Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't the engine be lifted with a jack on the tranny to swap the oil pan? I've got the motor mount nuts and exhaust bolts off, but when I jack up the tranny the front of the truck starts to lift. Did I forget some bolts or do I just need to break the engine free of the mounts?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops, tranny mount bolts....Doh! :banghead

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the tranny will move up from the cross member, but the engine won't seperate from the motor mounts. I took off two motor mount nuts and two tranny mount nuts. Are there more? It's been a while since I've had the engine out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just replaced the mounts in my 89 the other day.I took off the 2 lower motor mount nuts and put a block of wood on the jack and lifted the engine by the oil pan.I know I saw somewhere that you should lift the engine by the pan and then stack blocks of wood under the mounst to hold the engine up.The front of my truck went up,but it was because I was taking the weight of the engine off the frame.Good luck.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn the truck seems designed against doing this. Has anybody swapped the pan on a 351W without removing the pump?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was able to swap the pan gasket on mine without removing the pump,but I don't foresee swapping the pan without removing it.Even if you stripped all the stuff off the top of the engine so it goes up higher I think the trans will hit the floor before you clear the pan.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid of that. I just know that damn pump drive shaft will come out and it will be yet another thing to keep track of. :doh: Oh well. Guess I'll get a bunch of stuff done on it while I'm doing this then. At least the weather has been mild here in MD the past week or so. Thanks for the info!

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I've never done a 351.... but I have done a 302, couple of 327's way back when and you can do it by jacking the pan, then blocking the mounts up with wood.

You have to twist up in there and remove the oil pickup. Then it will come out. You have to put it back in the same way. Slide the pan up and in, then reinstall the pickup.

PITA! But it can be done.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
If you're worried about the oil pump drive shaft it's not a big deal. If it does come out (which it shouldn't because there should be a little metal retainer) but if it does just pull the distributor after it's all put back together and drop the drive shaft back in from the top. Or put some grease on the end to help hold it in the end of the dist and lower it in with the dist.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RLKBOB. That fact totally slipped my mind. :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts