Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my E40d trans. with one that had 40,000 miles on it. I havnt driven alot but decided to drive it to work today. Drove fine to work this morning about 25 miles, then upon leaving work today, on the first shift BAM, now everytime it shifts up or down its really hard. Nothing is leaking, but i did notice that the overdrive off button on the shifter is blinking. When i bought this bronco the original tranny was junk, so i'm not familiar with what the problem could be. Going to try to pull codes 2morrow, just wondering if this has happend to anyone else. By the way if i switched gears manually it shifted fine, could she be stuck in limp mode?Thanx, The Captn

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Something made it go into it's failsafe mode. No reason wondering about it until you pull codes.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
did you make sure you connectors were all clean and connected properly, you should of adjusted you mlps too while you were under there

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did'nt install the tranny, a work at home mechanic did. whats an mlps? My dad put some rear end oil in the rear end yesterday, could this maybe have something to do with it?

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
well theres one connector on the pass side of the trans for shifting and pressure control, if it gets dirty or isnt connected properly it could cause it to go into safemode, on the driver side youll see another connector for your nuetral safety and whatnot, the device that its connected to is adjustable and has marks on it that need to be lined up with the trans in nuetral

as for your rear diff oil change i dont think that would of caused it unless somehow he messed up the vss( i dought it)

if none of those work out for ya then the trans is shot inside and needs to be replaced again, but it does sound like it could be something as simple as what i mentioned above

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just come back inside from looking at it. started it up, and drove it down the road, was running fine and then BAM it did it again with the overdrive light started flashing again. I think i know what 2 connectors your talking about. Is one the one connected to your shifter on the tree and the one on the drivers side what the hell does it connect to. I was wondering about the sensors could that be a problem.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
the connector for your shifter is on the shift lever on the trans, thats your mlps sensor it has lines on it you will need to line up, this will cause the trans to shift and make it hard to start in P or D

the connector for the computer is on the pass side of the trans on top of the valve body, this is the one that will effect computer shifting

ill se if i can find pix, theres a few write ups that have great info on em and tons of pix

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude i apprciate the help, i've been workin on this thing since the beginning of may and finally got her lifted and running and now this. I drove it to work today because i was going to ge my windows tinted, but came on home after my tranny craped itself. I think i know where your talking about after i went back out and looked underneath her. I still don't understand how to line up the mlps sensor. I'm going to call it a night but once again thanks for the info and pics would be greatly appreciated. If i have to buy a another new transmission i might shoot someone!!!!!!

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
yep and heres your pix, i had to rebuild mine myself a few months ago

chuk wheels, put in neutral, pop your shift cable off, remove the nut for the shift lever, remove shift level, clean mlps till you can see the lines, then loosen two side bolts, alighn the marks, tighten down bolts and put everything back together and your done,

the second pic is the passanger side connector that should just need a good cleaning with electrical cleaner

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I know Steve83 won't like this suggestion but if you DO have to drive it one more time before you go into repair mode, try pushing the O/D button in on the gearshift right after you start her up. The orange light should stay on and it should keep your tranny in 1st, 2nd and 3rd only, and hopefully keep it from trying to blow itself up.

Warning---this is just a temp fix. You do still have probems though.............

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I know Steve83 won't like this suggestion but if you DO have to drive it one more time before you go into repair mode, try pushing the O/D button in on the gearshift right after you start her up. The orange light should stay on and it should keep your tranny in 1st, 2nd and 3rd only, and hopefully keep it from trying to blow itself up.

Warning---this is just a temp fix. You do still have probems though.............
:doh0715:

It's not a 'fix' for anything, and you're not actually doing anything to the transmission. All you're doing is locking it out of overdrive, and there's nothing that overdrive is doing that's causing it to go into it's failsafe strategy.

The whole point of the transmission going into the failsafe strategy is to try and keep it from blowing itself up. By doing that, you're just screwing with something that doesn't need to be screwed with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts