Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 with the towing package. Bone stock, original suspension.

im thinking about leveling the front, but if I instead get say a 2.5“ lift kit, does that end up with a level truck or does the rake still exist?

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,248 Posts
A lift kit will level the truck.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,447 Posts
I put a set of new front springs in mine, prior to an alignmemt, (per the alignmnet shops request) & I raised my front end over 1 1/2", fixed my jacked up camber issues, & made it sit level, which made it look much better in my opinion.

So do you think you might have just a bit of spring sag in yours too?? Its 25 year old steel springs, I would say more than likely.

I marked mine with tape before starting, then installed the new stock height springs, then took it for a ride & re-measured.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure i have sag in the front. That’s what got me to address the suspension frankly. But ive had the truck since it was new and it had rake day 1 that I’d like to get out of it.

my plan is to install leveling springs in the front, and new stock rear.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,447 Posts
I would love to say that plan "should" work out great, but its one of those things that you can't really see how it is until you've done the work & can actually see the results, until then its all speculation as every truck will be different.

If its still tail high once you install the new springs front & rear, you'll have to go back in and fine tune it, which isnt fun doing things twice. I also had 96EB Bronco that I had bought new (with the towing package too), and I always thought it sat a bit tail high.

On the 86 I have now, which is mid restoration, it has old beat up rear springs (which may be originals) and new fronts, which makes for a nice level hieght, so i am reluctant to replace the rear springs.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Assuming the rear leaf springs arent sagging it will level it, but depending on the kit the front can end up slightly taller. I would also suggest getting adjustable caster camber bushings to make alignment easier.

Also remember the TTB front on these trucks only fully settles when you back up straight for About 20 feet or so, so when you turn into a parking spot the front will be slightly higher than the rear. It also doesnt have to be a tight turn, ive noticed sometimes just turning into a driveway can make the front sit higher, it all depends on how tight you turn, the tighter the turn the higher the front end will sit until you continue straight.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,769 Posts
I always argue against a leveling kit and for a 2.5" lift.

The reason being is a leveling kit does not drop the inner ends of the TTB down to correct the suspension geometry. This leads to excessive camber and tire wear, as well as bad road manners.

I put leveling springs on my 08 superduty and had to buy a track bar drop bracket to get it to work right.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I always argue against a leveling kit and for a 2.5" lift.

The reason being is a leveling kit does not drop the inner ends of the TTB down to correct the suspension geometry. This leads to excessive camber and tire wear, as well as bad road manners.

I put leveling springs on my 08 superduty and had to buy a track bar drop bracket to get it to work right.
ill kinda have to disagree a little on that, i have aluminum leveling spacers on the front of mine along with the caster/camber kit and it drives great. I know dropping the TTB is the correct way but when i leveled the front 15 years ago there wasnt any brackets being made that i was aware of, i still have a templet that my dad made but we never made the drop brackets. I know the drop brackets will correct the geometry and allow the suspension to work at 100% when offroad but im not sure it makes much of a difference on the road, at least in my case

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,769 Posts
ill kinda have to disagree a little on that, i have aluminum leveling spacers on the front of mine along with the caster/camber kit and it drives great. I know dropping the TTB is the correct way but when i leveled the front 15 years ago there wasnt any brackets being made that i was aware of, i still have a templet that my dad made but we never made the drop brackets. I know the drop brackets will correct the geometry and allow the suspension to work at 100% when offroad but im not sure it makes much of a difference on the road, at least in my case
There are too many factors to say one way or the other. Such as sagging coils, different ball joint and camber adjuster brands, etc. Tire rotation is also key when doing just a leveling spring.

Ive seen a skyjacker leveling coil stacked on a 2" spacer able to drive...

·
Registered
1995 EB, 351W, Auto, Stock (for now)
30 Posts
I'm picking up my '95 from the shop tomorrow after getting a 2.5" lift put on. Haven't seen it yet. My only worry is that it will sit nose-high. My HOPE is that it sits level, but if not I'd rather it sit a tad higher in the rear than the front. I'll post some pics here if I remember. Maybe it will help in your decision making.

·
Registered
1995 EB, 351W, Auto, Stock (for now)
30 Posts
Sorry man, I forgot to respond here. Got my '95 back the other day and the 2.5" Rough Country lift kit looks great. Sits level like I was wanting. It was all stock prior to this lift. If I can figure out how to post pics on here from my phone I will.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I ordered those Springs off rock auto for my '93. They raised the front somewhere close to 3", it's nose high now. I got adjustable camber bushings, but it's still out, the shop got it as close as they could.
That was over a year ago, was hoping the springs might settle a bit, but no joy.
Not sure now what I want to do about it. A small spacer or helper leaf in the rear would get the truck level, but would do nothing to correct the front end. Not sure I want to roll the dice on another set of Springs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I ordered those Springs off rock auto for my '93. They raised the front somewhere close to 3", it's nose high now. I got adjustable camber bushings, but it's still out, the shop got it as close as they could.
That was over a year ago, was hoping the springs might settle a bit, but no joy.
Not sure now what I want to do about it. A small spacer or helper leaf in the rear would get the truck level, but would do nothing to correct the front end. Not sure I want to roll the dice on another set of Springs.
824's raised it that much? When I first put mine on it raised it 1 3/4" from what it was, but I'm pretty sure the originals were sagging a bit too. At first it was 1/4- 3/8" taller in front measured at the fender wells, but it's been over a year and has leveled out nicely. When I put mine in I also did ball joints and adjustable camber bushings set at the 0 position and have not taken it in for an alignment yet because it drives pretty nice as is

1 - 19 of 19 Posts