Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 BKO orig-5.0efi swap to 91 5.8efi w/AOD longtube w/2.5in to 3in hiflo cat 3in hp shorty flomaster
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking around a bit... I've always kinda been a fan of Torsen locking diffs. Why do you not hear about more people putting these in instead of lunchbox lockers, clutch pack limited slips, etc?
I'm talking down the line of not being able to afford, wanting a full on locker.
What are the pros and cons of Torsens?

·
Registered
86 BKO orig-5.0efi swap to 91 5.8efi w/AOD longtube w/2.5in to 3in hiflo cat 3in hp shorty flomaster
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been doing some research on lockers since I would eventually like to put a passive? locker in my bronco?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,640 Posts
Torsen type diffs dont do quite as well when you get bigger tires as, say, a Detroit TrueTrac. They are great for 31" tires or so. My mustang with one would roast both back tires into 3rd gear. Never really had an issue spinning a tire on sharp corners, taking them hard enough to skid the tires. It had great power transfer.

Reason they arent used more here is our trucks never came with them. The cheap LS option is the factory clutch type. Otherwise, guys usually pony up a couple more bills for a better LS/Locker.

Many mustangs with 8.8 rear ends came with torsens. Im unsure of axle spline count, but otherwise they would fit a bronco 8.8. Personally, I would save another month and buy the detroit truetrac

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,356 Posts
I agree with @BigBlue 94 ..something else to consider is how you plan to wheel it..the trutrac will work in a lot of situations but it's still technically a limited slip..I've got a trutrac up front and detroit locker in the rear..If I had it to do over I'd go to a selectable locker like an Eaton e-locker or ARB. Sure they're spendy, but like the saying goes, pay once cry once..

Reactions: BigBlue 94
1 - 4 of 4 Posts