Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. i just took out my transmission today.. it is the E40D tranny..

question is, what are the 2 lines that hook into the tranny on the passenger side?? they run to the front of the truck..

i thought they were cooling lines, but it looks and smells like oil coming out...

heres some pics of what im talking about...

and here you can see both of them after tranny was removed..

·
Banned
7,386 Posts
Yes, they carry hot ATF up to the radiator (& then possibly another oil-to-air cooler), and back to the trans. If your ATF looks like engine oil, the trans is probably NOT healthy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they carry hot ATF up to the radiator (& then possibly another oil-to-air cooler), and back to the trans. If your ATF looks like engine oil, the trans is probably NOT healthy.
thanks steve.. im pulling the tranny pan tomorrow.. ill update on what i find out.. if the fluid looks bad, would all new atf be an ok fix?? unless i find alot of metal shavings of course... lol.. then i know i have a problem.. ill be replacing the TQ also..

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
It still looks reddish to be but probably a bit burnt. Get a aftermarket cooler along with that flush?

ATF always smells terrible though. But there is a huge difference between normal terrible and burnt terrible

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo I,

There is a magnet in the pan to collect debris; Install the pan magnet on the dimple of the bottom of the pan.

Fluid & Filter and Ford Pan w/Drain Plug Change and External Filter in a 94
Source: by sewiv (Sandy) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130945

Filter, Remote Installation, Perma-Cool 81008 Filter Kit in a 96
Source: by trh at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119559

Filter, Internal, Grommet Warning; "...When ever you go to change your trans filter, Always make sure to pull out the little round rubber do hicky thingamabob. Lets call it a gromit or a seal? Theres this part of the trans filter that is inserted into the trans (a round tube that goes up into this hole ); Now the tube has a gasket of sorts that wraps around the tube ( kinda like a wide O-ring )It form a seal between the tube and the hole it goes in. Well what ended up killing my trans was that fact that the last guy that changed the trans filter didnt notice that this o-ring thing (gromit Or what ever) did'nt come out with the filter it stayed in the hole! He left it in there; & installed the new filter witch had its preinstalled gromit already; So what he did, is he (unknowingly) stacked two gromits on top of each other, Witch did not let the filters tube fit as it should. It was starving itself for fluid!! It was sucking air as well as tranny fluid! (in other words not working right) ..."
Source: by BlancoBronco (Cam C , Project BLANCO) at FSB

Filter Clip Alternative; "... have seen many threads and received many pm's as of late speaking of the stay-put filter clip used to keep the filters from falling out of the pump in the e4od. there is an alternative to using this clip. it is more expensive but also has more benefits than just using this clip. you can get a trans pan from a 03 super-duty truck. this pan has little humps in the bottom to but up against the bottom of the filter and this keeps the filter from falling down. this pan also has a drain plug and extra capacity for 1.5 more qts of fluid. this pan also allows you to use the much better elastomer gasket. it is reusable and virtually leak-proof. much better than the cork design. it does require the use of a 4x4 filter..."
Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) at FSB
Filter Clip pics in a 96 5.0
Source: by Tony K (Boat Dude, Big Blue) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/7833/23964
lost power, m on back up supply..bbl

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i droppped the pan to find some very burnt fluid.. i talked to the mechanic accross the street, and he said that ill probably have a problem with slipping when i replace the fluid.. what do yall think..

heres some pics..

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo dsw;
EDIT; I cleaned-up the c&p

This is by Steve83E4OD THE DANGER OF CHANGING THE ATF
I'm no slushbox expert, but this is how I understand it: A) Starting with a good trans & the right fluid, over time, debris is generated in the trans due to normal wear & contamination. The fluid contains detergent additives that keep this debris suspended in the fluid until it can flow back to the filter to be removed. B) But the fluid only contains SO MUCH detergent. So if it's not changed on-schedule, the debris doesn't get suspended, and it settles out all over the trans. But this alone doesn't cause any immediate problems, which is why so many people neglect the trans fluid for so long. C) Eventually, someone realizes how old the fluid is, and changes it with fresh detergent-rich fluid. This begins to break up the deposits, but it also loosens large chunks, which can block up the valve body's fine passages & ports, causing MAJOR damage. D) From what I've seen, there are 2 possible ways to avoid this damage: 1) rebuild the trans 2) change the filter & fluid once, using decent aftermarket ATF. It's also a good time to add the drain plug kit. Then drive 50-200 miles to break up most of the deposits. Then change the fluid & filter again, using MotorCraft Mercon. If the trans goes out after that, IT WAS GOING OUT ANYWAY. See option 1).

more @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/71694

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yo dsw;
2) change the filter & fluid once, using decent aftermarket ATF. It's also a good time to add the drain plug kit. Then drive 50-200 miles to break up most of the deposits. Then change the fluid & filter again, using MotorCraft Mercon. If the trans goes out after that, IT WAS GOING OUT ANYWAY. See option 1).
Ill probably end up doing this.. thanks for the great info..

I can see why you thought it was motor oil now. Geeze thats burnt.
yea.. it was pretty bad and smelled terrible..

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
well i droppped the pan to find some very burnt fluid.. i talked to the mechanic accross the street, and he said that ill probably have a problem with slipping when i replace the fluid.. what do yall think..

heres some pics..
Change the fluid with some cheap Dex/Merc and add an auxillary trans filter and cooler. It might slip it might not, wont know until you do it (that's why you use cheap fluid the first time around). If it does slip it was already toast.

Auxillary trans filter and cooler in my truck:

Keeps the trans happy and the fluid pristine. After running with just the added filter and cooler for a while the transmission pan was damn near spotless, I've seen pans on healthy transmissions loaded with clutch material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts