Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i'm new here. I've got a 1983 bronco and have tried to sell it and they tried everything to get it to crank it and it won't do it. They have added every new thing they could. I got to looking at it and saw the fuel relay plug was corroded(spelling( I was wondering if that woulda caused it and if so how would i go to fixing it? Thank for any replies i get.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
First off, let's get terms right. A no-crank situation means that the starter does not even try to run. A cranking/no-start engine means that the starter is turning over the engine but the engine is not firing and running. Which is your problem? If it is indeed a no-crank like you're saying, you need to focus on why the starter is not running, not the fuel pump relay.

·
0 Posts
What happened leading up to it not starting? was it just sitting for a long time?

Can you visibly check your TDC with the cap off to ensure timing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We cranked it then let it sit for about a month or 2. My cousin said he wanted to buy it so he took and never got it to crank. His friend wanted to buy it so he took it to the mechanic shops around here and they couldn't do anything. His friend decided he wanted it and i ended up getting it back. Turns over and everything. Had a electrician look at it and he said everything looked good. They said it was getting fire and my mechanic looked at it and said it was getting fuel and for sure it should be getting air. Awhile back it wouldn't crank and it was the fuel relay and now it won't crank and the fuel relay plug in is very corroded.

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
an 83 bronco has a fuel relay? :wtf

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked the timing and it's good. Yes there is a little box ont he side where the battery is that is a fuel relay.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
fuel relay is confusing, there is a couple of boxes by my batter, one is the regulator and the other is something running to th esmog pump with a conenctor on it and i have an 85 with a carb. Is there a fuel pump on the side of your block, there should be unless someone else cahnged it. i didn't think relays started until late 85 and up with the intro of FI,

and if you can could you take a pic of this box if you do have a mechanical fuel pump ?

:thumbup

·
Registered
84 Posts
Big83Bronco said:
Checked the timing and it's good. Yes there is a little box ont he side where the battery is that is a fuel relay.
If the box is black, then it is the solenoid. 83s shouldnt have fuel relays. It very well could be the solenoid, I would replace that anyways, they go bad easily on Fords. They are only 7 dollars at Discount Auto. :rebelflag

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea but if the truck is cranking no probs in the solenoid then...there is a little black box by the solenoid that is for emissions. It has a harness plug in and then a vaccum hose to it on mine.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
:lolup You had 8 auto repair shops with certified mechanics work on your truck and none of them could get it to start? LOL
Time to move.

:lolup Better yet, go buy a horse :lolup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,062 Posts
If the starter is turning, but the engine is not cranking and you have fuel and air, maybe there is a problem with the starter not engaging the fly wheel. Have you checked there. Swap out the starter and see if that does anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts