Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got in this "supposedly" rebuilt rear at the stroke of midnight last night. Its in the truck everything is done the way its supposed to be, but when i pulled out of the garage it poped really loud. I figured it was the locker and it was supposed to do that. well when i pull out on to the road to leave my dads house. i get maybe 30ft away not hard on the gas and it starts grinding really bad, truck stops moving and all it is is grinding. This rear has 4:56s and a detroit locker that replaces your spider gears (lunch box locker). has anybody else had any problem like this or knows what to do? Im in a really bad situation right now because im missing school because the truck is down and its even harder to get a ride to work. So the sooner i figure out what the issue is the better. Also if you cant tell this truck is my daily driver.

thanx,
Bill

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
did you make sure the rear diff had fluid in it? i bet its bone dry

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got the rear from a fellow member on here. and i bet theres 4 quarts of fluid in it also.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Pull the cover! Grinding and no movement with a locker. Not good.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, im gonna go get undernieth it now and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:doh0715:

You installed a locker at midnight last night, when you had school in just hours, and expect it to go right? Never heard of Murphy huh...

And you get your second :doh0715:

The first thing you should have done was pop the cover... how do you expect us to give you an accurate report when your most technical information was "i get maybe 30ft away not hard on the gas and it starts grinding really bad, truck stops moving and all it is is grinding. "

I just realized that you got a whole axle, not the locker itself... I'm gonna go with kem... did you check the rear for fluid, 99% of the time, when you ship stuff like that, you ship it dry, because shipping companies don't like it when packages start leaking out of things like vent tubes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:doh0715:

You installed a locker at midnight last night, when you had school in just hours, and expect it to go right? Never heard of Murphy huh...

And you get your second :doh0715:

The first thing you should have done was pop the cover... how do you expect us to give you an accurate report when your most technical information was "i get maybe 30ft away not hard on the gas and it starts grinding really bad, truck stops moving and all it is is grinding. "

I just realized that you got a whole axle, not the locker itself... I'm gonna go with kem... did you check the rear for fluid, 99% of the time, when you ship stuff like that, you ship it dry, because shipping companies don't like it when packages start leaking out of things like vent tubes.
i put almost 4 quarts of fluid in the rear last night. I started working on it at 3pm yesterday, didnt get done until 12am (the old rear did NOT want to let go easily). I have school at nights. Also do yalls think that maybe a brake dragging on one side would cause it? Because my drivers side brake wont contract all the way. I put the ass end up on jack stands took the wheels and tires off, then put it in gear and it did it. then i had to beat the drivers side drum off. then pulled the pass. side off and then started it again and put it in drive. ran all the way up to 3rd gear and it was fine. then i put the drums back on did it again. I know when i first got it i pulled the cover and it looked good. This thing doesnt need any crazy kind of fluid or anything right? Im putting in 75w90 Valvoline gear oil.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Wait...let me get this straight...you put the truck on jack stands... ran it. and it did the grinding noise, then......removed the wheels and drums, ran it through 3rd gear with no noise (no resistance) then put the drums back on and the noise came back?:doh0715:

REMOVE THE DIFF COVER!:twak

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the confusion. i removed everything but the drums first, it did it, then removed the drums, no noise no grinding everything was good, put em back on to be sure, did it again. I know there is no load on the rear but this is the only thing I can do with out completly trashing it before i can even fix it. I removed the diff cover and all looks good. Theres a lil bit of really tiny metal specks, that im sure is because of the grinding. Nothing looks broken nothing looks out of place. Ive got no idea. The only thing thats throwing up a red flag is the brakes.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hmmmmm.....Driveshaft spinning?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like maybe the gears weren't set right.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No, this axle was driving fine before it left. I know, because im the one who sold it to him.

The locker is going to be very agressive, as its a detroit, so the loading/unloading can seem a bit violent at times. I thought it had a problem at first as well, but it turned out that the trans mounts were gone and the pass side engine mount was toast as well, which made the load/unload much more intense, especially combined with a manual trans.

I drove it around quite a bit before it was sold, and there was never any type of grinding noise coming from it.

But lets think about this, from what i understand, you put the rear up on jack stands and put it into "D" and it still did the problems you described. Then you took the drums off and it was fine? This definetly points at the breaks as being a problem. They were working as well when i shipped the axle, but that was months and about 40 degrees ago, maby one of them has frozen up? No doubt about it, that would make the diff do some funny things.

and yes, i did ship it with no fluid.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea im down there right now trying to get this thing right. Sam i sure hope your right about the brakes cause buddy this thing is kickin my ass:banghead.lol
Wish me luck

Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no go on brakes hanging up. Still got issues. im stumped on this fellas. SMurray its doing the same thing with the banging but the thing is its doing it going in a straight line and while it does it it throws the truck all over the road. When i give it even the slightest bit of gas like im going to merge into traffic itll pop then do the grind thing still. i disconnected the rear brake for the drivers side and plugged it so i can still use my brakes and that was pointless still same problem.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
So it is going now? Is it grinding or clicking? (random or rythmic)
You will get a shimmy on the highway especially in a turn no matter how slight. Make sure your rear axle is in tight and straight. Maybe even check the alignment. If the axle tubes are bent the locker teeth won't mesh right. Was it damaged in shipping.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bill,

im a bit confused here.

Here you said it was fine when you removed the drums.

Sorry for the confusion. i removed everything but the drums first, it did it, then removed the drums, no noise no grinding everything was good, put em back on to be sure, did it again. I know there is no load on the rear but this is the only thing I can do with out completly trashing it before i can even fix it. I removed the diff cover and all looks good. Theres a lil bit of really tiny metal specks, that im sure is because of the grinding. Nothing looks broken nothing looks out of place. Ive got no idea. The only thing thats throwing up a red flag is the brakes.
Now you say its not. Couple things. First, are you actually removing the drums, or just disconnecting the lines? If one of the drums is sticking i dont think disconnecting the line is going to do any good. Furthermore, did you remove both, or only one? Any imbalance between the two sides of the axle and the amount of resistance on either is going to make a locker go nuckingfuts on the road.

·
Registered
904 Posts
and if its making a bad noise like that and you truly suspect that its not just normal locker shenanigans, dont drive it on the road, you could be destroying it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bill,

im a bit confused here.

Here you said it was fine when you removed the drums.

Now you say its not. Couple things. First, are you actually removing the drums, or just disconnecting the lines? If one of the drums is sticking i dont think disconnecting the line is going to do any good. Furthermore, did you remove both, or only one? Any imbalance between the two sides of the axle and the amount of resistance on either is going to make a locker go nuckingfuts on the road.
the drivers side drum was fine until i hit the brakes. they would expand but not contract all the way causing them to drag on the one side. so i disconnected it on the one side, made sure it wasnt dragging before i put it on the road and still have a problem. Now the grinding sounds like someone is trying to put a transfer case in 4wd while driving (before you say that its my transfer case, its not, its fine, i checked) like i said this is just what it sounds like thats not what it is. when im driving the poping and banging is random this is all in a straight line, this also causes the truck to jump all over the road. if it were to happen at 60-65mph id have a handful trying to keep it straight (was lucky to see 40mph it was so bad).. turning is perfectly fine. the poping happens in reverse also. the grinding comes when i get on the gas a little and ive got to shut the truck off in drive to stop it, because if i put it in park i get that horrific grinding noise from the trans, you get when u put a moving truck in park. what im trying to say here is this thing is doing things when its not supposed to when your driving in a straight line. Im no guru on lockers but i know whats reasonable and whats not when it comes to these things and im telling ya this thing is fawked up. Mind fawk it all yalls want but bottom line is i cant drive my truck. If yalls want id be more than happy to take video of this to prove that it aint right.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts