Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner put new oil for the rear end just before I picked up the bronco. My question is, if he did not put in the limited slip additive would it hurt the rear end any bit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think that worst-case-scenario, you would just wipe out all of the friction material on the friction disks and have an open diff. Then you would have to rebuild it.

BTW, I put a Traction-Lok from an '87 F-150 in my old '91 Bronco a few years ago. The Traction-Lok already had about 150k miles on it (I didn't rebuild it before the swap) and I ran it for another 10k or so without friction modifier and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
illwood said:
I think that worst-case-scenario, you would just wipe out all of the friction material on the friction disks and have an open diff. Then you would have to rebuild it...
:stupid

On the other hand, it'll be tight as heck until it wears out.

Many vehicles will chatter without the modifier. I'd just pick up a few quarts of new gear oil and the modifier and change it out, not difficult to do. Use real friction modifier from Ford, we've had iffy luck with some of the aftermarket additives. It's a little bottle big enough to do one axle, and is only a few bucks. Try to avoid getting any of it on you, you'll smell it for days. :doh0715:

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
This is probably a stupid question but are you sure its a limited slip? Not all Brocos had that option.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H9 for the rear end on the sticker inside my door panel.

I've found that it seems that I have every options on my bronco, which I like.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
semi-hijack: last time I changed my Ranger diff fluid, I didn't add any additive because the gear lube said it was included. Now I'm getting chatter. Should I just add some anyway?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
sewiv said:
semi-hijack: last time I changed my Ranger diff fluid, I didn't add any additive because the gear lube said it was included. Now I'm getting chatter. Should I just add some anyway?
Yup. The particular example I was thinking of was a brand new Trac-Loc in a Ranger 7.5. :thumbup Throw in the 4oz. bottle of modifier, and your chatter will go away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts