Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I stumbled upon a 1969 Lincoln Continental Mark III, 2 door, 460, White with black leather inter. Its got just shy of a 100,000 on the clock and the body is in amazing shape for being a 41 year old car in Western NY salt.

My questions are:
Is there any issues that anyone has heard about with the old Lincolns or the 460?
An he said there is no title because of the year. He said that it is just done by the registration. Is this true for such an old car? I've only gotten into the late 70's with the car and they all had titles.
Its has a cracked windshield and I'm wondering what that is going to cost me?

The car is in great shape and the guys gotta get it out of his driveway before the wife comes home. He wants 500 cash for it? good deal?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Cars have titles. He's full of shit. Don't buy it without a title. It's most likely either stolen or has a lein on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was worried about. I knew that didn't sound right. Damn. I'll call him in the morning and see what the deal is.
Hope is was just mistaken.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
my friend got an 80 firebird with no title, he was able to get one from the state though. Just took about a month and a half

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My '68 Chevelle was a year older and I had a title for it. I wouldn't buy it without a title. However, I wouldn't hesitate on buying that 460 if he's willing to part it out.

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
My '67 Mustang has a title. He may have lost it or never had it. Run the VIN at your local Cop Shop. If it comes up clear check into obtaining a title in your state. Laws vary state to state.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
Every car in every state and territory must have a title, no exceptions. A title shows actual ownership. A registration only shows who is allowed to operate the vehicle.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Tell your problem to a Police officer, He will go to the guy's house with you to help with all of your questions...hehe.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
my friend got an 80 firebird with no title, he was able to get one from the state though. Just took about a month and a half
My '67 Mustang has a title. He may have lost it or never had it. Run the VIN at your local Cop Shop. If it comes up clear check into obtaining a title in your state. Laws vary state to state.
Every car in every state and territory must have a title, no exceptions. A title shows actual ownership. A registration only shows who is allowed to operate the vehicle.
After a certain age car in Ga they don't require a title. Yes they had a title but may not need one. My 79F150 does not have a title the PO died and the family never got it swapped just kept registering it. They call it a "broken title" here. As long as he has a registration he can provide you and a bill of sale it should be good.

I would start with your local tag office to see what needs to happen and get the correct answer from them.;)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
In texas the last owner has to file for the lost title, a licenced auto sales man, or an auto shop can do an auto lein. But that has gotten so expensive, and the lein holder has to do so much paper work that most shops around here will take their loses and sell the auto to the state as scrap.

·
Registered
273 Posts
NY old cars do not need a title, get a Bill of Sale and have it Notarized. I have bought a car from NY here in SC and it was not a problem. Older boats here in SC do not have titles. As long a it is not stolen and you pay taxes and insurance the rest is formalities.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I agree with 79F150. In GA, as long as you provide a Bill of Sale as well as the previous owner's registration when tagging a vehicle then the state recognizes that as ownership and have no problems insuring, tagging, registering, etc. the vehicle. The limit is 25 yrs. Then its considered an antique and is no longer subject to the title rule. My 71 doesn't have a title.

If your state doesn't have a problem why should you? I couldn't care less if I have a title. As long as the vehicle is in my possession and the state recognizes me as the lawful owner, what will a piece of paper do for me?....Aside from being worth a little more to the right buyer if you have a classic, but as I have found with my 71 being for sale, people (atleast here in the southeast) don't care.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
The laws differ from state to state.In Maine if you buy a vehicle that is 15 years old or more you can't even register for a state of Maine title for the vehicle.It's not possible to get one.If you owned a vehicle before it turned 15 years old, then it is possible to have a title for that vehicle.But if you sold that vehicle to someone in Maine the new owner couldn't get a title for it. :banghead

Two years ago I sold a car with no title to a guy from New York.All he needed to register for a title in New York was a signed bill of sale and the State of Maine registration signed over to the buyer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I didn't a little research, and any vehicle older then 73 does not need a title. All that is needed is a bill of sale with all the vehicle information and the transfer registration. That's it. That was from the Title and registration board of New York. I'm pretty happy about it. Picked the car up today for $400 bucks. Drove it home with my buddies dealer plates. Ran the hell out of it. kept getting this ticking noise on the way home. So when I get home I start looking around and the pipe that is on the bottom of the air intake to bring warm air in in the winter time was broken off and rattling around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts