Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why run your shock this way? Is there an advantage to inverting it? I'm just curious. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably? High end shocks are inverted. A seal is a seal. They should be ok. But why?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I changed my shocks out yesterday with Rancho 5000's and the piston rod is at the top. I could have mounted them the way in picture. That's not my shocks in the picture. I found that pic in another post and it peaked my curiosity. I was just wondering if I should have mounted my shocks upside down for better performance. ???

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Those shocks are probably not mounted correctly. From this good tech page-
http://www.4x4review.com/feature/shock-genius.asp

Unless your shocks are specifically designed to be mounted upside down or designed to be mounted in either direction, please follow the rule stated above for dual shocks. As a rule, dual tube shocks should never be mounted upside down. Some people say that monotube or gas pressurize shocks can be mounted upside down, however in time they will develop and extra inch or more of piston travel that has little to no dampening effect whatsoever. Ultimately: don’t mount shocks upside down just because it looks cool. Sometimes a shock must be mounted upside down due to space limitations, or to protect the shock body, if this is the case, make sure you use a shock designed to be mounted upside down.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
some shocks can be mounted upside down. there are many reasons clearence, dirt will not sit in the seal area and looks. the boot is another thing for chatting on why have it? looks and rod protection? mostly looks as they are vented and allow stuff in and not get out too easy. when i pulled my shocks the water and mud trapped in the boot made me get sick---it smell real bad........i now will not waste the extra $$ on boots. as for inverted or piston side up i still not locked down on yet....mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually used the boots that came with my Ranchos this time. I run the beach and Sal****er really takes it's toll on the exposed shock rod. I'll try them for a while and see what happens. Maybe they will keep the sand and sal****er out instead of in.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I used the boots on my first set of Rancho's, after pulling the boots off, one of the shocks had a rusted shaft and the top of the shock was covered with rust. Because of water getting trapped in the boot. I didn't use the boots on my new Rancho shocks.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Kenny's 94 said:
I used the boots on my first set of Rancho's, after pulling the boots off, one of the shocks had a rusted shaft and the top of the shock was covered with rust. Because of water getting trapped in the boot. I didn't use the boots on my new Rancho shocks.
I see. You do know that water will still rust the section of the shaft that does not compress into the shock without the boot on right? The shock shaft will rust, get knicked and scored without the boot on much easier than with it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
IIRC I have read on this forum that Rancho will void their warranty if you mount the shocks upsidedown........I am not sure but I think it was due to a valving issue and subsequent leakage.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
FordBroncoLover said:
I see. You do know that water will still rust the section of the shaft that does not compress into the shock without the boot on right? The shock shaft will rust, get knicked and scored without the boot on much easier than with it.
No it won't. I have run with no boots, and do go to sandlake (the beach) at least several times a year. No boots is the way to go. But mount the shocks with rods up top. None of my shocks have any spot of rust on them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
With the boots off I can see whats going on. When I wash the Bronco I wash the shaft and the top of the shock to remove any grit around the seal. So far no problems.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
some shocks have to be mounted that way. i put shocks on a 98 dodge 1500 i belive. they were ranchos not sure what model. first time i must ahve put them in upside down and they made a wicked noise if you hit a bump or bounce the truck up and down i switched them and the noise was gone. it was prety werid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts