Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I just had to get my 1979 Bronco Custom SMOGed. If you are with me in thinking this is just stupid send a note to your state senator. Most states have a rolling age limit (Washington for example is any vehicle 25 years or older) for making vehicles SMOG exempt. If you are in favor of something like this message your state senator and let them know.

Find Address

Best,
79Peggy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really wish we could do something like this. But sadly, it will be nearly impossible to make any headroom in this.

The big picture is simple: the harder it is for you to comply with that old vehicle, the less likely you are to register it. Therefore, the air gets cleaner because you can't comply. You're forced to remove it from the state or destroy it. It's a win-win for them and there's very little you can do about it. We don't have a sunset provision anymore, unlike other states.

It's not a mistake.
It's not an oversight.

It's by design.
The Weasel is on track with this. And let's not forget the financial incentive for the state in this. If you are not going to be keeping that existing vehicle then you are likely going to buy another, either newer or brand new. They get to collect sales tax on that purchase, plus your registration fees are now going up because the value is now higher than your older car. And again, this is by design.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,526 Posts
yet another reason I left CA.

I feel for you folks still living there....... enough said out of the politics forum

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
We have the former Govenator to blame, Arnold decided not to extend the smog exemption beyond 1976 vehicles so unless there's a miracle we can work with DUMBO Gov. Jerry Brown we're shite out of luck......:shrug

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
More than willing! I believe that last year there was a bill that attempted to change the current smog exempt cutoff from 1975 to 1980. Unfortunately, the legislation could not make the deadline for deliberation, so it died a quiet death. Nonetheless, the legislation was introduced, which means it could happen again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
More than willing! I believe that last year there was a bill that attempted to change the current smog exempt cutoff from 1975 to 1980. Unfortunately, the legislation could not make the deadline for deliberation, so it died a quiet death. Nonetheless, the legislation was introduced, which means it could happen again.
It sure would be nice if the year was upped but I also like to breath. A lot of people that own these mid 70's to mid 90's vehicles are piss poor and don't spend a whole lot of money if any at all maintaining their vehicles to begin with. So it's a double edged sword if the law becomes amended.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am poor my self but know how to work on my vehicles to keep them in good working condition. Don't get me wrong I was not taking a crack at the poor just telling it like it is. Have you ever had to roll your window up because of a gross polluter sitting in traffic next to you? Not cool especially when the kids are in the car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I say the same thing about sitting on the bike behind a stank ass, coal rollin' diesel pickup. life's annoying at times.
Yeah I feel for ya there. California truckers have to add that chemical that makes the diesel smell horendous. Every once in a while my defroster will grab fresh air and I will be on the highway when all of a sudden I smell all the chemicals from a diesel truck that has the exhause that points down at the ground. I never understood why CARB and BAR allow the diesel exhaust to be pointed down at the ground when coming from large commercial 350+ horse powered tractors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is much easier to change something about you, than it is to change some else, especially when that someone else is the govt. Do any of you remember watching the TV series Friday Night Lights? There was a running back who played for a high school football team and was well on his way to getting a college scholarship. When someone realized he was in the playing for the wrong high school because of where he lived. I am not saying get another mailing address for your vehicle or get licensed as a smog tech and learn dozens of other ways to make your vehicle pass smog. But there are usually loop holes in most laws and it should not be only the rich and the politicians who get to exploit these loop holes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are locations in the mountains and areas that are low population with little options and not as many smog shops that vehicle owners only have to smog the vehicle one time ever when it is put in your name. I am not sure on this next one but I recal kit cars or home built cars being smog exempt as well. The second option could have changed if it was ever in effect.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,454 Posts
I don't smog test in my rural, WA county. You poor cali guys got some serious problems down there.
Although... the way Seattle and Olympia have been going, it won't be long before I'll have to sell the property and move to Idaho.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
A lot of 78-9 broncos have ended up in the scrapyard for this reason. Actually, a lot of cool cars. Anything post '75 is so undesirable here if it isn't already passing emissions its incredible.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Yes, it does suck that we must smog, I just did a smog on my Mustang Cobra. The Bronco is due next year, but we have our connections in the industry that can take care of the "modified" ones. :D

I didn't just say that. I am kidding.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The smog thing has been one of the main reasons I never moved to California, but I do love most everything else about the state. I grew up in southern Arizona and have too many modified vehicles to ever get them registered in CA. Two of mine are registered as collector vehicles so they are exempt from emissions, but not sure if that's an option there.

·
Registered
364 Posts
California had a rolling 25 year exemption for years and then the greenies got enough money in the pot to buy enough Sacramento legislators and end that exemption. I have two '69 Mustangs that are exempt, but my '95 Bronco will never be free. These guys are making a killing on the smog testing requirements. They really don't give a s**t about air quality, just about reaching into our wallets. The state gets a cut of every smog test fee.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,454 Posts
I just installed a fresh engine and did some replace/maintenance my working cali emissions crap... and had no legal obligation to do so.
does that make me a "tree-hugger"? :brownbag

1 - 20 of 22 Posts