Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

161 - 180 of 421 Posts

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
It's n00b day here on FSB. Not a complaint, mind you, but there seem to be a bumper crop of guys with 6 posts doing the "hey nice build keep it up" thing. Hopefully we'll see a corresponding spike in new build threads. :D
Spuke huh?

Oh dammit you fixed it!:histerica

·
Super Moderator
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Good for you! I have to say it's a bit unnerving to look right at the tire through the floor/kick panel area. LOL
Thanks! Uh yeah, try standing back and looking at "all" of the holes in this thing. It's a bit overwhelming. I cleaned that area out damn good a while back. Yet when I was mocking it up today damned if I didn't have more sand laying in there. :banghead

nice work rick, see you get alot done when i am not around to slow you down. keep plugging away at it. let me know if you need ahand with anything.
Thanks! It's going to take two sets of hands to lay all of this stuff out and tighten down.

Looks like fun. Take lots of pictures. If I ever get my stupid turn signals fixed I get to jump off into other stuff on mine. :thumbup
I'll do my best to get pics for ya. At the very least you can use if for how not to do it. :rofl:

Just read through your build, real impressive. I'm about to embark on a rebuild of a 79, reading your journal gives me more confidence that it can be done. Will follow you further as I'll have to do a lot of what you have already started.

Looking great congrats!
Thanks! It can be done thats for sure. Look at a couple of others on here that are current. I have learned a lot from reading. Throw up some pics of what you have. Always like to see what others have to work with, especially 78/79's.

keep pluggin away rick. steady progress is key....i should know my build lacks it big time!
I'm doing the best I can brother. I should get a little more done tomorrow. Don't forget about setting up a time for us to help you on yours.

Okay, now for what I got done after lunch today. Collin and Torrence my twin 5yo's were outstanding today. They only had a few issues outside today. So I got the driverside roughed in. I can't say that I am done fitting and cutting. I will have to see how it buttons down. I am pleased that I got this far. Though it may not seem that far to others. Now the pics.

Being green and recycling the good sheet metal from the hood. I have lots left. Good thing, I have lots more holes to fill.

Here are a few pics of the pieces of the puzzle. I am not going to screw it in place until I get the bodymount replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's n00b day here on FSB. Not a complaint, mind you, but there seem to be a bumper crop of guys with 6 posts doing the "hey nice build keep it up" thing. Hopefully we'll see a corresponding spike in new build threads. :D
Hey! I did that back in December when I first joined. Most people probably did. Just a way to try to get into the community. I did my flush of posts, and now I mostly just read through the site. (I know I'm still nooby with my 100 somethin posts haha) but it's a great site and people just want to fit in. Btw I'm not flaming or anything just putting out my opinion on why people do that.

And I will eventually start a build thread, gotta get my rig away from being all stock, but the money has to start rolling in first :rofl:

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Thanks! Uh yeah, try standing back and looking at "all" of the holes in this thing. It's a bit overwhelming. I cleaned that area out damn good a while back. Yet when I was mocking it up today damned if I didn't have more sand laying in there. :banghead

Okay, now for what I got done after lunch today. Collin and Torrence my twin 5yo's were outstanding today. They only had a few issues outside today.
I can understand where you're coming from. I had a fair bit of cancer on my '79 and it was pretty intimidating. I was still going to keep it until I went looking for an inexpensive C6 on Craigslist but accidentally found a $500 '78 Bronco (with a C6) that had almost no rust at all... so I parted out the '79 and kept the '78. No cancer now. :rockon

Hey! I did that back in December when I first joined. Most people probably did. Just a way to try to get into the community. I did my flush of posts, and now I mostly just read through the site. (I know I'm still nooby with my 100 somethin posts haha) but it's a great site and people just want to fit in. Btw I'm not flaming or anything just putting out my opinion on why people do that.

And I will eventually start a build thread, gotta get my rig away from being all stock, but the money has to start rolling in first :rofl:
Believe me, it's not a dig. I think practically everyone starts by doing that. I was just surprised at how many threads I saw that day with the ubiquitous "nice build, some day" comments. Introductions are great and we've all got to start somewhere. Hell, I'm still a rookie next to many of these guys and I've got over 1,000 posts. :toothless

·
Super Moderator
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Let me know if you ever need help, I'm free most times. Ive never done metal work, but am willing to give it a try
I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Coming along good, Rick. I hope that wasn't your good hood you took the patch from! lol
Not a good hood, believe it or not rusted through.

I can understand where you're coming from. I had a fair bit of cancer on my '79 and it was pretty intimidating. I was still going to keep it until I went looking for an inexpensive C6 on Craigslist but accidentally found a $500 '78 Bronco (with a C6) that had almost no rust at all... so I parted out the '79 and kept the '78. No cancer now. :rockon

I haven't found one of those yet.

Believe me, it's not a dig. I think practically everyone starts by doing that. I was just surprised at how many threads I saw that day with the ubiquitous "nice build, some day" comments. Introductions are great and we've all got to start somewhere. Hell, I'm still a rookie next to many of these guys and I've got over 1,000 posts. :toothless
We all have to start somewhere, Thanks!

I was back at it today in the morning and the afternoon. I went to work on the passenger side. I trimed up the replacement pan a little to get it to fit. Of course I needed more than what they make. So back over to the old hood to get what I need. It's roughed in for now. I got to get a few more things together and then maybe I will try my hand a welding. :rockon

I hit this area with the paddle wheel and cleaned it up. What I found is that this area is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Appears to only be surface rust under the bondo.

Next area that I am going to work on. After I get the bodymount situation straight.

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
Damn Rick, that makes mine look like a garage queen!

Have you welded before? I welded for the first time in 9+ years 2 weeks ago:toothless

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
Do you have shielding gas and solid core wire?

These 2 things make a much smoother weld.

·
Super Moderator
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Do you have shielding gas and solid core wire?

These 2 things make a much smoother weld.
I will keep that in mind when the time comes. I still have to get a bottle and helmet and open the box to see what all came with welder. Going to try and locate a nice cart or something to put the welder on for mobility issues.

man rick your really working your ass off on left for dead. thats awesome
Feels like it, I should be back at it again on Monday at the latest.

I'm loving it Rick...keep it up...have one of your kids video tape you weldin...i wanna see what comes of this :D
Will do Joe but I can't promise a high quality video by any means.

x2 on gas+solid wire. flux core sucks! solid wire is considerably cheaper too.
Oh don't worry Josh you will be very involved in the welding process. :haha

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
I made some cords for mine from some #10 cord used for my server racks to extend the range and put the welder and tank on a furniture mover.
You can see it in the back ground of this pic. That tank gets about 2-2.5 hours of welding time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You got your hands full on this one Rick.

Hey, if I can "weld" so can you..

And by weld I mean get two pieces of metal to stick together.... Mine don't look perty by any means, but after a lot of grinding it cleans up.

·
OMF
2,919 Posts
Temperature is the most important thing, especially with sheet metal.
It is way too easy to burn right through.

Just start out low and work your way up, practice on that scrap hood.

161 - 180 of 421 Posts