Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thru the back road Michigan winter I'm going to need some extra roof lighting to cut thru the blizzards on my way to work at 5am. I need 2 or 4, probably rectangular lamps for my roof. But, money is definately an issue. I don't want to run out to PepBoys or Autozone and buy something off the shelf that might not give me good light. I want some good input here first. What do you people suggest? brand? size? what do I look for? Black is prefered over chrome and I don't want to pay extra for stainless or anything not critical to lighting my way.....thanks!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
if you are looking to "cut through blizzards" i would not recomend roof lighting. the light will just refelct off the snow back into your eyes. i live in maine and trust me, i had rack lights last year and they suck in rain and snow.. if you want to have better visibility put fog lights on your truck, the lower the better. do a search as well, people have done write ups on fog lights.

if money is your issue get some of the 8 dollar circular lights from napa, easiest lighting for you buck.
the best quality, highest light output for the aize of the bulb would have to be PIAA fog lights in my oppinion. they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
KC daylighters 150W sealed beam in chrome... 150 bucks a pair including wiring.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
oh reading back over your post... black and chrome cost the same from KCs... I got me chrome and my bud a pair of blacks cuz he wants everything not chrome.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
i have found that amber lenses work best for snow and rainy conditions. the light seems to be much more effective!

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
run those lights as low as you can if they are for snow driving :twak and angle them slightly down as well

trust me, the snow that fell almost EVERY day in the winter in Breckenridge Colorado when I lived there taught me that ... roof light reflection off of the snowflakes will blind you and you will wind up turning those lights OFF eventually because it is so bad .. then you will turn off you high beams and drive slower with you low beams only

just me 2 cents from experience I had

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my eventual goal is 2 amber fog lamps on or under the bumper and a pair of driving and a pair of fogs on the roof for country road driving.....

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
those should do just fine. i have a cheap pair of 100w fogs mounted on my wifes car, and they do great in the snow. jus remember to aim them down a lil.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
You do NOT want white lighting for snow. Fog lights mounted below the headlights is best. It may or may not be legal in your state but the best vision in snow is gained with only fog lights on, no headlights. Make sure your parking lights are on if you do this so your marker and tail lights are on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts