Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

181 - 200 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
little red welding wagon.
i like it! i can't wait to see it.

Temperature is the most important thing, especially with sheet metal.
It is way too easy to burn right through.

Just start out low and work your way up, practice on that scrap hood.
good advice, was gonna say the same. i practiced on a bunch of scrap before i tried to burn anything that mattered!

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Anything new this is so cool
Nothing more than what you see. Getting to be that time of year where other things start to get more important. Next on the agenda is cutting out the back floor. Then maybe I start to welding.

Hey Rick -- Northern Tool has some nice, inexpensive welding carts. Saw one for like $79.00 in the new catalog.

Thanks Charlie, I just got the Norhern Catalog in the mailbox today.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
dont lose your forward movement, you still can do stuff while the kids are at school and your not working. i will even try to give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Next on the agenda is cutting out the back floor. Then maybe I start to welding.
Rick, welding is fun once you get the hang of it! The key is being able to see the weld pool as you go. With lighter welding settings and thinner metal it's harder to see. But pretty soon you'll be able to "hear" a good weld!

I think I would start welding the front floor pans before you cut out the back - having some welding experieince may change how you want to cut out the back floor. Also doing a little at a time and finishing an area will keep you motivated instead of seeing everything cut out and getting overwhelmed! But that's just how I would do it.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rick,
You gonna lap your patches or try to butt all joints?????

I have a few suggestions before you get started:
Get a bottle of gas and use solid wire,
practice with scrap pieces before you start on the floor,
ditto what Scoop said about watching the puddle,
get comfortable so you see everything,
you will probably learn to move much slower than you think you need to,
if you feel the gun pushing away turn the wire speed down,
if it pops a lot turn the speed up,
And that's it for now.

Good luck and great progress!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Sheesh, finally found your thread......can drive anything, can repair just about anything, will eat just about anything.....but I stink at using computers. Oh, and I don't want to hear anything about shoving all those goodies in our faces buddy, my MIG is a loaner..... Mr. new sheet metal and Lincoln welder guy.:thumbup
Where are you compared to Sandbridge? Pops bought a rental house there two years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Sheesh, finally found your thread......can drive anything, can repair just about anything, will eat just about anything.....but I stink at using computers. Oh, and I don't want to hear anything about shoving all those goodies in our faces buddy, my MIG is a loaner..... Mr. new sheet metal and Lincoln welder guy.:thumbup
Where are you compared to Sandbridge? Pops bought a rental house there two years ago.
Haha you like that! Yeah I need to blow the dust off that thing and burn some metal. Stay to the right on Princess Anne Road instead of Sandbridge Rd and I'm down in Pungo past the post office if you know where that is.

good job rescuing her
Thanks, need to show her some love soon!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I've been there (Sandbridge) a couple of times to help renovate the rental house, I bet I could find it.....sounds familiar. Might have to swing by there one day, only takes a couple of hours and the wife is always wanting to go "somewhere".

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
One year since the rescue, and no party? Amazing effort man. You got balls saving that thing. It was born exactly 2 days before me. Take good care of it!
Oh yeah, tells you how much attention I've shown the old girl lately. I'm at a turning point in the build. I have all the patch panels cut and layed out. I just need to secure them in there. I need to get a bottle for the welder and make sure I have the right wire. Then I need to get the balls to try it out. But most importantly I need to find the time. With three kids a wife and a fulltime job time is at a premium. Oh and I have two other Bronco's can't forget those. But hey I ain't complaining, things were a lot worse about 10 months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Rick, the way I look at it is like this....the bad areas are already FUBAR, you can't break them again, so just play around w/ it. That's what I'm doing, besides....Scoop will come over and weld both of ours if we mess them up too bad.:haha

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Since this thread has kinda come back to life. I went out today and fired up the old girl. Twenty pumps of the skinny pedal and ROAR! She fired up and ran nice. I put the welder in the back of the Bronco so they got to know each other a little better. Then I was going to back it up. But for some reason no pedal when I pushed the brakes. Rear ressivor was empty so lets put that back on the list.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
And the E-brake don't work? Come on, you're gonna tell me you've never driven a car with the E-brake 'cause the regular brakes went out? I'm the only guy that's done that? I bet ya a dollar it's the wheel cylinders.

181 - 200 of 421 Posts