the time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ford had to integrate the seat belts with the top in the 92 model year. It was a federal requirement starting in 1991 for all rear seats in SUVs to have shoulder belts. This is why they switched to the safety torx bolts as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts