Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Its a mercury switch attached to the underside of the hood in my '89, so Im assuming it is the same in your '86.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Oh one of those. Not sure what to tell you on that other than check fuses and trace wires. Someone else may chime in.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Its probably on the base of the bulb, and if its not, just pull it out and compare at Autozone or wherever you shop.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thats a good idea and I thought of that, but i don't have a bulb to look at. It was missing when I bought the Bronco and the parts stores that I've gone to say they can't find a listing for it. Even Ford couldn't get me a number at the parts counter. :banghead :beer

Its probably on the base of the bulb, and if its not, just pull it out and compare at Autozone or wherever you shop.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
For what its worth, the part number for mine is a Sylvania #90. Thats for an '89 though, not sure if its the same. Just go to the junkyard, you know you want to.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Lift the hood up, pull off the 2 wire connector from the rest of the lamp base/switch unit and check for 12 volts on each of the 2 female ends on the connector. If you get a 12 volt reading there then plug it back into the base unit, pull the whole unit of of the hood and turn it around and shake it (with a new bulb in place---one that looks like this one
). If the light doesn't come on then yank the bulb and check the area where the bulb slips into. Clean it with a tooth pick or something small (X-acto knife?) and then check for 12 volts there. If good then put a tiny bit of Vaseline or dielectric grease on the bulb and it should come on.

But if you've got no power anywhere you're gonna have to start tracing the wire back to the engine wiring harness/loom.

Have fun..........

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
For what its worth, the part number for mine is a Sylvania #90. Thats for an '89 though, not sure if its the same. Just go to the junkyard, you know you want to.

I've used about every different number of those types of bulbs for many years, on tons of cars and boats. The bases are the same and the only difference I've found is the brightness (i.e. wattage). As long as they're 12 volts you should be good to go. And given how hot it gets under the hood I would imagine that at least in this situation you could get by with the brightest one made---I'm sure the socket can handle the heat............

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
That bulb is different than what we have. I'm assuming that Chris's '86 is the same as my '84. We have a round base bulb similar to these: http://www.ushalamps.com/images/1187.jpg
Whoops---mine's an '87. Didn't bother to verify the changes from other years.

Thanx Olds...........

Edit---My next project is a fricken disco ball of lights under the hood. 'Cuz the stock one is only bright enough for me to get my fingers stuck in a moving part on the engine..........:smokin:

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Steve83 said:
It's actually a BB switch.
I couldve sworn it was my truck, but I just looked and it wasnt. Must have been someone else's car that I know. I remember seeing a mercury-filled bulb under someone's hood.

Steve83 said:
Stay OUT of the zone. :smilie_slap
Nothing wrong with the Zone as long as you have a part number in hand. :thumbup

Steve83 said:
Wrong - that's for the cheapo fixed hood lamp; not the reel light.
Thats what I figured, hence my disclaimer. ;)

Ive been wanting a couple of those reel lights for a while, but every one I find at the boneyard is fubar.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Wrong - that's for the cheapo fixed hood lamp; not the reel light.
Cheapo or not, that's what's on mine. With that all-glass marker style bulb.

Grease doesn't fix or improve contacts - it just keeps water away. It actually makes the connection slightly worse, but for most 12V circuits, it's not enough to matter.
You've obviously never had boats. The half life of any electrical connector, bulb, connection, electronics or soldered joints is less than 6 months on the ocean without either Vaseline or dielectric grease. For you Kidz that get your toys wet and muddy or run the beaches it would behoove you all to learn about the myriad of electrical supplies that we use on boats. You may have no idea what's really out there that would be almost bullet proof on your trucks, compared to the crap that comes out of Detroit or the local auto parts stores...............

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
"Half life' in this instance was meant to convey that salt, electricity and metals do not live well together in the marine environment. Just an analogy for the above, not to describe radioactive elements...............:smokin:

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
:twak No, there's ALWAYS EVERYTHING wrong in the zone.
No more than any other parts store, in my experience. :shrug I dont expect anything of the employees at any store, if thats what you mean. Autozone more often has the parts Im looking for than Checker, which is the next closest store.

x2 on the "half-life" thing, dont be so literal. :twak

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.