Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I remember reading about a locker that can be engaged with a cable instead of the usual Air driven type (like ARB)...but I thought I read something that it's only available in Toyotas.

Does anyone have any idea if anything like that for Fords exist or has anyone heard of any company that MIGHT make something like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
you mean something like an Ox Locker?
I just did some checking into those. I've heard the name before but didn't realize that they were engaged with a cable.
That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks Ogeechee.:thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...It looks like this has been available for a while for the dana 44...but I couldn't see where an OX Locker is available for the 8.8. Is there NOT one? :cry :cry :cry :cry
I really like the idea of the cable engagement. It looks like one of the off road companies tried one out in an old F150 and didn't have any problems. They said the front diff conver was like a TANK and the only concern was the adjustment on the cable can be a little quirky at first.
It'll probably be a while before I have cash for lockers so maybe they will come out with one by then.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Ok...It looks like this has been available for a while for the dana 44...but I couldn't see where an OX Locker is available for the 8.8. Is there NOT one? :cry :cry :cry :cry
I really like the idea of the cable engagement. It looks like one of the off road companies tried one out in an old F150 and didn't have any problems. They said the front diff conver was like a TANK and the only concern was the adjustment on the cable can be a little quirky at first.
It'll probably be a while before I have cash for lockers so maybe they will come out with one by then.
Don't know about the 8.8, but remember, unless Ox has expanded their offering, that front locker is for a D44 solid (as in a cover that can be removed), not for TTB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shadofax said:
Don't know about the 8.8, but remember, unless Ox has expanded their offering, that front locker is for a D44 solid (as in a cover that can be removed), not for TTB.
Hadn't realized that :duh ...maybe the E-Locker will be the way I have to go then. I suppose I have heard good things about those as well.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Hadn't realized that :duh ...maybe the E-Locker will be the way I have to go then. I suppose I have heard good things about those as well.
And your issue with ARB being? too much dinero?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shadofax said:
And your issue with ARB being? too much dinero?
Pretty much...just trying to keep costs down...but the more I read about the ARB...the more they seem to appeal to me and I may try and splurge and just do that instead. That's why I started the thread about the York compressors...I always have the itch to buy BRAND NEW but Yorks can be had for pretty cheap at the bone yards but then I Still need a bunch of hose and fittings too. And the Brackets to attach it (broncoair seems like the way to go with that) but it all adds up!

Just trying to see what the best option is...whichever direction I go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Pretty much...just trying to keep costs down...but the more I read about the ARB...the more they seem to appeal to me and I may try and splurge and just do that instead. That's why I started the thread about the York compressors...I always have the itch to buy BRAND NEW but Yorks can be had for pretty cheap at the bone yards but then I Still need a bunch of hose and fittings too. And the Brackets to attach it (broncoair seems like the way to go with that) but it all adds up!

Just trying to see what the best option is...whichever direction I go.

Going with these types of lockers is pretty expensive. You can almost get two regular lockers for what one of these electric,cable or air lockers cost.
 

·
Try it now!!
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Million$dragon said:
but then I Still need a bunch of hose and fittings too.
Bah! Cut the AC hose, and stick a barb fitting in the end of it to convert to whatever you need. Dollar for the fitting, 5 cents for 2 hose clamps.

Thats how I do it, works like a charm. Not pretty but all my friends are too busy picking their jaw off the ground when they see me bust out the impact wrench and air hammer!

-Will
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
Bamataco1 said:
Going with these types of lockers is pretty expensive. You can almost get two regular lockers for what one of these electric,cable or air lockers cost.
Yes, but worth every penny IMO.

Million$dragon, there are lots of ways to skin a cat, as kf4amu shows. I have yet to bother with the OBA, I've always ran the little compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
OX is expanding and have come out with new U-joints. Not sure about the locker though. But the real question is, do you really need a selectable locker?
Not sure what exactly your doing but a Limited Slip might do and save you some coin. but i highly doubt you will see a ttb style or 8.8 syle cable locker from OX because of the lack of use. Most people going with selectable lockers seem to have a 60, 14 bolt, 9" etc. If your planing eventually to go bigger i would hold off on the selectable locker. Just my opinion thinking about money wise.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top