Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys havent had anyone to make fun of for a while so here goes.

I have a slight ticking from under the valve cover. It sounds like all the lifters are a little loose. I have seen at least 3 methods of adjusting the lifters and I want to know which one applies to me.
1. Start at #1 TDC then adjust each intake and exhause etc. (Actually more than one way of doing this one in particular).
2. While the engine is running loosen then tighten till the noise goes away or is minimized.
3. Torque the pedestal bolt to between 18 and 25 ft lbs and go.
I dont know how many miles are on the engine, I bought it used supposedly with a new motor. Well it may be new and just need adjustment or it is old and may be starting to develop issues...
1984 351 HO Stock everything except no sog anything or air pump conneced.
Timing is at 8 BTDC.
Coupe is confused....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Coupe said:
You guys havent had anyone to make fun of for a while so here goes.

I have a slight ticking from under the valve cover. It sounds like all the lifters are a little loose. I have seen at least 3 methods of adjusting the lifters and I want to know which one applies to me.
1. Start at #1 TDC then adjust each intake and exhaust etc. (Actually more than one way of doing this one in particular).
2. While the engine is running loosen then tighten till the noise goes away or is minimized.
3. Torque the pedestal bolt to between 18 and 25 ft lbs and go.
I dont know how many miles are on the engine, I bought it used supposedly with a new motor. Well it may be new and just need adjustment or it is old and may be starting to develop issues...
1984 351 HO Stock everything except no smog anything or air pump connected.
Timing is at 8 BTDC.
Coupe is confused....
I wish I could spell...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ya'll

Many thanks I will verify the torque and proceed..
Coupe Out!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have hydrulic lifters then they may just be collapsed. Normally if you do not have individual lifter adjustments you would have hydrulic lifters in the engine. Run about a quarter quart of good old ATF in your oil, it gets into the lifters easier then oil and will help rebuild the presure. After the lifter tick is gone change the oil and you should be good to go. I used to do this on the good old FE blocks all the time with no problems.

Disclaimer: I did this on non emission controlled vehicles. I would wait and see if anyone more familliar with newer engines says otherwise before trying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts