Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so where have yall done your swaps? driveway, garage, shop with lift, shed?

i'm looking at using a garage on my grandmother's bird preserve/farm. so the garage is a two car with a 7 foot door(too short to put the truck in). it has one electrical outlet that power the garage door. and one light. behind it there are two covered, dirt floor, open wall bays. i can dig out the floor with the tiny tractor to get in and out of the thing. my concern is my welder needs 220 and it's a dirt floor where the truck can fit. o yea my apartment doesn't allow my to work on the truck in the garages there which it doesn't fit into anyway.

my only thing left to buy is tires and brakes and all the little things i've forgotten. i've been collecting parts for almost 3 years now and i want to start this thing.

share your experiences. has anyone done a d60 swap with coils on dirt without a welder handy? is putting a separate fuse box in the garage going to raze the vale of the property? (family looking at selling it in a few years)

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I helped with this one in a driveway once...it was ok I guess :toothless

I've worked on mine under this thing:

However, all our welders are powered by their own generators, so lack of 220 was not an issue for me...

I've done a ton of work in the dirt. Sure concrete is nice, but it's far from essential if you have a nice, wide base for your jack stands. Go to a lumberyard and pick up some (roughly, this will be far from exact) 18"x18"x4" blocks and sit your stands on them. Should cost you like $5 at most.

EDIT: If you "raze" the value of a property, that would be destroying it :toothless The 220 box would raise the value a little, but probably not much...

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
If you are going to dig out the floor make shure it is good and level. Or flat however you want to look at it. I think you will want it flat as possible, so you dont have any frame flex when measuring for swap. I have all my goodies to do my swap but no place to do it, so I feal your pain. Good luck and have some fun doin it.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Did my SAS outside, next to the shop, since we were still building it hanging the doors and running the wiring. the shop has lights, 'lectricity including a 220v outlet for the welder, and a big-a$$ air compressor. Working on bare ground is easier than soft dirt, but I would love to have done all the work on the concrete floor inside. Used 4"x6" blocks we cut for leveling a house to keep jack stands from sinking into the ground, and a big sheet of 3/4"-thick plywood under the floor jack. Only real problem I ever had was letting the grass grow up too tall around the Bronco, then spraying it with round-Up weed killer. I come close to burning up the Bronco while welding on the front of the frame from some sparks that ignited the grass. My firefighting skills put the fire out before it burned the Bronco up, and it did clean away all the dead grass. JSM84 :twak

Post-fire:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did mine outside on an angled driveway. Being level would of been alot easier. I just stood there, looked at it, then canted my head sideways to what I thought was the angle and went for it......:toothless If you are on level ground and somewhat covered so you don't have to wait on the weather, I would say you are good to go...

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
The best place to do your SAS is where you have access to. Sure, we'd all love to do it in a nice concrete floor air plane hangar sized shop complete with all of the amenities, but that's not very realistic. Digging out the floor sounds like a great way to fawk up the shop, as well as possibly create drainage issues. From what you've described I'm pretty sure that I would just work on it with the truck right outside of that shop before I went to extraordinary lengths like excavation.

On the other issue, upgrading the shops electrical service may or may not increase the value of it, it all depends on what the buyer wants to do with the building. If you're going to upgrade the electrical service do it based on your needs, not the resale value of the upgrade. Also consider that the actual amount of welding to the truck itself can be very minimal, depending on how you want to do things. Consider just bringing in a generator for the day whenever you need to weld on the truck itself, and you can weld up any other brackets and what not somewhere else. You'll have to be more organized in how you do it due to the increased planning factor, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
I did mine in the garage then to pull it out I ratchet straped the crossmember and the axle and compressed all the suspension to get it out. Oh yeah it was in the middle of the summer hawt as fawk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the space is covered. and i can rig up tarps to keep out even very heavy rain. i just need some bigger bases for my jack stands it sounds like. and i can probly fanangle my boss's big generator for a weekend once in a wile. it's about a 25 minute drive each way so i really can't run back and forth fitting things. but most of the parts can be made away from the truck.

well, off to lowes to get some 2 x 12;s and blast my RA to start extending them.

everyone else post up where you did your swaps. should make for some useful info.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am doing mine in the garage with some heat and it should fit in a 7 foot door mine did before I have to take the tires off the stock rims to get it out the door now but only need an1 or 2

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Well, call me a wimp, but mine was done in the garage, in late spring. Plenty of outlets, welder close by. No way in winter, 1) cuz it's too damn cold to have patience to do it right, and 2) cuz NO ONE would have been silly enough to have come and helped me. So I guess my plan works since there was me and 4 other guys working it, which is why it was done, more or less, in a weekend.

I saved all the winter months leading up to it for pre-fabbing certain things, and having everything cleaned, painted, ready to go.

Oh, I premeasured the doors and knew pretty close what my resulting lift would be, so I had no real worries about getting out of the garage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did mine in the middle of the summer between the afternoon drenchings on the driveway with some modified jack stands from Harbor Freight.
Pissed the HOA off about it, took a little extra time to do had to wait on parts that were on back order.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Did mine in my inlaws Barn. Notice the nice flooring I got to work in. I wore more of that shit in my hair and pants than I ever wish to again, but I got it done. Did it over the summer, in the afternoons when I got home from work and some on the weekends. Many MANY late nights spent out there.

Looking at these pictures makes me miss it....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I did mine outside the shop, because I knew it wasn't going to be a one or two weekend project, and me and dad kind of have a mutual agreement that long term projects can't take up all the vehicle space in the shop unless absolutely necessary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts