Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i replaced the rear window weatherstrip... I've had trouble getting the rear window up--- I need to have someone bump the rear window up and down as I assist by hand to get it up... I also replaced one of the plastic guides (plastic square) and lubed to new felts with silicone spray and thought it just needed a while.... 2 months later still....

The motor works...the right side is much stronger and it wants to go higher...
There is a small rod from the latch mechanism that I have no clue where it goes...

I tried with the tailgate downand the latches closed still no dice! So I don't think its the top channels... But this is a PITS.. No popping just stops... I don;t want to bugger this thing up...

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,083 Posts
Try lossening the side slides and see if it will go up and down like that. If it will then try to move them a little to where its easier. I had to adjust mine as such when I replaced the glass. Also be sure you have the felt in the slide all the way, One of mine was slightly not and gave me similar problems. I also have had the two weatherstrips at the top of the tailgate come unseated and cause this same issue, make sure those are fully in its easy to miss one.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
LMC carries some great, hard to find stuff... but their weatherstripping is always a crap shoot. Probably just not fitting in properly, like CBG said. :shrug

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
I would start with aligning the runners in the tailgate, sounds like they are what is causing your binding.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
:stupid misunderstood your issue before. :shrug

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
funny itook off the tailgate access panel.... Didn't do anything else

Got busy with life..... now since it is cold, it works fine... Who knows?

·
Super Moderator
26,078 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a small rod from the latch mechanism that I have no clue where it goes....
I believe that rod is what "tells" the latch the window is all the way down and okay to open to tailgate. I may be mistaken. Just had mine apart today and panicked a bit when I saw after the regulator was removed. Pulled down on it and it freed the latch mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Definitely hit any soft rubber especially the tailgate end seals with plenty of silicone lubricant. If its soft, it will need periodic lubrication with silicon. Maybe once a year to keep it in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
26,078 Posts
yo, There ya go JOWENS! We clean all ws with cotton rags soaked in dishwash soap before applying silicone; using a rag section wrapped around a tongue depresser. The amount of crud removed is huge!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe that rod is what "tells" the latch the window is all the way down and okay to open to tailgate. I may be mistaken. Just had mine apart today and panicked a bit when I saw after the regulator was removed. Pulled down on it and it freed the latch mechanism.
That is correct. My buddy and I were replacing the window motor and we noticed when the tailgate was down and the access panel removed, that rod was flopping all over the place. We were completely baffled on what is was supposed to hook onto. we looked for diagrams and nothing made any sense but through perseverance we discovered that when the tailgate is in the up position, that latch rod dangles down and when the window is brought down it hooks the window and in turn pulls the latch open allowing the tailgate to be opened. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
also check the plastic striker bushings on the latches. if tail gate door is slightly unhinged, it wont align.

·
Registered
257 Posts
...we noticed when the tailgate was down and the access panel removed, that rod was flopping all over the place. ...when the tailgate is in the up position, that latch rod dangles down and when the window is brought down it hooks the window and in turn pulls the latch open allowing the tailgate to be opened.
It shouldn't be flopping around. There is a plastic guide that clips onto the rod, or maybe the rod runs through it, that then clips through a hole in the gate itself. This holds it in place, so that the "L" on the bottom of the rod catches the glass as it comes down, opening the lock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts