Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 XLT, 5.8L, 4" BDS lift, Sixlitre tuneup, Getto cold air Intake, 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 160 amp 3G
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start putting the lift in tomorrow. :rockon

Hopefully it goes well, I have not done this in awhile. :shocked

I will post pics as I go. :twotu:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, please....LOTS of pics and info!! I'm debating a lift and I've never done one so all the info for a fellow Jersey-ite you could share, would be MOST appreciated!

Good Luck. Not sure where Farfrompoopin NJ is, but if it's down this way, and you need an extra set of hands to hold something...hit me up. I'm ALWAYS willing to help, especially if it means learning a thing or two :)

·
Premium Member
1994 XLT, 5.8L, 4" BDS lift, Sixlitre tuneup, Getto cold air Intake, 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 160 amp 3G
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Luck. Not sure where Farfrompoopin NJ is, but if it's down this way, and you need an extra set of hands to hold something...hit me up. I'm ALWAYS willing to help, especially if it means learning a thing or two :)
It's in Warren County, If you feel like making the trip come on up. :toothless

It'll probably take you about 3 hours. :histerica:histerica:histerica

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working by my self today I did not get as far as I wanted.

1. up on jacks and stands ready to come apart.
2. sway bars down and coils out.
3. new radius arms in place.
4. radius arm brakets temporarily positioned.
5. radius arm and new coils in.
6. Had to cut the old shocks out with a sawzall. Cut made just under the mounting bracket.
7. other than the top shock nuts these were the hardest bolts to remove. all the rest came right out with the impact gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got as far as removing the axle pivot bolts and getting the passenger side bracket in place before it started raining. It was also getting too dark so I decided to give up for the night. :cry :toothless

·
I'm stuck :)
741 Posts
the fun is just starting!!! wait till you get to the TTB drop brackets... be ready to use every censcored word ever known to man,,, i even made a few of my own when i did this a month ago!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The drop TTB down drop down brackets were not that bad. Here's todays update.

1. This is where I started today, with the TTB drop brackets. These went in fairly easily. Drilling the holes would have been better if I had sharp drill bits.
2. TTB brackets in place and bolted.
3. The pitman arm even came off easily. I did not have the right socket :doh0715: (Ok, what size is it?). Took the nut off with a pipe wrench. Put puller on and screwed down as far as I could. Sprayed a generous amount of PB Blaster on in and let it sit in. A few minutes later it popped on it's own. Scared the S*** out of me when it popped. :shocked
4. Drivers side all together
5. Front wheels on and sitting on the ground.
6. This is what prompted the lift at this time. Since I have to take it apart anyway, what better excuse do I need. :goodfinge Two bolts and two rivets. Did not get them all out. Thought I had a new 1/2" drill bit. Noooooo 4 dull ones and too late to run to home depot. :banghead
7. At least I got one of the leaf springs out. I had to cut the front bolts off, but the rest came out ok. Looked in my stock and Yessss 2 sets 0f grade 8 bolts & nuts the right size and length. :rockon

I will not be able to work on it again until Wednesday. It gives me time to get the drill bits and bolts for the rear hangers.

Attachments

·
I'm stuck :)
741 Posts
thats y the TTB brackets were easy...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, a 4" lift, tires are 32x11.50 15. That will change the next time I need tires.

I did get some time to work on it today. Basically just enough to get the rear leaf spring hangers off. What a B***h :cry. Passenger side was held on by two rivets and two bolts. Bolts came out easy, the rivets I had to grind, drill and hammer. Finally got it off. Moved to the other side expecting the same thing, NOT. Thank you Ford :smilie_slap all four were rivets on this side. Oh well.

I'm working the next two days so it will be sitting till Wednesday. :popc1:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did some more on the lift.

1. Got the front spring hangers off yesterday and painted the frame hanger to hanger with POR15.
2. 9:20 this morning UPS shows up with the front spring hangers and shackles. Time to move forward.
3 & 4. Rear and Front leaf spring hangers in place.
5. Leaf springs installed.
6. Back on the ground, rear shocks also went in.

Tuesday I will measure the wheel base and set the radius arm brackets in place as well as torque the axle pivot bolts. Then Wednesday it goes for an alignment and it will finally be done.

Ken L.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looks REALLY nice. Now hurry up and waste those tires so you can get some 33s. :eek:) How did you get the front bolts on the rear shackle mount? I had to do all kinds of weird things to get them in without dropping the gas tank?

Don

-

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks REALLY nice. Now hurry up and waste those tires so you can get some 33s. :eek:) How did you get the front bolts on the rear shackle mount? I had to do all kinds of weird things to get them in without dropping the gas tank?

Don

-
I bought the 32's before I realized that the leaf spring mounts needed to be replaced. I figured that while they were out I might as well do the lift.

The front bolts were a B***h :banghead. I put the bolts in from the inside with the nuts on the outside. Used a magnetic and grabber type tool retrievers to fish them down between the gas tank and frame. Took a good part of the day on those bolts. :doh0715:

Ken L.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude! I live Newton. How come i have never seen you around?

Looks alot better now. Nice Job!
Thanks, I am in Newton quit a bit. Just look for me and you'll see it. Although I do work shift work, so I'm usually in town in the morning or mid day. You know any good spots to wheel in the area???? :popc1:

Ken L.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.