Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help with my 78 bronco... its got a 400m in it and im gettin a ticking sound from the engine... i kno 4 sure its 1 of the lifters but i cant tell whether its broken, sticking, or wutever... n e help or advice on wut 2 do wood be great... thanx:rockon

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
How is your oil pressure? Is it good, or does it drop signifigantly at idle? How old and gummed up is the engine?

If you have poor oil pressure at idle, then your issue is probably oil pressure related.

If the engine is just gummed up with varnish and you have good oil pressure, you can try this old trick. Before your next oil change, add two quarts of Type F trans fluid and run it for 1/2 an hour or so. Then change your oil.

The type F trans fluid is basically a 10W oil with a LOT of detergents in it. It has helped me free up a sticky lifter or two in the past, and it is a LOT easier on the engine than one of those engine flush kits.

Good Luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
well i have had seafoam work for me quite a few times on sticky parts in older engines, put some in the gas and some in the oil, run it then change the oil after a couple days. but your ticking could be related to other things as, well you could always pull your valve covers one at a time and run it to see if everything is operating correctly and to make sure none of the rockers are horribly loose. can get messy but at least you will know for sure it is all working like it should.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your really desperate over a stuck lifter, drop in a qt of diesel fuel. Just don't rev the engine, and change the oil/filter after about 5 minutes. Do it on a cold engine also, and watch your oil pressure. (do this at your own risk of course :toothless )

Back when I was a bike mechanic, older bikes developed fuel leaks in the carbs which drained into the cylinders and therefore the oil. Customers would continue to ride unknowingly until the bike was pumping oil into the airbox (overfilled). Oil came out like water, but the engine was clean :doh0715:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx 4 all ur advice... im gunna stick with running trans. fluid thru it in a couple of days and if that doesn't work ill try something else... how long do i run it for with the trans fluid?:rockon

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
bronco_kid78 said:
thanx 4 all ur advice... im gunna stick with running trans. fluid thru it in a couple of days and if that doesn't work ill try something else... how long do i run it for with the trans fluid?:rockon
I would only do it for 1/2 an hour....or until it stops ticking. Be sure to use only type F trans fluid.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ran type f transfluid through it for over an hour and the ticking didnt stop so does that mean im in need of new lifters?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts