Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of ceramic coated hedman headers when i first bought the bronco thinking that wast he way to go. As i have been told the shorties actually deliever more torque and dont have the ground clearance issues. Are shorties really that much better? If i do decide to keep the longtubes will i kick myself in the end?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I had a clearence issue when i tried putting long tubes on my 351. The pass side went on fine, but the driver side hit the fire wall and some other stuff, ended up selling them and picked up some shorties.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well hopefully it wont be too bad. How much of a gain does the shorties give over the long tube?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
long tubes are better, but not on our trucks.

i guess you never thought about your y pipe.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not in particular. I always thought long tubes were better. Well **** idk what to do now

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
It's not that shorties are bettert power makers than long tubes, the long tubes actually out perform shorties slightly.

It's that Long tubes are an absolute hassle on 80-96 Bronco's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like installing them? Bc i but them on 2002 camaro and nothing can be worst then that.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,721 Posts
you will be fine. i have the same ones on a 94 5.8. As for "firewall issues" your body lift will take care of that. if at all possible, heat up the lower portion of the driver side and bend it in slightly(the direction away from the driveshaft). i did not do this and have not had any problems with contact but other people have. Mike 2 did the bend trick and his works fine.

you do know you will have to have a custom exhaust fabbed up.
This is how i would do it, with 3 inch and a muffler of your choice ( not a glasspack please)

you could do it with a x pipe and run duals but it would be more costly. if you do this or the next option, i would do all 2.5 inch

or you could split it after the muffler as well

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,721 Posts
oh and install takes an hour at most for the headers unless you break some bolts off. Pass side goes from top and driver from bottom IIRC

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have been told that hooker aerochambers are great. Alot of peple have been switching from flowmasters to the aerochambers. I havent found a sound clip yet. And i consider running true duals. Just straight pipe into two different mufflers. Might seem alittle much and cost more but i guess that all depends how much people charge me for a custom y pipe. Any thoughts?

·
Addicted to Junk
13,721 Posts
can you weld? there is a current thread by a member named s1120 who is makin his own. yours would be easier that his too because you have the longtubes.
if you dont put a cross-over pipe in (an x pipe or h pipe) you wont get as much performance, as there will be less of a scavenging effect.

This is how mine looks right now.

i did not know much when i had this installed. It does not have a cross over. the reason the driver side bends around the tcase and above the t case skid is because there is not room on the driver side for a pipe.

The reason i suggested the y pipe into a single pipe is that with all the bends of the true duals the total length of each side is totally different.

the driver side, the one that goes around the t case, is 145 inches, with 9 approx. 90* bends, each adding the equivalent of 48 inches. thus totaling 577inches, or 48 feet.

the pass side is 120 inches with only 5 bends which totals out at 360 inches or 30 feet.

see the difference? my driver side bank is working 60% harder to push that exhaust out through the pipes.

a crossover would help equalize the two pipes

also, a single 3 inch exhaust is known to flow better.

i have flowmasters and i like them. i have heard good things about the aerochambers. i have thought about flowtech's warlock muffler as well. it has a built in cut out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well what about an h pipe? Taking a page out of the muscle car book lol

·
Addicted to Junk
13,721 Posts
that would work, however you would want to put it where the two pipes are closest to eachother.

whatever you decide to do, make sure you put in a crossover of some sort or do a single.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill ask this mechanic i get to look over my car after i work on it. Whats your opinion on muffler choice?

·
Addicted to Junk
13,721 Posts
40 series flowmaster (non delta flow) is what i have. they sound good and they are durable. my driveshaft twisted in two and whacked both of them pretty darn good, denting them both but no puntcures.

i have heard good things about the hooker mufflers

i have wanted to try the warlock. i am assuming since it has a turbo style construction that it will sound good, not to mention the cut out feature to make it extra loud when you want it.

there is a summit brand muffler that is constructed nearly identical to the flow 40 series and it is half the price.

it will be loud with no cats and any chambered muffler so if loud is not what you are after, maybe the flowmaster 50 series would be better. it is not as loud

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Hooker long tubes went in without a hitch. But I also ran true duels on the outside of the frame.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
like installing them? Bc i but them on 2002 camaro and nothing can be worst then that.
No, like starter heat, ground clearance, and, long tubes + SAS = Fail

Have you looked at the exhaust sound clip thread (sticky) yet?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i have looked there. I think i googled it to and only thing i found was on a chevy. It sound really nice but i know pitch changes from engine to engine.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts