Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am mid front brake swaps but the outside lock nut was loose so I think the lock ring rode the treads and lodged itself hard on there. Any idea how to remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,048 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm an idiot, took me 5 hours to do because I put in the bearings wrong side in... yeah tell me about it not a bright move on my part. But the studs aren't seated all the way so guess I'll try to "pull" them out more with an air gun otherwise I'll have to pull everything apart yet again to get pressed on the neighbors hydraulic press. Ugh so done with this I just want to drive the damn truck already

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess, he used a couple of angled picks and pulled it out.

Yes exactly, had to hammer the ring to line up with the keyhole a bit and then used a pick to pull it out. Have to degrease all my tools tomorrow as it got onto absolutely everything

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I went through a similar ordeal pulling the shafts out of my spare D44. Passenger side came apart no problem, but the lock ring was jammed on the driver side. Took about an hour of picking with small screwdrivers and smacking with a punch and hammer before I dislodged the ring. Turns out the tab on the ring was twisted and the threads on the spindle were buggered. Not fun. My sympathies dealing with that when you just want to drive

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,044 Posts
I've done/wasted time money before...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for the studs don't need a press to seat them out correctly. Banged on a hammer to take them off and banged them in 8/10th of the way in during reassembly. To finish it off I took 5 washers on the stud with the lug nut and tightened them down to pull the studs out correctly. Proceeded to take her for a test drive and its crazy being able to drive the bronco without having to pull over every 20mins to let the front brakes cool off. Also emptied out the brake fluid reservoirs.... very gunked up is an understatement

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Yuck. My cast iron master got rusty, and the replacement did too after only 2 years, but I've never seen sludge like that in a brake reservoir before. That's foul

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yuck. My cast iron master got rusty, and the replacement did too after only 2 years, but I've never seen sludge like that in a brake reservoir before. That's foul
Yeah it was real bad, looking more and more like jt was the original fluid in there too so that's what I expect out of a 42yo vehicle tbh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts