Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front suspention is FUBAR. I just can't get it to feel right.
Here is the story on my Frankinlift:
I had a 4" Rancho Springs, drop Brackets, Superlift 4" radius arm drop brackets, and drop pitman arm.

With this setup my tires were tilted out \-----/ because Rancho uses shorter drop brackets with their 4" kit.

So, to correct the camber I got 6" Tuffcountry TTB Drop brackets and moved my Coil towers down 1.5 inches. It looks good from the front now |------| and sits up a little better.

I thought i had finallt tamed the wylie TTB but NOOOOO.

Now when I turn it feels really bad, kinda like it dodoesn't want to return to zero and go straight.

What could it be?

I was thinking that because I didn't lower the radius arm brackets 2" like I did the TTB that my axle is now rotated to far forward.

ALSO, when I hit a bump now the Bronco Is a little hard to control. Could I be getting Bumpstear by having a 4" drop Pitman Arm and a 6" suspention?

anyone have any advice before I end up hurting myself or waist any more $$$
:brownbag

Thanks Dave

·
huh
7,195 Posts
how does your tie rod setup look?

got any pictures.. mine was doing the same thing (on the 4 door bronco) .. i flipped the tie rods over and it fixed the problem..

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I had a complete front kit and my tires looked like that too /----\

nothing that adjusting the tierods properly won't fix ..I didn't even use the caber adjustment cams .. really no need :shrug

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raf,
That makes sence to me. Flipping the tierods to the to will raise them about the 2 inches that I just lowered the axle. And the plus is that my steering will be nicely raised up outof the way.
I know that I need a reamer of some type. What else do I need to knowto do this?

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damager,
I tried all the adjustments that were on the ttb and it never full fixed my problem. The alignment shop wanted to change the camber bushings and charge me about $175. I opted fo the bigger drop brackets so that I got a little bit of extra, free lift. I have the Toe and camber right now. I think that it is my caster angle all screwed up because I only have the 4" rad arm drop brackets while the rest of my lift is 6". :shrug

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have anything like this for a 6" lift?

I'd like to cut, extend, and angle my rad arms up and use some original Radius arm brackets.

Anyone wanna sell me some old mounting brackets CHEAP?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
it does sound like a caster issue, get those arm brackets to drop the same amount as everything else

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any advise on how to do this cheaply? I contemplated using 2" square tubing to the frame then bolt my old 4" brackets to them.

I don't like the Idea of hacing all that torque on the frame.

Would it be better to cut my arms, extend, and adjust for correct angle weld in some square stock them box with flat steel on both ides?

I'd like to get my hands on some stock rad arm brackets and do the above so that I don't have any low hanging brackets to get hungup on.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
This may be a good time to try the extensions that NAMELESS used on his stock arms. They are made for the 78-79 bronco style arms but I would think they would fit the newer stock arms as well. I believe the cost around $60-70 bucks. Do a search and there's a thread about them. I believe in the 78-79 Bronco forums.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
SuperDave said:

I'd like to get my hands on some stock rad arm brackets and do the above so that I don't have any low hanging brackets to get hungup on.
I have some stock arm mounts if you need them

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
mike,
the problem with that solution is that the stock arms are weak, and if he wheels it hard, they will most likely bend or break. this is why many of the manufacturers make the extended TUBULAR arms, for strength. the 78-79 arms are a lot beefier than the 80-96

wes

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
SuperDave said:
I had a 4" Rancho Springs, drop Brackets, Superlift 4" radius arm drop brackets, and drop pitman arm.

With this setup my tires were tilted out \-----/ because Rancho uses shorter drop brackets with their 4" kit.
OK, i am concerned about what you said on this.
You mean to tell me that the 4" lift kit that Rancho sells doesnt set up properly when it is installed?
I am not trying to call you a liar, or anything of that nature, but this is the first I have heard of this.

Why didnt you use the radius arm drop brackets that came with the Rancho kit? Would that have solved the problem?
Sorry for my confusion but do you think you can give more details?

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Wes I have thought about the strength of them as well and would agree with you. Just throwing something out there that would be a cheap fix for Dave.

As far as Dave's lift goes doesn't sound like he has all the parts he needs to properly lift the bronco. Dave try to get some pics of the front undercarriage.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
i bet he could add some plates on it and make them marginally stronger, but they still will not be up to hard wheeling. if i remember right superlift had some arms that werent tubing just plate and they had some issues with them bending. they now use the upper and lower tube design like most others. i say you just bite the bullet and buy some new radius arms

wes

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
SuperDave said:
Now when I turn it feels really bad, kinda like it dodoesn't want to return to zero and go straight.

What could it be?

I was thinking that because I didn't lower the radius arm brackets 2" like I did the TTB that my axle is now rotated to far forward.

ALSO, when I hit a bump now the Bronco Is a little hard to control. Could I be getting Bumpstear by having a 4" drop Pitman Arm and a 6" suspention?
Well, (resisting my urge to say that all your "problems" are normal for TTB), that sounds like caster, caster, caster. As you've already figured out, and others have said, you need to rotate that axle back. I always thought Gremlin's extended arms were pretty cool.

You can also get more caster with the cams at the upper ball joint, but it gets pretty involved and is hard to maintain optimal camber at the same time.

B

·
0 Posts
Not enough caster! Lose the radius arm drop brackets and get some/build some extended arms with the proper caster built in. Better travel too! I never have liked drop brackets for the radius arms. Seems like they would put too much strain on the frame. I bent my frame with 4" drop brackets and a single roll (totalled an 84). They leaned in towards the center of the bronc and bent the frame to get there. I was also always worried about catching them on a rock and bending the frame. Good luck!

PS adjustable caster/camber bushings may work. If they do, you are still stuck with short radius arms and drop down brackets.

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Lift woes? (Help, I've got Frankinlift)

Beerman said:
OK, i am concerned about what you said on this.
You mean to tell me that the 4" lift kit that Rancho sells doesnt set up properly when it is installed?
I am not trying to call you a liar, or anything of that nature, but this is the first I have heard of this.

Why didnt you use the radius arm drop brackets that came with the Rancho kit? Would that have solved the problem?
Sorry for my confusion but do you think you can give more details?
I got the lift in pieces so I had to use superlift 4" rad arm drop bracket.
As for rancho, they sell a 4" lift kit that uses 2" drop ttb brackets, 4" arms and alignment bushings. If I knew this I wouldn't had bought them the first time

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Miketnf150 said:
Wes I have thought about the strength of them as well and would agree with you. Just throwing something out there that would be a cheap fix for Dave.

As far as Dave's lift goes doesn't sound like he has all the parts he needs to properly lift the bronco. Dave try to get some pics of the front undercarriage.
Here are some pics:

You can tell that flipping the Tierods will help with the bumb steer.
Anyone havea good source for a reamer?

View of drop brackets from front.

From the Passenger side. You can see from here that the axle is rotated wrong.

Id like to make new, longer arms using what I have now and just correctin the angle that way.

·
I am Super!
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blown said:
Not enough caster! Lose the radius arm drop brackets and get some/build some extended arms with the proper caster built in. Better travel too! I never have liked drop brackets for the radius arms. Seems like they would put too much strain on the frame. I bent my frame with 4" drop brackets and a single roll (totalled an 84). They leaned in towards the center of the bronc and bent the frame to get there. I was also always worried about catching them on a rock and bending the frame. Good luck!

PS adjustable caster/camber bushings may work. If they do, you are still stuck with short radius arms and drop down brackets.
I agree. I don't like drop bracket much Myself. I just don't have the funds now to buy an extended rad arm setup. I just want to get some stock rad arm mounts and mod my arms so that they are longet and fix my angle. I have a friend that can bent squar steel tubing for me to weld between the cut halfs of the rad amr the I want to so it also. I have all the steel I need.
So, if I go this way, All I need now is a good plan and some stock rad arm brackets.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts