Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, tried looking for this in search but was unable to find a match...

Took my 88 out for the first time over the weekend. When i locked the hubs, put it in 4x hi/low (didn't matter) the front end became "squirlly" when going down a sandy/gravel dirt road. The front end would dart in either direction, kind like real loose sterring however, when in 2wd it tracks fine.

Any ideas?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
... the front end became "squirlly" when going down a sandy/gravel dirt road. The front end would dart in either direction, kind like real loose sterring however, when in 2wd it tracks fine.

Any ideas?
:shrug How loose was the dirt/gravel? If you're refering to the steering wheel being jerked around, could just be that left side is getting traction, then the right slips, then the right side grabs, then the left side slips...etc...that is causing the problem, espesially if you're really standing on the gas when you're movin'.

How bad is it?

Check your entire steering linkage.

KC

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry, tried looking for this in search but was unable to find a match...

Took my 88 out for the first time over the weekend. When i locked the hubs, put it in 4x hi/low (didn't matter) the front end became "squirlly" when going down a sandy/gravel dirt road. The front end would dart in either direction, kind like real loose sterring however, when in 2wd it tracks fine.

Any ideas?
FWIW...I went from an 88 F250 longbed to an 87 FSB. These have pretty short wheelbases so they can feel pretty squirly compared to some pickups, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine did that two for a long time and i thought it was a bearing so i replaced it and when i put my hubs back on i learned that one was not unlocking so i was driving around in 3 wheel drive,,so idk you might want to check your hubs out,,i drove in the snow:shocked and it was the scariest drive of my life,,,like driving a sled

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.