Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on getting new locks out of a newer ford and using them on a older bronco?

My driver side door is getting harder and harder to unlock and the ignition key pulls out of the steering column when running .

·
Forward Some Money
5,241 Posts
If by "newer" you mean circa 94-96, it would be a mess and a lot of trouble unless you can re-pin stuff yourself. I dont think the newer locks will fit in the older columns. Newer locks (92 up) use a different pinning configuration.

You can do what Steve says and take the old worn ignition key and lock into the dealership and have them decode and code cut a new key for the ignition.

If it's worn out, I would just replace the ignition with a new Ford OEM one. (I'm not sure if they are still available at the dealership.) It will come with 2 keys. Since the ignition is the only thing on the square key (doors and storage are different anyway) it doesnt matter.

As far as the drivers door, try dry (powdered) graphite. If it's dirty, use electrical contact cleaner FIRST. If the door key works well in the other locks, and the graphite doesnt do it, it may be time for a new lock or have the old one re-pinned.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks J.R, that's what I was afraid of. I have some nice 1994ish F150 that I could grab all three locks ( column and doors ) for about zero dollars, and hoping that they would be a direct fit and a few years newer than my 87 with more life.

·
Forward Some Money
5,241 Posts
Thanks J.R, that's what I was afraid of. I have some nice 1994ish F150 that I could grab all three locks ( column and doors ) for about zero dollars, and hoping that they would be a direct fit and a few years newer than my 87 with more life.
If you could get them (doors and ignition) both for nothing, Id' still get them. I am 99.9% certain the newer profile can't be retro-ed into the 87. I'd still get them and offer them here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.