Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

as some of you know i am looking into an engine swap or a rebuild of my engine. my question is what is the difference in our engines and long block engines? is there anything different that needs to be done when putting on in. Thanks for the help

ken

p.s. i was thinking of having a shop do it, but a 1500 labor charge for something i can do just aint sitting well with me. so basically i can buy the engine block and heads and everything in it, and just put everything from my old engine on there.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
What Stang said, a short block would come with pistons, and crank only. If I'm not mistaken. Just remember on the long block you will also need to supply the upper and lower intake.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
If I remember right about my long block, I had to take the following parts off my old motor. oil pick up, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, clutch fan, intake manifold with the old injectors, plenum, valve covers, oil sender, distributor, all the sensors. I think I got it all.

You know, if those guys will replace everything, including the injectors, I would let them do it. Just tell them you want all the parts they take off, to make sure they replaced them all and for spare parts.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waltman said:
If I remember right about my long block, I had to take the following parts off my old motor. oil pick up, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, clutch fan, intake manifold with the old injectors, plenum, valve covers, oil sender, distributor, all the sensors. I think I got it all.

You know, if those guys will replace everything, including the injectors, I would let them do it. Just tell them you want all the parts they take off, to make sure they replaced them all and for spare parts.
i dont think they are going to replace all that shit, so i found a long block for the truck for 1700 shipped, and if i save 2500 that should allow me to replace everything, injectors, ignition, tps, all that good stuff.

ken.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Just so you know, the injectors are something like $70 each. I never replaced mine, although I really wanted to, I just ran out of money. But my truck runs fine and the plugs look healthy so they must be ok.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
waltman said:
Just so you know, the injectors are something like $70 each.
$204.88 for all 8 Clicky

Edit--------------------------------------------------------

Hmm...Funny.
I'm getting diferant #s between Bronco 5.0 and Mustang 5.0, 19lb injectors.

So I am not sure the injectors will function properly in your aplication.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
everything seems to be working fine. so far i found one for 1395 plus 149 core and free shipping. it all depends on how much i get saved before i order it. if i get enough i will get new everything, from distributor, to oil pump screen and tube, alt, starter everything. but then again i probably wont cause if the stuff i have works, i will use it.

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Gacknar said:
$204.88 for all 8 Clicky
That isn't bad at all. I was quoted more from my parts store and that is with my discount. I would have paid that. In fact the next time my plenum has to come off, I will replace them.

Yes that was Canadian

What I did end up doing though was I used injectors from the intake from a 91? mustang motor I had kicking around. I can't remember for sure now but I may have picked the best of the batch so I may have some from a bronco and others from a mustang.

Gack, would that be a problem I should be correcting, My motor runs smooth and response is good.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
waltman said:
Gack, would that be a problem I should be correcting, My motor runs smooth and response is good.
I dont know why there would be a diferance in the injectors. As far as I know a regular 19lb injector, is a regular 19lb injector. I know of no reson why the Mustangs would be diferant from a Bronco. (but acording to Advance Autos websight they have diferant part #s)

If yours work fine then the ones I linked will work fine too.
(they are factory 86-93 Mustang injectors)

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Are you gonna try to stick with the 302???

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup i am just going to with what is in it now. it is fine for what i use it for.

ken

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
That's what I figured, thanks Gack.
If I had it to do over again, I would put in a 351. Around town I'm very satisfied with the response and power, but on long steep hills, like through the mountains, I would like a little more power. But as long as I down shift in time and keep my RPMs at least 3000 I can mantain the speed limit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just curious, but where are you looking at purchasing your long block from? And, what is the difference in price for a 351?

And for those that may know..... what parts will and will not transfer over to the 302?

I suspect that the 302 computer would have to be swapped out for a 351 computer.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
That is covered many many many times, Ive typed it out about 4 myself.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
I have a set of injectors from both a 5.0 Mustang and a 5.0 Bronco. They're the same.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
stangmata50l said:
Maybe different lengths? That's all i can think of.
Nope, I had thoes exact same Ford racing 19lb injectors in my Broncos 302. If they where diferant lengths then they wouldnt fit the truck intake and fuel rail.

91nite351 said:
its just a diff. in impedance.
Thats what I was thinking. So as long as they are not low impedance injectors they will be fine.

jermil01 said:
I have a set of injectors from both a 5.0 Mustang and a 5.0 Bronco. They're the same.
Even the Impedence?
All numbers on the body are the same?

Either way the Ford Racing 19lb injectors will work just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts