Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know what I learned this weekend about carburetors and chokes (specifically Edelbrock vs Holley, and manual vs electronic choke).

I've been running (or trying to run) an Edelbrock 1405 manual choke 600 CFM carb on my 79 Bronco for a while now, and have never been happy. It's always been really hard to start, even with the manual choke operating properly. Seems to gunk up really easy, and I was constantly make adjustments. I built the 400 to Paul's PJB specs (badger pistons, comp cams 255DEH, about 9:1 compression, etc).

Well, last week there was a pricing mistake on Amazon for the Holley 770 CFM truck avenger (model 90770) for $290 new (not rebuilt), so I snagged it as quick as I could. Installed it this weekend (really easy), cranked it, and it started right away, even though the Bronco has been sitting for almost a year. Electric choke works perfectly, great throttle response in all ranges, etc.

So what I learned:

1) Electric chokes are awesome
2) Holley carbs are awesome
3) Just because someone says that a 600 CFM carb should be sufficient for a mildly built 400, doesn't mean it works for all applications of such.

I realize I made a bunch of changes all at once, and who knows exactly which one had the most effect, but I highly recommend the electric choke Holley Truck Avenger series, and would NOT go back to a manual choke Edelbrock, even if it was the bigger CFM size.

·
Registered
343 Posts
so what your saying is that I should remove you from the list of people I was going to try to sell my edelbrick 750 to???

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
my edelbrock 1406 600cfm has been going on 4 yrs. strong now......never rebuilt, starts easy after sitting for weeks.....i would def. buy another if i had to.i used to be a die hard holley fan myself, but i couldn't pass up the $50 i gave for this one that was pulled from who knows what from a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your 600 CFM edelbrock is enough carb for your 460? That's impressive!

For what it's worth, I think the choke operation had a lot to do with why my truck was so hard to start. The 1406 is electric choke too, right?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
your 600 CFM edelbrock is enough carb for your 460? That's impressive!

For what it's worth, I think the choke operation had a lot to do with why my truck was so hard to start. The 1406 is electric choke too, right?
honestly....i don't run the choke.i took the plate out and saved it (case i ever sold it)but it runs fine.only time it's a little hard to start is if it gets down in the 20's or something (rare).
stock 460's from the 70's came with 5-600 cfm from the factory, so yeah......my motor is a stocker (low compression)only thing i did was put in a straight up timing set, new dist., and fired it up after sitting for 5-6 yrs.runs great.:thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts