Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LONG POST so if you want to skip to my question scroll down.vvvv

Alright with having 5 kids and today's ever-growing world of technology you can imagine the internet is an important thing around our house. After Christmas, I noticed we needed to do some upgrading.

I'll start off with all we have connecting: 36 devices in the house connect to the same internet service. 15 - 20 devices are online at all times. I work from home 1/2 the time, wife is stay at home, twins are home all day, etc.... and also run a Media Server on a VPN. This is not our problem..

We started off before Christmas with 2 PS4s, 6 SMART TVs, and 2 Tablets.
After Christmas, these three categories were increased to; 4 PS4s (2 being 4k pros), 8 SMART TVs, and 5 Tablets.

OLD Verizon Fios network 300mps Up and 300mps Down

We bought 2 extra PS4s so the wife and I could play online COD MW with the kids. We notice when we all were playing online we started to get some lagging and dropped connections throughout everything in the house.

I did some troubleshooting and had a Verizon tech come out to which he showed me that within the past few weeks we have peaked our connection. So we did what anyone would do, upgraded our service.

NEW Current: Verizon Fios Gigabit connection 999mps up and 999mps down

It's been a nightmare! We received the "new and improved" Verizon home router G3100 and Extender E3200.

Get everything all set up and working great. But since day 2 we get intermediate drops. Whether 30 devices or just 2 are connected to the internet. Whether wireless or wired. Did some researching and apparently its a flaw in these new routers that no one has yet to figure out.

HOURS on the phone with Verizon support, troubleshooting this issue and getting nowhere, I give up and going to try to put together my own setup.

##QUESTION##: Best equipment for the following setup (Keep in mind house is 2200 sqft ranch);

From the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) I only have 1 Ethernet port that runs out and 3 coax, that I can tell but I can open the box later and snap a picture if needed.

Need - 1 main router that will hook to the ONT must be wireless.
Need - 1 wireless router extender.

Both need to have at least 4 gigabit LAN ports and with at least dual-band wireless 2.4ghz - 5.0ghz

We have 3 Netgear gigabit (GSS108E) switches in the house that can connect to either of the routers.
I have 1 Linksys wrt1900ac Flash router for the media server's VPN that will connect to the main router.

After my research, I seem to always land on Netgear's Nighthawk X6S R8000P Smart WiFi Router. Anyone have experience or thoughts?

Questions? Concerns? Ideas? I just need to talk it through with someone before spending the $$$ on upgrades.

Thanks!

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
Don't have gig internet here but I have had pretty good luck with Ubiquiti gear in my house. Currently running a gateway, cloudkey, 3 switches and 2 access points to cover roughly 60 devices, 47 of them wireless. This includes phones, tablets, rokus, chromecasts, "smart" lightbulbs, switches, Amazon Echos, Google assistants, laptops, desktops, xboxes, a weatherstation, a server and a NAS plus whatever hapless victim I'm labbing for work.

They recently came out with this product aimed at the SOHO community: UniFi Dream Machine which replaces roughly 80% of what I have. Setup can be a little bit involved but once it's configured you'll have a fast reliable network for everything to stand on. It's enterprise grade so you will be able to identify what everyone is doing. You will also be able to put the kids on their own vlan and shut down their stuff during certain hours. Speaking of which, if you can get the OK for this you could conceivably put your company equipment on it's own vlan and have it VPNed directly to your work. You'll also be able to monitor everything from your phone.

Just a note: gaming over wireless is never a good idea. Your latency is always going to be higher on a wireless connection especially with shooters. Since you are in a ranch style home it should be pretty easy to install Ethernet via the crawlspace which will give the whole family a better experience. This will also make installing the APs (which look similar to large smoke detectors) easy as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
First order of business is finding out if you can put the Verizon router in bridged mode. Then use a gigabit switch (with however many ports you need) to feed the internet to your router. You can also use this switch to feed AC Powerline adapters (they use the electrical house wiring to feed a stable ethernet connection). They work well for gaming – and most of my gaming is FPS on console.

Remember – contrary to what most people think – when it comes to gaming (especially FPS games) it’s not about download speed or connection, it’s about ping to the host. I’d also modify the DNS servers and go to a known entity and not depend on whatever your ISP in your area is using for DNS lookup.

I can tell you that are our house – 2000 sq/ft brick Colonial on close to 5 acres – I have the Comcast router (bridged mode) feeding a gigabit switch, which feeds my Netgear Orbi router, a AC Power line adapter. I have two Orbi extenders connected via wireless. One upstairs, one in my garage. I can get 200+ download speeds at my fire pit, hot tub, my garage, shop and in the woods around my place.

I plan to add another extender so I can get coverage for wireless game cameras I’ll be installing around my property.

Right now I have 5 TV’s (all Roku / smart TV’s that stream), 2 game consoles, a couple of laptops and a desktop, smart thermostats, Alexa devices etc etc.

I never have issues with download or streaming or gaming – even at the same time.

·
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't even come close to your usage so can't comment but the name sounds cool! I can't imagine a cooler name for a router than Nighthawk so it gets my vote.
😂😂

Don't have gig internet here but I have had pretty good luck with Ubiquiti gear in my house. Currently running a gateway, cloudkey, 3 switches and 2 access points to cover roughly 60 devices, 47 of them wireless. This includes phones, tablets, rokus, chromecasts, "smart" lightbulbs, switches, Amazon Echos, Google assistants, laptops, desktops, xboxes, a weatherstation, a server and a NAS plus whatever hapless victim I'm labbing for work.

They recently came out with this product aimed at the SOHO community: UniFi Dream Machine which replaces roughly 80% of what I have. Setup can be a little bit involved but once it's configured you'll have a fast reliable network for everything to stand on. It's enterprise grade so you will be able to identify what everyone is doing. You will also be able to put the kids on their own vlan and shut down their stuff during certain hours. Speaking of which, if you can get the OK for this you could conceivably put your company equipment on it's own vlan and have it VPNed directly to your work. You'll also be able to monitor everything from your phone.

Just a note: gaming over wireless is never a good idea. Your latency is always going to be higher on a wireless connection especially with shooters. Since you are in a ranch style home it should be pretty easy to install Ethernet via the crawlspace which will give the whole family a better experience. This will also make installing the APs (which look similar to large smoke detectors) easy as well.
Thanks man! I will dig more into the UniFi gear today. Interesting, I might have to talk to you more about the VPN directly to work once I get our setup complete.

A) gaming over wireless is a no go due to latency.

B) you guys needs to get out into the woods. 6 TVs!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We defiantly know hardwire is the way to go with gaming. The main reason why I installed the three switches throughout the house. All PS4s, and TVs are hardwired.

First order of business is finding out if you can put the Verizon router in bridged mode. Then use a gigabit switch (with however many ports you need) to feed the internet to your router. You can also use this switch to feed AC Powerline adapters (they use the electrical house wiring to feed a stable ethernet connection). They work well for gaming – and most of my gaming is FPS on console.

Remember – contrary to what most people think – when it comes to gaming (especially FPS games) it’s not about download speed or connection, it’s about ping to the host. I’d also modify the DNS servers and go to a known entity and not depend on whatever your ISP in your area is using for DNS lookup.

I can tell you that are our house – 2000 sq/ft brick Colonial on close to 5 acres – I have the Comcast router (bridged mode) feeding a gigabit switch, which feeds my Netgear Orbi router, a AC Power line adapter. I have two Orbi extenders connected via wireless. One upstairs, one in my garage. I can get 200+ download speeds at my fire pit, hot tub, my garage, shop and in the woods around my place.

I plan to add another extender so I can get coverage for wireless game cameras I’ll be installing around my property.

Right now I have 5 TV’s (all Roku / smart TV’s that stream), 2 game consoles, a couple of laptops and a desktop, smart thermostats, Alexa devices etc etc.

I never have issues with download or streaming or gaming – even at the same time.
I was hoping to get rid of our Verizon Router all together and hook directly to the ONT. When I asked the Verizon tech said i could.

Picture of the ONT on the outside of the house.

Looks like one ethernet out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The problem with getting rid of the Verizon router TOTALLY is that Verizon (Comcast and all other providers are the same as far as I know) will not support equipment they don't own and they can drop / add support at any time. They also tend to give you the run around when there are issues with the service, since they don't own the equipment connected at the drop's endpoint.

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
You may be ok here. Once you are ready with whatever router you wish to use, you can have VZ configure ONT as an Ethernet handoff. As ctandc said VZ will essentially disown anything past the ONT but with a good setup you'll be in a better place.

If you go the dream machine route double check you will still get full throughput with DPI (Deep packet inspection) turned on. I know with my security gateway it throttles to 250 mbps (I have a 300/20 Comcast connection) if DPI is turned on. Otherwise it can handle up to 1 Gbps connections. The UBNT forums are a good source for this information.

I think the main thing you are looking for here is a reliable router/gateway that is capable of mesh wifi. As for the mesh wifi it is preferred to have that wired to the router via some means. This way as devices travel around the house they simply "hand off" to the stronger access point. Plus if you start seeing interference with one AP, dropping it's signal. The others will compensate for it. Also for gaming the multiple switches are harming your latency. If you can try consolidating your switches down to one. More switches=more hops. Think of it like air travel, it's always better to get the nonstop flight rather than one with a connecting flight.

Something else to consider is to make sure you have a router/gateway that can update itself on a schedule. There are new exploits found on a regular basis that will compromise your home network.

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
Are you planning on using the wireless part of the VPN router? If not I would just disable the wireless portion of it. Other than that the only suggestion I have is to consolidate your switches. Although I understand if it's a cost issue.

One other question: is your house wood or steel stud? If it's steel you will want to be prepared to add an AP. You may also want to map out any "wet walls" in your house to make sure any steel/copper pipes don't interfere with the signal. If your plumbing is PEX you should be fine.

·
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you planning on using the wireless part of the VPN router? If not I would just disable the wireless portion of it. Other than that the only suggestion I have is to consolidate your switches. Although I understand if it's a cost issue.

One other question: is your house wood or steel stud? If it's steel you will want to be prepared to add an AP. You may also want to map out any "wet walls" in your house to make sure any steel/copper pipes don't interfere with the signal. If your plumbing is PEX you should be fine.

After a ton of digging i think i am going to go with the UniFi Dream Machine and the UniFi product line.

1 x Dream Machine
1 x 16 POE Port Switch
1 x AP

This should get me started.

I keep the wireless on the VPN router so i can remote to the Media Server. But i probably should see if i can change the band or at least turn the 5g band off.

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
After a ton of digging i think i am going to go with the UniFi Dream Machine and the UniFi product line.

1 x Dream Machine
1 x 16 POE Port Switch
1 x AP

This should get me started.

I keep the wireless on the VPN router so i can remote to the Media Server. But i probably should see if i can change the band or at least turn the 5g band off.
Keep in mind with the UBNT gear you can put the media server on a separate VLAN that routes through the VPN. The Ubiquiti gear is pretty robust, in many ways it's more powerful than the Cisco Meraki stuff I have to maintain at work.

·
15,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind with the UBNT gear you can put the media server on a separate VLAN that routes through the VPN. The Ubiquiti gear is pretty robust, in many ways it's more powerful than the Cisco Meraki stuff I have to maintain at work.
Thanks for all your help man!
I definitely want to talk to you more about the Media Server and best way to set it up once I get everything in and working.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Alot depends on your particular connection to your ISP. I can tell I got a sweet deal to go gigabit with Comcast. I live on 5 acres. We paid a couple grand to have the comcast service extended to reach us a couple of years ago. Went from 250 plan to gigabit. Tried two recommended cable modems (trying to get rid of comcast equip rental) neither would get much over 300mb down. Comcast network tech suggested sending a field tech since both modems are newer and supported. Tech tested line noise etc. Only 2 houses on our feed / head unit. Installed comcast gigabit modem to just test. 930mb consistent downloads. Turned off comcast router wifi and hotspot. Orbi mesh router, 2 orbi satellites (1 upstairs 1 in my detached garage) a $30 plug in wifi extender in my shop (couple hundred feet from my house) Gigabit small switch to run powerlink adapters ( two ps4 and adt system). No lags. That’s with 4 different tv’s streaming at same time. (Testing). I am posting right now from my phone. Outside near my deer stand on my property. 100mb down on iPhone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts