Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

It looks like my 4" Rough Country kit will arrive tomorrow (Wed). Since I've got Friday off I'm going to take the weekend and install it. I'll start on Friday and hope to finish on Saturday. If anyone is interested in coming by to check it out or lend a hand (hint! hint! ;)) feel free to drop by! Just let me know ahead of time. I'll happily feed pizza and beer to anyone willing to lend a hand. :thumbup

PM me for directions. I'm actually in the north side of Cedar Park.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I hope your ready to love on rivits...good luck on that...it is much easier to remove them if someone is handy with a torch or a plasma...or get after it with the cutoff....while you are doing that I will be enjoying the sunny beach down at big shell....oh and air tools make some of the stuff a snap vs fighting it with muscles...

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the previous owner already buzzed off the rivets on the radius arm brackets so that'll be plug-n-play. I'm sure I'll have my hands full with the front axle pivots, though. Fortunately, I've got a pretty well stocked garage and of course I've got air tools. ;)

Tommy

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm willing to help... You just pay gas :p (Would be about $40 total in the SAAB, I love min spaedbarn)

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
InkDawg said:
Sounds like it shouldn't be to bad then...but it helps to have extra hands...are you replacing any other stuff while you ahve the front end tore apart?
Yeah, extra hands are really what I'm looking for. If those extra hands are attached to someone who's done a lift kit before, then all the better! :rofl: I've already replaced the radius arm bushings, but I think I'll go ahead and pick up some axle pivot bushings, too. Should I get the ones with or without sleeves? I'm looking for whatever is easier and hopefully won't require a press since I don't plan on fully removing the axle assy. from the truck.

Tommy

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ubermich said:
I'm willing to help... You just pay gas :p (Would be about $40 total in the SAAB, I love min spaedbarn)
LOL! Too bad you're up north! :duh

Tommy

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I noticed Rough Country has new instructions on their site and they seem to be much more informative. I was under the impression that removing rivets was needed in order to install the axle pivot drop brackets. Is this not the case? Do those brackets simply unbolt? Or do the new ones bolt to the existing ones?

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
While I have never done a lift before, I would love to help. I might be able to find someone who has before. I wont make no promises tho heh :D He might see this thread and reply before I can ask him about it too :D

My # is 461-5823 and I am at the lakeline mall area . My email is [email protected] or [email protected].

Let me know ! I cant check the forums at work, so emailing me there is the best way to get a response.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Tommy R, I should be in Georgetown Friday thru Monday over Easter weekend. IF you need some help, send me a PM and I'll come by on Friday night or Saturday. A few cold beers would help refresh my memory on lift kits and help my strength to turn a bolt. May try to get Travis (BigT) to come along, too, JSM84:beer

Edit: I plan to bring up an 18'x83" car hauler this weekend to pick up my 84 Bronco, so I can work on it down here istead of driving up there each weekend. IF we can get your lift installed in time, maybe you can help me load her up. With no motor, I'll have to use a come-along to get her on the trailer and would appreciate any help!!!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
InkDawg said:
I hope your ready to love on rivits...good luck on that...it is much easier to remove them if someone is handy with a torch or a plasma...or get after it with the cutoff....while you are doing that I will be enjoying the sunny beach down at big shell....oh and air tools make some of the stuff a snap vs fighting it with muscles...

The Big Shell? you going to Rockport?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
tommy,
on my lift one axle pivot bracket was bolted on and the other was riveted on. not sure if they are all like this. i would be happy to help but i work on both friday and saturday. if you think you might have any questions let me know and i will give you my cell number.

scott

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ink, JSM84, and Ben, PM has been sent with my information. Thanks very much for the interest and feel free to come by. I should have enough beer. :rofl:

Scott, thanks for the offer. Yes, please PM or e-mail me your cell if you don't mind. I'm sure I could use some advice at some point. :whiteflag

So I just looked under the truck. The axle pivot for the driver's side axle definitely looks to be bolted into place. The axle pivot for the passenger's side axle looks to be bolted straight to the crossmember. Hmm... Maybe I need a closer look at the directions because from what I can see there really is no bracket for the pass. side axle pivot.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
TommyR, I got your PM and will answer it shortly. You might take a look at my SFO gallery under the SkyJ lift kit album. It shows a pic or two of the axle pivot drop brackets, and the RC ones are similar. SkyJ instructions suggest welding the passenger side axle beam axle pivot bracket to add strength, since that is a stress point. You can always bolt up the lift kit, then have a welding shop do any needed work if you don't have a welder.

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here's my question. Referring to this pic:

The pivot for the passenger side axle obviously mounts to the new drop bracket. Well, that's what mine looks like except without the drop bracket. In other words, it doesn't look like any orig, bracket was removed on that side. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I've got a welder, but the wire feed on it took a dump and I haven't fixed it yet. When I get time one of these days I'll trouble shoot it...

Oh (2), sure I don't mind helping you load up your rig as long as I get my hoopty put back together in time. I also need to get it aligned on Saturday after the install is complete!

Tommy

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
TommyR, I can check on my 86 stock Bronco in the morning to see if it has any kind of bracket on that side from the factory. From my vague memory when I replaced the axle pivot bushings on the 84 prior to the lift install, there was no "dropped down" bracket on that side. The RC lift may use the stock location if it has no bracket for that side. But, most lift kits I've seen have two holes in the brackets to allow for a 4" or 6" lift. You can see that I used the lower hole on my 6" lift. And the pics I've seen of the RC lift kits have both side's drop brackets. I can check on that, too. JSM84

·
Registered
576 Posts
send me the directions and I'll come by after work on sat and help with whats left. Mark

·
Registered
342 Posts
I recently installed a 6 inch superlift on my 94 bronc and made the mistake of taking off the passenger side axle half pivot bracket that is attached to the engine crossmember with 6 rivets. I'm not positive as i have never physically seen a rough country lift before, but i believe the rough country and superlift kits are almost identical- that bracket needs to stay there!!!

It should NOT look like this....

I don't have pics of it since i put it back on, but it was a real PITA to deal with. Hopefully that helps and good luck with the lift :rockon

·
Geaux Tigers!!
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mark, e-mail sent.

Brad, thanks for the heads up!

Everyone, if you plan on stopping by tomorrow (Friday), please let me know approximately what time you'll be coming around. :)

Thanks!
Tommy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts