Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone:

1990 Bronco, 5.8, auto w/od (don't know specific model), 87k on truck, fresh looking trans fluid, bought the truck 2 weeks ago.

I've got a tick in my transmission and I'd like some assistance. It is a faint "ticking/tapping" sound that occurs while the truck is in gear, from around 3mph and up, and rate of tick increases with speed. I'm pretty sure I can hear an initial single "tick" when the truck is shifted from neutral into drive. It does not happen in neutral or with the truck off. It sounds kind of like a lifter, but isn't since it only happens when trans is in "drive", I figure it is the trans.

Any ideas? I've done some searching, but couldn't seem to find an issue that matches.

THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo PX,
WELCOME

This is by Ford for E4OD from 1996 All F-Series and Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual (Partial)

Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Diagnosis by Symptom

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a24.htm#extract_1037•Noise/Vibration — Forward or Reverse

Possible Component

Reference/Action

254 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
•No Electrical Concerns

354 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
For Noises/Vibrations that change with engine speed:
•Torque converter components
•Fluid level (low) pump cavitation
•Pump assembly
•Engine drive accessories
•Transmission oil cooler lines grounding out
•Flywheel
•Fluid filler tube grounding out
•Locate source of disturbance. Service as required.

For Noise/Vibrations that change with vehicle speed:
•Engine mounts
◾Loose, damaged
•Driveline concerns
•U-joints
•Rear axle assembly
•Suspension
•Modifications/misalignment
•1st gear
◾One-way clutch, gear set
◾Friction elements
◾Torque converter assembly
•2nd gear
◾Intermediate OWC
◾Friction elements
•3rd gear
◾One-way clutch
◾Friction elements
•4th gear
◾One-way clutch
◾Gear set
◾Friction elements
•Reverse
◾Gear set
◾Friction elements
•Shaft spline fit
•Slip yoke, park gear
•Locate source of disturbance. Service as required.
•For specific shifts or torque converter concern, refer to appropriate routines:
•No Shift 1-2, Routine 320
•No Shift 2-3, Routine 321
•No Shift 3-4, Routine 322
•No Shift 4-3, Routine 323
•No Shift 3-2, Routine 324
•No Shift 2-1, Routine 325
•No Converter Cycling, Routine 242/342

Other Noises/Vibrations:
•Main controls
•Valve resonance
•Shift cable
•Vibration, grounding
◾Transmission fluid cooler lines or fluid filler tube
•Locate source of disturbance. Service as

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like a bearing noise to me. This what I've done to isolate driveline noises. Find an empty parking lot or quite road with no traffic and a slight incline.

You can take the transmission out of the picture if you transfer case canbeplacedinto neutral. If so place the tranny in park and shift the transfer case into neutral. Coast down the incline. You can keep the motor running that will allow for brakes and steering.

If noise is gone its in the transmission. If not look elsewhere.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does it sound like the transmission in these videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royknuEcNVQ&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pAp8ITjq1g&list=UUCymAJ947dNabzUzz8jMcJg

That's the transmission in my Bronco. I made a thread asking about what it could be (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320098 ), but nobody here seems to know. I've been meaning to take it to a transmission shop to see if they can diagnose it, but don't have the money or time right now. Keep this thread updated if you figure it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Miesk, thanks for that, bookmarked!

D0OE: I tried shutting it off in neutral and coasting (no noise), but I've got a manual t-case, so I will give your method a shot. Pretty sure its trans though.

Extranger:YEP! That's the one!

Have you been driving your Bronco much like that? Noise getting worse? I ask because mine is a daily-driver and the last thing I need is it taking a dump on me right now. I've got a good transmission shop nearby, but if I can run it for a bit without worry, I will. I will update here if I figure out what it is or if I get it looked at.

I took the Bronco on week long 300 mile work trip to see if there were any issues. Looks like I found one to add to the list :).

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Bronco isn't a daily driver, it's more of a project, so I don't drive it too much. I put about 2k miles on it in the past year. But it hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it. I'm trying to not drive it too much until I get it figured out. My transmission was rebuilt 10 years ago, before I bought it, but the transmission has only about 30k miles since the rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bummer! I was hoping to hear it was a daily commuter and the noise "ain't no thang";). Well, I will have to keep an ear on it. If it changes at all, I'm taking it in.

I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts