Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will start the build of my 1992 XLT. This project started in Nov of 2012 when I traded in a 2005 F250 King ranch. I was not looking for anything specific, but I found this 92 that looked super clean and this started the journey.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
No hate here! Welcome. I am still planning stage in my 83 rebuild to put a king ranch interior in

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After about 4 months I new I wanted to build this into something but I didn't know what. I was watching Extrema Off Road and saw a soled axel swap done on a late model Blazer. I thought that would be cool. I did not have a plan of where I wanted to go but this was as good a plan as any I thought. I started looking for a axel to be swapped which I found in a small junk yard in Tonopah. A Dana 44 from a ? and I got it for $250.

Side note if you don't have a clear plan expect to spend twice as much money because you will end duplicating your work.

I found Jeff's Bronco Grave Yard (what a mistake) I ordered a Yukon Grisly locker for the 8.8 with 4.56 gears heavy duty axels (the guy at JBG said Yukon did not make chromoly for the 8.8). The new Dana 44 would get a Yukon limited slip with 4.56 gears also and chromoly axels.

This is where it started in my driveway. I pulled the 8.8 rear end and took it to Arizona Differential to be built.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'll give you a little hate..... on how nice all the vehicles keep out in the desert.

Almost makes those 110 degree days worth it. I have been flying into Chandler Arizona every 6 weeks for the past year. I started in August and I thought it was crazy to live out there. It was like everything was dying under that relentless sun... and then I flew back to Georgia and had to cut the grass every weekend because everything was green and growing... with plenty of rain. Then November and December came around and I got it. I thought Arizona was the promised land. I have definitely considered moving out there. I just have this fear of not being able to bug out on a moments notice. If the Nukes flew tomorrow I would take my Bronco..... find a set of rail road tracks heading north.... and get the hell out of the city as fast as humanly possible. We have some really cool mountains in North Georgia, Western North Carolina that I would have no problem with living off the land. If anything even remotely crazy happens in Arizona... It is going to be an all out steel cage death match for water...… and you guys have some of the easiest laws to own firearms... so if you don't have water good luck taking it. You cannot get out of town without water, and there isn't any falling from the sky.... You are stuck hoping your ammo doesn't run out before your water supply.

I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,205 Posts
After seeing this bronco in Moab, you wont get any hate from me. Its built really well!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the rear end from AZ differential and installed it with 6" lift of standard springs. I got the same 6" coil lift for the front. After everything was installed in the rear I had to drive it to the shop that was installing the SAS.

I so wish I had a photo of this thing with the ass 6" in the air driving down the road. It could have been one of those Rat Fink cartoons in the hot rod magazine.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While the SAS was being done my wife and I were moving from our 1 acre in Tonopah to our 6.8 acres in Young. Young is Heaven, Tonopah is Hell well not hell but you go to hell and take a left, like far left.

We got the bronco back and they did a great job. If they were still in business they would be doing the engine swap as we speak. I was very disappointed when I found this out. This is how it looked. It sets with 32X12.5 R15 looks sort of wimpy, actually very WIMPY,WIMPY,WIMPY!

So I found a set of 4, 35X12.5 R17 on crags list brand new for only $800. Got steel wheels 17"X9" 3.5 back space. Now it looks HEFTY,HEFTY,HEFTY!

After the wheels and tires a friend helped me to make some rock sliders that turned out good. One exception they were welded on, not bolted on with plates. That is some thing I need to fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always been a Jeep fan even after I got my Bronco. I have had 3 over the years and all of them better than the last. I use to point out to my wife "That is a beautiful Jeep, oh look at that one." She got tired of hearing this and said "I am tired of listening to you just get another Jeep and shut up." In 2014 I got a 2004 Rubicon ready for MOAB it was beautiful full role cage 35's real flexible suspension. It was the best Jeep I had to date.

I loved to take it in the back woods, so I stopped building the Bronco. The suspension was so flexible and the cage came right down my left shoulder I was constantly hitting my shoulder the one I had several surgery's on. The wife did not like ridding in it to cramped, and I found myself avoiding drive it.

So in 2017 we sold it and I was going to use that money to put in the Bronco like I should have in the first place. I started looking at different engines and different things I could do to up grade. Before I had spent any of the money my wife came to me and said I think you should hold onto this money until after we find out how much we have to pay in taxes.

Out of 15K I got 3K after taxes, I do like these bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I forgot. The first modification done to the Bronco was removing the front bench seat and replacing it with buckets. Not only buckets but buckets from a Dodge Minivan. I found a set of seats on craigslist that came out of a Dodge minivan. They were the second row seats that lift out, I cut the attachments brackets from the rails of the seat.

I built a rectangle frame that went completely across the inside of the bronco. I took the mounting brackets from the bench seat that was originally in the bronco, and attached them to each side of the frame. The brackets bolted into the original mounting points for the bench seat. The bucket seats which still had the adjustable sliders on them was bolted to the frame. And now adjustable bucket seats.

I installed a Tuffe security consul in between the seats that fit perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now back to the bumpers. I contacted Proto fab and ordered front and rear bumpers for my 92. It took them about five weeks to complete them. Since they are in Arizona off of I17 I chose to drive there and pick them up personally. It was good to see their operation they are a very capable fabrication shop. When it is time to have a roll cage built they will be where I go. The bumpers come in the white which means they need to be finished.

I set the bumpers on saw horses in the garage and used a flap desk on my grinder. This roughed up the surface enough to apply the acid etching primer. You need to ensure all of the surface area is rough including the inside area of the bumper. I purchased acid etching primer from u-pol which is the parent company for Raptor liner. The primer comes in spray cans and was of high quality, and for any other application other than black it would have worked well. When you are spraying black liner on top of black primer it is difficult to see what is primer and what is Liner.

I ran out of primer on the front bumper. I went to Pleasant Valley auto parts where they had Duperault color acid etching primer. This primer was in olive drab color which made it much easier to see where I was spraying the raptor liner.

Raptor liner has a slight sheen to it after it cures. It comes in liter size bottles that you add hardener to. The hardener comes in smaller bottles that is pre-measured, so all you need to do is pour the hardener into the bedliner bottle, and shake vigorously for two minutes. The instructions say apply a light coat first. After about 20 minutes apply your second coat. This stuff is not outrageously expensive, but I also didn’t want to waste any of it by letting it dry in the bottle.

The applicator/gun which comes in the kit screws directly to the 1 liter bottle. Attach the gun to your air hose, set it for the appropriate pressure and begin applying your first light coat. Do a test coat on a sheet of cardboard to get your pressure correct. You can change the texture of the finish by changing the air pressure.

I applied the liner to each bumper until they were lightly covered. I moved on to the next piece and kept going back-and-forth until I ran out of liner. I am not sure if that is how I should’ve done it but it turned out OK. I used six bottles to completely cover both bumpers.

With the remainder of the money from the jeep, I purchased a Smitty built X20 10,000 pound winch which is nicely nestled in that beautiful new bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I attended a meet and great in Phoenix. I was able to meet several members and get to know everyone. While I was there they had a flex ramp which I took advantage of. I was very disappointed in the amount of flex I was able to obtain.

While I was looking at the photos I took, I noticed the tail pipe was hanging quite low. I crawled under and found the tail pipe was broken out of the end of the muffler. I pulled the tail pipe off the hanger, and it threaded it off the axel, problem solved. WRONG!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my travels to the meet and great I found the Bronco was running hot. When I got home I checked out the clutch on the fan and found it was bad, my water pump was leaking out the weep hole so guess what.

I ordered a pump and fan clutch from JBG. The clutch was stock but I got a Flow Kooler high volume water pump. Not having time to do the swap myself and wanting to get the Bronco back on the road I took it to Pleasant Valley Garage. Nick got the rig back the next day.

About a month later I had to make a trip back to Phoenix. I was still hot and I wanted to test out the new clutch fan and water pump. Did my driving around the valley and noticed the AC would go warm when I was at a stop light, and the temp was still high. When I was fueling up the pressure in the tank was so high the nonlead nosily flap was holding the pressure in the tank. I found out later the exhaust was heating up the tank boiling the fuel.

On the way back up the hill my power steering went out. I thought great something else I need to fix. Thinking I could use Armstrong steering for the next three miles into Payson. As people were passing me I could see there windshield wipers were on. In law enforcement they call this a clue. I thought I should pull over and check it out

It wisent the power steering but antifreeze coming from a crack in my radiator. It made the serpentine belt come off causing all driver accessories to stop working.. This is when you know who your real friends are. I am about 80 miles from Young South of Payson. Who is going to come and get me I am absolute not leaving my baby here. Called Matt from the Cherry Creek Store, and he said he would be there as soon as he could.

About 2 hours latter Matt pulled up with his 20' trailer. We dropped the ramps and I drove it on. I knew I needed to change my approach to the Bronco. If this was not reliable it was worthless to me. The Bronco Invasion was fast approaching and I was not going to miss this.

Attachments

·
drop the gloves
47 Posts
I'll give you a little hate..... on how nice all the vehicles keep out in the desert.

Almost makes those 110 degree days worth it. I have been flying into Chandler Arizona every 6 weeks for the past year. I started in August and I thought it was crazy to live out there. It was like everything was dying under that relentless sun... and then I flew back to Georgia and had to cut the grass every weekend because everything was green and growing... with plenty of rain. Then November and December came around and I got it. I thought Arizona was the promised land. I have definitely considered moving out there. I just have this fear of not being able to bug out on a moments notice. If the Nukes flew tomorrow I would take my Bronco..... find a set of rail road tracks heading north.... and get the hell out of the city as fast as humanly possible. We have some really cool mountains in North Georgia, Western North Carolina that I would have no problem with living off the land. If anything even remotely crazy happens in Arizona... It is going to be an all out steel cage death match for water...… and you guys have some of the easiest laws to own firearms... so if you don't have water good luck taking it. You cannot get out of town without water, and there isn't any falling from the sky.... You are stuck hoping your ammo doesn't run out before your water supply.

I'll take off my tin foil hat now.
If we ever have a nuclear war, I want the first missile to hit me right on the head! Don't want to be around for the aftermath. As for the zombies or other bad guys, they won't get very far in my home town of Hondo, TX. They'll look like swiss-cheese in about 5 minutes!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the radiator cracked and the problem is overheating I decided to upgrade to an all aluminum 3 to 4 core radiator. I chose a Champion 3 core radiator with dual electric fan and a shroud from Left Eye Blind Racing.

I haven’t had any problem with my electrical system specifically the alternator, but I do intend on adding more electrical components. I’m not sure if the stock alternator would be adequate to support the Smitty built winch. So I decided to go with a 200 amp one wire alternator.

I got all items ordered and on their way.

In the meantime, I need a place to work on my rig I have been planning to build a shop and this was ass good a time as any.

I have had done some work in exchange for a 20 foot Connex. The conned was going to be part of the shop. Here is how the Bronco barn progress. Here is a friend of mine digging the footers with my skid steer

We got the pad set up using crushed granite and the forms are set ready for concrete to be poured.

This is a monolithic poor. We started with the footers which took about 5 yards of concrete.

We continued on with the rest of the floor which took 9 more yards of concrete.

I made 1 ft square plates with J hooks attached to them and these were placed on all the corners along with the areas center supports would be.

And Wala the floor is completed and ready for the building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received the parts I ordered shortly after the floor was poured. I wanted to get the building erected before I started working on the bronco. I knew it would be nicer and easier to work on the bronco in a more spacious shop then in a cramped cluttered garage.

I started with the center section which went up fairly easy.

I then went to the east wall and erected it.

The skid steer was not tall enough to raise the east wall completely. Using my OSHA compliant squeeze clamps I completed the task.

Next was the C channels and pearling to tie everything together. Also utilizing our OSHA compliant ladders, generally standing on the top run.

The roof and side walls were next to go up.

We used skylights in the east side of the roof which provides great lighting during the morning and early afternoon.

We completed the front, again utilizing our OSHA compliant ladders. Notice how Dave balances gracefully on the top runs of his ladder.

The structure is complete just needing doors and windows.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moab is coming up and getting the bronco into shape was priority one. I started with loading everything into my 1999 ranger and hauling all the parts to the Bronco barn.

I removing the old radiator and alternator from the bronco.

When you are starting a project such as this it is a very good idea to have a plan, I did not have a plan. I installed the radiator prior to the alternator. If I would’ve done this in reverse order ,I would’ve had more room and less chance of damaging the new radiator or fans.

Prior to installing this.

I had to do this.

Now it is time for me to go do this. WORK!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts