With part time 4 wheel drive and lock out hubs,
what would be a disadvantage in welding the front
differential? From what I see, none, as long as
the hubs are locked out.
L.D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It will be hard to steer with stock steering when four wheel drive is engaged, it is also hard on parts. It will be almost impossible to drive on the street in bad weather. Plan on upgrading your axle shafts and u-joints. Make sure that the person welding it is capable of doing it right.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
If you are going to do that buy a mini spool instead....that way if you don't like it you can pull it out. Once it is welded, you would have to replace everything and a mini is a lot cheaper! I think Fourwheeler did an article a few months back on welding up the spider gears.

·
Registered
481 Posts
it's an assembly that replaces your spider gears in you carrier so that the axleshafts are always 100% locked, like an ATV axle. They usually come in two peices so you dont have to dissasemble the ring gear from the carrier. If you want to do the same for the rear, get a full spool that is a solid chunk of metal that replaces your whole carrier and decreases the risk of breakage.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Go with the mini-spool. A mini-spool and a hardened cross pin cost just over $100. Call Randy's Ring and Pinion, great prices and great service.

The ring gear has to be removed to remove the cross pin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
King Andy351 said:
i know what are saying squatty, but i hope thats what the other dude meant.
Yes Andy thats what I meant, its common sense that it won't cause problems when the hubs are unlocked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts