Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just fell off my truck in the parking lot of work! dark out and have no clue what this is. Looks like a canister of some type. I am guessing it is something to do with the exhaust or by the exhaust that i forgot to tighten up or something

·
Registered
132 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm workin on my first ever legit smog here) but an evap can would have charcoal in it right? So there should be black "gravel" on the ground around there somewhere.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm workin on my first ever legit smog here) but an evap can would have charcoal in it right? So there should be black "gravel" on the ground around there somewhere.
i just went out side and looked and there was nothing. however i hear something bang on the way to work so it probably broke then and it could have fell off.
it is not the coffee can thing that attaches to the passenger wheel well.
where is the evap can?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and do i need it? truck seems to be running fine, other than being loud ass hell with no midpipe or muffler attached.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hahaha - no you don't really need that charcoal canister. Just replace your cat with a nice high-flow unit off eBay or other places mentioned by others wiser than I am, and you'll be fine. It looks like it was just clogged up.

Can even go back under the truck and hammer around the catalytic converters a bit (LIGHTLY, mind you!) and loosen up some more debris that'll be coughed up when you rev the engine a few times.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
that WAS the "muffler" for the air pump. There is a more technical name but I dont have my parts book. It sits on the passenger side inner fender, right behind the battery.

Daaaayum, so that's what they look like.

Still available from Ford NOS ....and only $1000+ (really)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha - no you don't really need that charcoal canister. Just replace your cat with a nice high-flow unit off eBay or other places mentioned by others wiser than I am, and you'll be fine. It looks like it was just clogged up.

Can even go back under the truck and hammer around the catalytic converters a bit (LIGHTLY, mind you!) and loosen up some more debris that'll be coughed up when you rev the engine a few times.
so it is hooked up to the exhaust? is that the tube that goes off the y pipe? if i plan on replacing the exhaust and running no cats then i would not need it anyhow right? i guess i really have to wait until it is light out so i can see the engine bay

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
...that's (the parts) not the evap canister.

It has nothing to do with the fuel system.

EDIT: ....nor the exhaust.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
in the pic, it's directly above the front coil spring.

....or follow the ffront shock straight up for a diff view.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Wowwwww....so much misinformation in this thread.
:stupid

And "ahh, its some emissions shit you don't need." :banghead :smilie_slap

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:stupid

And "ahh, its some emissions shit you don't need." :banghead :smilie_slap
thanks, thats all i need to hear.

i have not looked in the engine bay in daylight yet, already at the office for an hour and took my mustang today so maybe tomorrow. i have not put my wheel wells back in and i guess i forgot to tie wrap that thing to something, must have go caught on the front tire.

thanks everyone for you help.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in the pic, it's directly above the front coil spring.

....or follow the ffront shock straight up for a diff view.

yep i forgot to tie wrap that up, thanks for the pic.
hey how do you still have paint on your frame rails on an 1989? did you take the body off and paint the frame? looks great.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Misinformation indeed! Hasnt anyone ever seen a kanooten valve? It supplies ventilation and filtration for the muffler bearings. You can get a new one at Walmart for $4.97. (price break)
Usually, they're stocked on the same shelf as the halogen headlight/blinker fluid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts