Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site rocks..Tons of good information and knowledgeable members. Im hoping to get some good advice/pointers on what id like to do with my 93 5.8 Auto with a 4" lift.

My goal is to eventually run 40"+ meats powered by a big block. In doing any mods or upgrades I want to keep this final goal in mind and not spending money on upgrades that will just be changed later. For instance I want to lower the gears now and maybe run 36" tires but dont want to put them in my TTB Front Axle that needs to be swapped for a Dana60.

Stage one (right now) Id like to have 3-4" more suspension for a total of 7-8" and run 36" meats and swap out the TTB. My question is should I get the lift first before the axle swap? Also should the lift be planned for the larger big block engine (460) now to handle the extra weight?

Im thinking axle first then order lift for a 1 ton truck?

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Depending on how you want to go I would do the one ton axle swaps first, then the lift and the 40" tires at the same time, By doing these three at the same time it will save you money and time, AS for the 460 swap it will bolt in many members have done this swap so lots of info there

·
Registered
343 Posts
As for lift if you stay coil sprung there was not any 3/4 or 1 ton coil sprung F-series until 2005.
Not to get way off topic but why a 460?
If you plan to BUILD it I understand but out of the box dollar for dollar your 351w has way more options and potential. I mean with a good set of heads you are knocking on 460 power, with a cam, heads, upper and lower manifold change you have a better performing, cheaper, more powerful, better fuel economy motor. then you get into power adders, turbo or SC, built lowers, aluminum blocks, etc etc. Your transmission should really be your second project. So when you do your axle swap to the dana 60, upgrade your coils, radius arms, track bar, shocks and you are good...these items should be upgraded to account for the amount of lift you want. After your lift is done, I would say build your E4OD or get a ZF5. the E4OD eats a lot of power before it hits the ground. just my two sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
What lift kit Should I order for a 8" lift to support the weight of the 460 and having a stright axle instead of the TTB?
Skyjacker is the only company that I know of that makes a 8" lift for a 1993 bronco. Do I need to order the kit for something other than a Bronco because of the new front end?

Rebelranger, I Just have my nuts sold on a 460 lol
I realyl dont want to deal with my SD fuel system and making mods to the 5.8

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Tip #1: Learn how your rig handles stock, then push it to its limit...then lift it. Going to much to fast will break shit, or turn you in to a mall crawler....

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Do the 460 swap first, why would you want to swap an engine when you have to use a ladder?

Then axle swap (TTB is a great axle IMO) and then throw on a suspension lift and some hawgs or whatever

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
As for lift if you stay coil sprung there was not any 3/4 or 1 ton coil sprung F-series until 2005.
Not to get way off topic but why a 460?
If you plan to BUILD it I understand but out of the box dollar for dollar your 351w has way more options and potential. I mean with a good set of heads you are knocking on 460 power, with a cam, heads, upper and lower manifold change you have a better performing, cheaper, more powerful, better fuel economy motor. then you get into power adders, turbo or SC, built lowers, aluminum blocks, etc etc. Your transmission should really be your second project. So when you do your axle swap to the dana 60, upgrade your coils, radius arms, track bar, shocks and you are good...these items should be upgraded to account for the amount of lift you want. After your lift is done, I would say build your E4OD or get a ZF5. the E4OD eats a lot of power before it hits the ground. just my two sense.

take it from me, as i did a 460 swap in my 82. IT FREAKING ROCKS! 400hp and 500 ft pound of torque is obtainable with very little money.. less then you would throw at a small block to get same amount. my whole swap including new c6 tranny, motor and all my parts was only about $2800 and was abit of a bitch for the whole swap, but when you have over 350 ft pounds of torque right off idle you will understand plus its great to say you have a big block. i have a friend here in town who had my identicle motor but in a 78 Bronco, and his with 35" mud tires, stock 3.50 gearing and a c6 was able to smoke them 35's on demand.

here was my motor info

1973 Lincoln 460, with the following

edelbrok performer plus cam and lifters (RV style cam, awesome low end torque good high end hp),

weiand stealth dual plane intake,

Holley 770cfm carb ,

edelbrock triangle shaped air filter,

all new gaskets and seals,

oil filter relocater kit,

new oil pump,

new oil pan,

Cloyes double roller timing chain,

new starter,

new starter solenoid,

hedman long tube headers, with leak proof dead soft aluminum gaskets,

flexible blue powder coated stainless steel radiator hoses,

c6 transmission with shift kit and 1100 stall speed converter.

plus i'm sure i was missing some things, but its the gist of it... btw here is a video of that actual motor in my truck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamOIY6Ukgk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0TtUpYUABc

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
What lift kit Should I order for a 8" lift to support the weight of the 460 and having a stright axle instead of the TTB?
Skyjacker is the only company that I know of that makes a 8" lift for a 1993 bronco. Do I need to order the kit for something other than a Bronco because of the new front end?
Do the 460 swap first, why would you want to swap an engine when you have to use a ladder?

Then axle swap (TTB is a great axle IMO) and then throw on a suspension lift and some hawgs or whatever
Are you going to use this truck offroad?

AJ, good point on the motor swap, but the TTB wont handle 40s if he is going to wheel (and its suspect even if he doesnt).

If you are using the truck offroad, a D60 swap would be advisable. If you are going to do that, you wont need your standard lift kit. Check out the SAS section for tons of info...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone asking for a new front end and a Dana 60 with 40+ meats better be doing something off-road with it lol

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Much appreciated.
I am a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical and knowing what parts/engine go together. When it comes to off roading its all I think about. Ive had my bronco for a long time and fell in love with them through my father with his 1969.
My Bronco is now only a weekend driver (Store and back/Off-Road).

My plan is to eventually have dana 60 front, 10.20 or 14 bolt rear (I think), Big block engine (whatever I can get that marries well with the Speed Density system linked to the auto transmission)

Agghh..At work gtg

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Anyone asking for a new front end and a Dana 60 with 40+ meats better be doing something off-road with it lol

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Much appreciated.
I am a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical and knowing what parts/engine go together. When it comes to off roading its all I think about. Ive had my bronco for a long time and fell in love with them through my father with his 1969.
My Bronco is now only a weekend driver (Store and back/Off-Road).

My plan is to eventually have dana 60 front, 10.20 or 14 bolt rear (I think), Big block engine (whatever I can get that marries well with the Speed Density system linked to the auto transmission)

Agghh..At work gtg
Two things
1. You have a question search then ask.
2. Take pics lots of pics it will be time consuming but a lot of FSB members are willing to lend a hand and already have gone down this road.
Hell a mamber from Ky offered to let me crash at his pad and use his lift at his house never talked to the guy before, but there are a lot of great guys/gals on here that know there shit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been doing alot of searching on swapping in a 460 and making it work with the E4OD Transmission in my 93. Seems like the same problem I had when I wanted to convert to mass air. When it comes down to it their really is no one simple way of doing it.

My question is how will I need to go about getting the 460 to work with the Auto Transmission that currently works with the SD 351?
Is it just a matter of getting a SD EFI 460 and getting a tune done?

Sorry if this is not clear. Thanks again for all the help and info. Pictures coming soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts