Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know what the approximate length of the passenger brake line(front). I am going to have to replace the steel line to that wheel cause the darn flare nut just wouldn't cooperate. I have sprayed pb, I have heated it, and all it gave me is one rounded off flare nut.:banghead I am going to give it one more go round with a pair of vise grips and see if I can get it off but am still probably going to replace it as I don't know if I want to cut it and try and re-flare it. Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

I am installing ext. brake lines so if I were to cut it back an inch it wouldn't kill my length on the flex line. How hard is it to cut and re-flare?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Take some string and run it the length. Measure that when you get it. Get slightly longer 3-5" steel line.

You could cut and splice in a smaller length tubing. I've done that on several occasions.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have a flaring tool kit ? and the fitting ?
No I have to go buy whatever I decide to use in the morning. This problem presented itself after the wife left for work.:doh0715: So I have just been trying to figure out what is the best way to remedy the problem. I am probably just gonna go buy a length of steel line in the morning. I will be working on that until you and Jason(if gonna make it) get here. I am just freakin hoping that I can get the darn thing done tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No I have to go buy whatever I decide to use in the morning. This problem presented itself after the wife left for work.:doh0715: So I have just been trying to figure out what is the best way to remedy the problem. I am probably just gonna go buy a length of steel line in the morning. I will be working on that until you and Jason(if gonna make it) get here. I am just freakin hoping that I can get the darn thing done tomorrow.
Then also get the tube bender, they are not expensive at all. It will help you bend the tube. You can bend the tube by hand, but you may introduce a kink on the wall when doing so. Bending the kink out will crack the tube and you are back to where you started. Get 2 tubings because it'll be easier to return the extra with a running and stopping truck rather than to stop and go back to the store for another. LOL. I think I have learned that lesson, just do use it enough.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then also get the tube bender, they are not expensive at all. It will help you bend the tube. You can bend the tube by hand, but you may introduce a kink on the wall when doing so. Bending the kink out will crack the tube and you are back to where you started. Get 2 tubings because it'll be easier to return the extra with a running and stopping truck rather than to stop and go back to the store for another. LOL. I think I have learned that lesson, just do use it enough.

I will first try bending with a can of spray paint. If that fails then I will figure something out. I have to get through this as cheaply as possible. I run electrical conduit ALOT(being an electrician) I am sure that I can bend some brake lines. I am sure that the can o spray paint will work as a great bending shoe.:toothless The 2tubes makes a good point, it is much easier than having to go get another if I do screw it up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a couple of brake line benders but usually just use a can of paint, frame, tire, etc...whatever matches the curve I need. Reflaring a brake line isn't bad IF you buy a decent flaring tool. Napa has some decent ones for around $50.

Derek

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well that line is a LONG one!!! You have 4 wheel ABS right? The line starts at the ABS pump on the front drivers side wheel well. The right front wheel line is the rear most one.[ya, the one with the REAL tight bend RIGHT behind the shock tower!!] It runs down the frame rail to the engine cross member, over, and out to the pas wheel. Guessing, I am saying its about 70-80 in. If your lucky the line at the pump is good, then I would splice it in on the frame rail, and carry the new line across from there.

Now they also make DOT leagle compression fittings for brake lines. Some people love them, and some hate them. I have used them before with good luck.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well you can join two shorter ones together. They make unions for that reason. Probably be a lot easer anyways. Bend a short one from the ABS pump, back to the Xmenber, and another one from there to the wheel. It will make it a LOT easer to work around the wires, other pipes, and the steering shaft! [and I JUST did mine last weekend. So its still fresh in my mind. :D]

·
Registered
897 Posts
Oh, and you will need a adapter for the line that goes into the ABS pump. Its a bigger fitting with a bubble flair end. It adapts the standerd 3/16 line, US thred, normal thred line to the pump. Best bet is cut that end off the old line, and bring it to the parts store with you. I BELIVE the part you want is a Edelmann # 265000. Also I found it a LOT easer to cut a little of the fender liner away, to give a little more room at the pump.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just found out that the pump end is a different size. I am now considering cutting and flaring the line near the X-member. I am also getting ready to cut part of the wheel well away. I couldn't even get a wrench on the fitting at the pump. Napa has a 81"line and a couple of 72"lines so if I replace the whole thing I should be ok.

s1120-- How in the world did you get an adapter in the pump and maintain the line formation behind the shock tower?

·
Registered
897 Posts
LOL!!!! Thats why I did not replace THAT line at the pump!!! I did the other teo, but that one I spliced into at the Xmember. Luckly it was in pretty nice shape up there!! The others I bent up, then back [thus the cut liner. :D] and made the fitment a lot easer. They packed them in there didnt they??

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn sure did. I didn't end up having to replace the line. I got everything back together and started to bleed the brakes and the banjo is leaking like a broke levy.LOL I used new washers and don't know what I am missing.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Old washer still there? Rust in the way???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts