Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at different mounting possibilities for mounting a led light bar. The ideal spot would be tucked under my visor. It's up high and kinda concealed; I think it would look awesome. My only concern is the amount of weight/ stress on te visor. It weighs 16.5lb with the box it's shipped in and is 54" long. Looking for other opinions if the visor can handle the weight. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1994 EB 351 (Sold)
276 Posts
If your talking about the Lund style visors on the outside I think they have vents to direct airflow from the wind shield up and out. Blocking those vents may stress the visor too much ripping it from the mounts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your talking about the Lund style visors on the outside I think they have vents to direct airflow from the wind shield up and out. Blocking those vents may stress the visor too much ripping it from the mounts.
I didn't think about blocking those vents that's a good point.

·
Banned
33,702 Posts
No, the air pressure won't break the visor, regardless of a light bar.

But putting a light bar where it can scatter light onto the hood is counterproductive; you want the truck to be dark, and the TERRAIN to be illuminated. It'll be like driving with the dome lamp on.

Either put it far enough back on the roof that the visor casts a shadow on the hood, or put it in front of the grille, or just use smaller (more-effective & -versatile) lights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the air pressure won't break the visor, regardless of a light bar.

But putting a light bar where it can scatter light onto the hood is counterproductive; you want the truck to be dark, and the TERRAIN to be illuminated. It'll be like driving with the dome lamp on.

Either put it far enough back on the roof that the visor casts a shadow on the hood, or put it in front of the grille, or just use smaller (more-effective & -versatile) lights.
I was gonna throw two on my brush guard but they would be useless in high grass. I don't like the look of them directly on the roof. Would a smaller one, say 24", on the hood in front of the cowl provide good light in high grass? Or would it just light my hood as well? I've seen jeeps with lights on the hood, not flush with the hood.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is your lightbar straight or curved ?

I enjoy the 70s/80s era Lund visor so wanted to keep it, and tucking the lightbar underneath is challenging so we bolted the 52" straight lightbar on-top of the cab.

Would like to see how the curved lightbar matches the Bronco's curved windshield -- a curved lightbar is likely the only way to have a 50-54" lightbar tucked under the visor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't purchase one yet. I thought about a curved one but they're very expensive. That bar doesn't look that bad up top. Decent light? Maybe I will do that plus one on the brush guard.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I didn't purchase one yet. I thought about a curved one but they're very expensive.
A forum member on this thread is selling the 50" curved for the same $250 price as the straight. Note, that mine didn't come from him. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313522

That bar doesn't look that bad up top. Decent light? Maybe I will do that plus one on the brush guard.
I'll post back, havn't had a chance to wheel it yet with the lightbar wired-up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a couple days I will have a 34" lightbar to put ony brush guard. I think it'll work for me because it doesn't stick out in the open and the light will be places right out front

·
Registered
402 Posts
I didn't purchase one yet. I thought about a curved one but they're very expensive. That bar doesn't look that bad up top. Decent light? Maybe I will do that plus one on the brush guard.
sorry Scazz, now have these photos

Close-up of 52" :

Headlights only :

then with Lightbar on :

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is how I mounted my 40" on my '80. I just bolted it straight to my hood.

It works good for me, except when I plow through the deeper water holes with speed, then all the water flies up and the light reflects off of the water and blinds me. but I imagine that is a problem with any light source above the hood line.

Here is another shot that I took with my phone, so its pretty crappy.

And a closer one to show 2 things, one how I mounted it (all of a 5 minute job) and 2, that you can flex TTB :thumbup just had to throw that in there.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,428 Posts
I'm mounting my 50" off the roof via magnets for plowing - pics to come.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am building a rail mount for mine, but the first version will be a bit ugly since I was limited to lowes and home depot for steal so the best it could get was 3" wide pieces of 1/8". The hardest part is it needs to mount about at around 6-7" (at the center of the bar height) higher then the rails to clear the roof. Even with the 52" bar the rails are about 59" apart, so you're looking at going up 6-7" and in 3.5" from the rail to the mounting point on each side of the bar.

These are for an F-150, but would probably fit a Bronco as well.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I bought a set of mounts from KahlKreations.com this summer and only recently got them mounted up. So far, they hold up well. I did kinda screw up the sizing of my light bar and had to come up with a set of extensions but I got it worked out. The thing I like about these mounts is that, even though they clamp to the rain gutter, the weight of the light is put onto the roof of the cab, rather than the gutters themselves. The gutters just keep the mount from shifting around. Holds up well at highway speeds too. Now I just need to figure out how to wire the damn thing up so I can use it.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,428 Posts
Wonder how magnets will be for DD...? I'm thinking i may go with one on the front bumper
They are 150lb magnets on each side - way overkill.

How does it hold up to highway speeds? Any shifting?
I have not mounted it - blew the motor and swapping a transmission in right now. I had a 7" bar on the hood with a much smaller magnet and it never moved, so a pair of 150lb magnets should be more than enough. I'll know soon-

1 - 20 of 86 Posts