Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to run locked hubs all the time? i realize the gas efficiency or should i say inefficiency by having it locked but are there other things I should worry about like premature wear in the front diff... transfer case... etc???

i tend to lock my front hubs when it's raining (now that there's no snow in Houston), so when I need 4x4, i can flick it on and not get out should i be driving in a monsoon type rain storm.

speaking of 4x4... do i have to stop the truck to turn it on? if not, what's the safe speed in engaging 4x4 with locked front hubs? anything to be concerned about when engaging?

thanks in advance. still kinda new to all this truck thing.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Houston is 99% concrete. You don't need any 4x4 unless it's covered in snow and ice. Leaving the hubs locked would be stupid to do.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
dont do it its not good for the hubs. u dont need four wheel drive for rain. its not like all wheel traction of todays vehicles

·
Registered
26 Posts
dude you cant drive if you are worried about having your stuff locked in 4x4 all the time, i hardly have my truck in 4x4 in the mud lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think the owners manual states not to drive on DRY pavement while 4WD is engaged. I am also curious about any potential issues with running the hubs locked (without 4WD engaged) all the time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh no! i don't engage the 4x4 on dry but i was asking was is it ok to lock the front hubs but not engage the 4x4 so when i do need it, i don't have to get out of the truck, lock both sides then get back in.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
yes you can do that, it might bind a little when turning sharp, but will be fine, with 2wd on the t-case and hubs locked it will be fine, it will just add wear to the front end and decrease gas mileage.

i do it all the time in the winter(when there is snow/ice on the ground) and when playing offroad, that way i can pull the shifter back to 4wd when needed(since its shift on the fly, you can shift from 2hi to 4hi while in motion if no tires are spinning)

as for rain 4wd is not needed, if you want to use it in rain or dry pavement swap in a np203 or transfer-case out of a v8 explorer/expedition that has a center diff in it(all time 4wd), and install slugs on the hubs.
if you lock it in 4wd in the rain/dry pavement it is going to bind and break something.

oh and
late 99+ ranger are locked all the time in the front from the factory
95+ explorers are locked all the time from the factory

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes you can do that, it might bind a little when turning sharp, but will be fine, with 2wd on the t-case and hubs locked it will be fine, it will just add wear to the front end and decrease gas mileage.

i do it all the time in the winter(when there is snow/ice on the ground) and when playing offroad, that way i can pull the shifter back to 4wd when needed(since its shift on the fly, you can shift from 2hi to 4hi while in motion if no tires are spinning)

as for rain 4wd is not needed, if you want to use it in rain or dry pavement swap in a np203 or transfer-case out of a v8 explorer/expedition that has a center diff in it(all time 4wd), and install slugs on the hubs.
if you lock it in 4wd in the rain/dry pavement it is going to bind and break something.

oh and
late 99+ ranger are locked all the time in the front from the factory
95+ explorers are locked all the time from the factory
assuming these front diffs are bolt ons?

·
Registered
742 Posts
you will be fine. as stated already, most newer 4x4s don't even have un-lockable hubs, the axles are always locked to the hubs. the only disconnect is the transfer case.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
there are a ton of post on this already Dan..

I never unlock my hubs, they are locked 24/7 365 days a yr. The only down side but I don't consider it even a down side is If you do this You need to do a little more routine maintenance for the front hubs. The spindle bearings Need to be greased

·
Registered
98 Posts
there are a ton of post on this already Dan..

I never unlock my hubs, they are locked 24/7 365 days a yr. The only down side but I don't consider it even a down side is If you do this You need to do a little more routine maintenance for the front hubs. The spindle bearings Need to be greased
:stupid this right here

Its fine leaving your hubs locked all the time. you will have more maintenance on your hubs, keeping the spindle bearing greased, etc. you will also get some binding on real sharp turns, but if you treat it like you are actually in 4x4, then you will be fine. i leave them locked all the time in the winter so i dont have to get out. you get worse gas mileage as well, but we already get crappy mileage in our 2 1/2 ton brick walls, so whats the diff? :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
speaking of 4x4... do i have to stop the truck to turn it on? if not, what's the safe speed in engaging 4x4 with locked front hubs? anything to be concerned about when engaging?
I was raised on the train of thought that you never engauge the t-case unless you are in neutral, reguardless of whether you have manual or push-button shift.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was raised on the train of thought that you never engauge the t-case unless you are in neutral, reguardless of whether you have manual or push-button shift.
that's what I thought. i know people say you can shift "on the fly" but I would think it'll be safer to the whole system if the truck was stopped or not in motion to reduce shock to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
616 Posts
that's what I thought. i know people say you can shift "on the fly" but I would think it'll be safer to the whole system if the truck was stopped or not in motion to reduce shock to the drivetrain.
I dont remember the "on the fly" being touted till the next gen after our trucks. 97+

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
its is, the gears on the bw are synchronized gears(so are np208 in the older broncos, not sure on np205) while the 4l is not .

means as long as the hubs are locked i believe the manual says 55mph, you can shift from 2hi to 4hi and 4hi to 2hi without stopping,tires just have to be moving the same speed

the only time you need to stop and put it in N is for 4LO

·
Registered
616 Posts
If I need 4x4 I usually need 4low, so that wouldnt really help me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts