Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duplicate of C3R post:

I've succummed to economics and decided to lengthen a couple of passenger's axles for my TTB 2.5" as an interim step to a $550 300M unit. I've read here and there of people who have done this successfully and experienced favorable results, but don't remember where. I believe Camburg has done it or outsourced it, but will not provide info. Most likely for liability concerns.

My questions are:
  • Do any of you know the process?
  • It's a factory axle. What spacer material is required? I was considering 4140 or 41L40 if HT is required.
  • Do I need to draw it back and re-heat treat after welding?
  • Does the axle need to be straightened after welding and/or HT?
My plan is to cut the axle and size the two ends. Then bore the spacer for .001" press/1" deep. The OD will be approximately .25" larger than the axle OD, leaving a nice shoulder for the TIG bead.

Any input is appreciated.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,598 Posts
I'm interested in this also... for the same reason...economics.

All I've ever heard of the process is cut and sleeve the stock axle to keep cost down. Nothing technical. Contact Griffin/Convoy-I was talking with him about it on Monday? IIRC.
Not sure thats much help for ya, but might get you in the right direction.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Without a heavy foot and sandy conditions the cut and sleeving technique should hold up fine if done correctly. If you break a set, back to the junkyard for some more cheapies. I would talk to Bobby at Solo.

I've talked to CTM a while back and he suggested rear Chevy axle shafts he had laying in his shop and cutting them down and re-splining.

I just can't validate 300m axle shafts, unless the price has come down since I last checked. What prices have people gotten recently?

BTW: Thank you Tom and Tim for the Brackets. It was nice meeting you Tom. Have a safe voyage to Utah.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I would be very interested in what might work there too. I have had bad luck with the only attempt I made to do that with a pair of D60 axles..they quickly broke (parent axle shaft metal) right next to the weld zone...as I suspected they would.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without a heavy foot and sandy conditions the cut and sleeving technique should hold up fine if done correctly. If you break a set, back to the junkyard for some more cheapies. That's the thought. I would always have a spare or two at the ready. I would talk to Bobby at Solo. Thanks Griffin

I just can't validate 300m axle shafts, unless the price has come down since I last checked. What prices have people gotten recently?CTM wanted $475 for a 4340 axle and $550 for a 300M. Being that close, I would just go for the 300M. Interesting enough, CTM welds the yokes onto the ends of the 300M shafts.

I would be very interested in what might work there too. I have had bad luck with the only attempt I made to do that with a pair of D60 axles..they quickly broke (parent axle shaft metal) right next to the weld zone...as I suspected they would. That's my concern. Experience says no, but a few have done it successfully. They may have started with 4340 axles and used a like spacer, then re-HT'd and straightened.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be very interested in what might work there too. I have had bad luck with the only attempt I made to do that with a pair of D60 axles..they quickly broke (parent axle shaft metal) right next to the weld zone...as I suspected they would.
Just curious. Did you size them and use an interference/press fit on the spacer? That's important, because it reduces the load on the weld.

·
Registered
576 Posts
CTM wanted $475 for a 4340 axle and $550 for a 300M. Being that close, I would just go for the 300M. Interesting enough, CTM welds the yokes onto the ends of the 300M shafts.
That's a great price from a great company. I believe cut and sleeve would run about $400 from Solo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Solo cuts and sleeves. When I was at Spirit we just cut two axles for the length, ground down both ends to points and then built the whole thing up by mig welding. Sounds hokey but it would work on their 4x4 van conversions E-350 with 460's so it should work for a Bronco just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
That's a great price from a great company. I believe cut and sleeve would run about $400 from Solo.

What does the CTM price include? Just the driver side shaft?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yikes,

Did you end up machining the axle for a press fit? and what type of tubing and size did you use? Did you build a jig of some type to keep it straight and did it need to be straightened or balanced or anything after doing this?

Sorry for the questions, Ive just ran into a few small snags here and there and I want to make sure the axles I build wont break. Im still not 100% confident in this department so if yuo have any insight It would help me out quite a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts