Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone turn the rear leaves around to lengthen the wheelbase? Looks like you could get 6" by doing it. I have moved the gas tank and would like to add a Klune-V. A little bit longer wheelbase would make it rock better and I don't mind cutting out the fenders. I tried seaching under lengethening, flipping springs etc etc to no avail. Pinion angle may need adjustment, may need a longer brake line, and to move the shock mounts on the frame. Any other considerations. Trail rig mostly but driven to the trails.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
never heard of it being done, doesnt seem like it would hurt any if everything was moved back about 6''

you might need to lengthen your driveshaft too...

the only thing would be a really weird gap int he fender when you cut it (a huge space from where the fenderwell used to be and where you lengthened it)

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
you will need to lengthen the driveshaft, move the shock mounts and like you already said the fuel tank as well. if you are running an ebrake you will need to lengthen the cables.

only real downside to this mod is the increased axle wrap because the front end of the spring is now effectively longer and more likely to tweak under torque.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy351 said:
you will need to lengthen the driveshaft, move the shock mounts and like you already said the fuel tank as well. if you are running an ebrake you will need to lengthen the cables.

only real downside to this mod is the increased axle wrap because the front end of the spring is now effectively longer and more likely to tweak under torque.
Labor intensive but doable. The traction bar will stop the wrap. The leaves may be a short term fix till it gets a 4-link. I'd still have to move everything anyway to get the longer wheelbase with the 4-link.

Anybody done this? Pirate search is down though there is a post over there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hit up muddinmike here on teh boards.....he has done it with his 78 bronco. Flipped his rears around and cut the tub. runs 44's on it as well and flexes like mad

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stupid question....but why would you lengthen the wheel-base on a Bronco? One of my favorite things about my Bronco is being able to spin it around on tight trails (ok, not a tiny Jeep - but still pretty nimble).

Anyway, just a thought...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pegasus said:
Stupid question....but why would you lengthen the wheel-base on a Bronco? One of my favorite things about my Bronco is being able to spin it around on tight trails (ok, not a tiny Jeep - but still pretty nimble).

Anyway, just a thought...
6" will make it climb/rock better and will accomodate the added length of a Klune-V. I won't have to shorten the rear drive shaft and will avoid possible problems with too much angle on the drive shaft. Though it will increase the turning radius.

Thanks for the replies. I'll PM Mudinmike and Plug.

·
Registered
255 Posts
buster said:
6" will make it climb/rock better and will accomodate the added length of a Klune-V. I won't have to shorten the rear drive shaft and will avoid possible problems with too much angle on the drive shaft. Though it will increase the turning radius.

Thanks for the replies. I'll PM Mudinmike and Plug.

I could be wrong on this and maybe someone can explain it to me if I am, but I thought for rock crawling you want a shorter wheel base. It seems like most rock crawlers use short wheelbase vehicles(ie jeeps, toys, Short wheelbase chevs). I always thought that a short wheelbase would do better rockcrawling because it would not get high centered as easy. But I dont know from experience because I have never been rockcrawling. I do mostly trail riding and for that I love the short wheelbase.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rvcam said:
I could be wrong on this and maybe someone can explain it to me if I am, but I thought for rock crawling you want a shorter wheel base. It seems like most rock crawlers use short wheelbase vehicles(ie jeeps, toys, Short wheelbase chevs). I always thought that a short wheelbase would do better rockcrawling because it would not get high centered as easy. But I dont know from experience because I have never been rockcrawling. I do mostly trail riding and for that I love the short wheelbase.
The 113" I will get with this mod will rock great. Sure it will loose some breakover angle but it will gain climbing ability with less weight transfer to the rear and less overhang/better departure angle at the back.

You will find that most jeeps and toys have lengthened their wheelbase to rock better. This willbe a bit longer but is also heavier and wider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts