Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its gettin down to the nitty-gritty as far as ordering parts for my truck.. Its got a dana 60 front , and a sterling 10.25 rear.... so i got the 4.56 gears already, but im lost as far as possibly welding them... Im wandering if i weld the front and rear and put a hydro assist up front, if ill be fine driving it on the road once in a while? anyone have any horror stories from welding the front diff? Im reading up on pros/cons of "lincoln lockers" but this is still a little out of my league...

So i guess my question really is.... Is welding both axles with hydro assist make it tollerable on the street?

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
If in doubt--buy a mini spool. A spool or locker won't be a problem on the street with manual hubs, unless you drive it in 4wd with the hubs locked in on dry pavement. If you do that, you're an idiot.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
My lockright hates dry pavement. It's nearly impossible to turn. Hydro assist might make it better. With a 60 you probably wouldnt have to worry as much about breaking axle shafts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm with ^^them, if your hubs are unlocked (manual) then you will have no problem on the street since your tires are not connected to the axle shafts. buy a mini spool for some small change and try it, if you don't like it pull it out and put something else in there

·
Registered
600 Posts
buy an arb selectable locker. Best of both worlds. Might be alittle pricey but well worth it. Check out performanceoffroad.com. They are typically the lowest priced

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually dont put it in 4wd even at the trails unless its a huge pit, or im stuck:banghead. I like playing around in 2wd most of the time... I think im going to hold off and buy a mini spool a little down the road.. Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and for the rear, i just ordered a Detroit for it.. So my 2wd will be a tid bit better to say the least.. ha

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
yeah a locker in the back is a huge improvement over stock and will get you pretty far. A mini spool vs a ARB is like $1000 difference when you include the compressor. for the occasional useage of 4WD I wouldn't spend the extra grand on it

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You want a selectable or some sort of slip up front. Turning on anything sux otherwise and unlocking one up is lame.
I agree but for the $900 I saved I'd gladly get my a$$ out and lock a hub, or just wheel with a passenger and have them lock and unlock the hubs! thats what I do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts