Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which set of headers work best on a street driven Bronco?

·
Registered
62 Posts
well from what i've read with long lengths like flowtech and ....the shorter four into two into the collecter are a bit more forgiving for room around the engine,chassis and front drive shaft area.in some cases like with the auto versus manual trans,the auto gives more trouble in fit.i myself have got what we call pacemaker headers,which are what you would call short pipe series.one of the most popular pipes here in aus.
i personally would go the short headers for room and also better low down torque and driveability.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Factory manifolds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Full length headers are best if you are going for HP. Flowtech makes a good set, one of only a scant few who makes a full length header for a bronco, only problem is, the drivers side header rests right under your tranny pan, so you will need to heat it up and move it to the side or face the fact that you are gonna COOK ur tranny fluid. Shorties are good for this fact, that you can move ur pipe away from the bottom of ur tranny. Stock manifolds are Garbage at best.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wish my truck still had factory manifolds on it. I hate the long tubes. Heat soak sucks!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I wish my truck still had factory manifolds on it. I hate the long tubes. Heat soak sucks!
x2. My drivers side header flange rest right on the bottom of my transmission pan. I'm always on the look out for a stock setup at the JY.

·
Registered
262 Posts
x2. My drivers side header flange rest right on the bottom of my transmission pan. I'm always on the look out for a stock setup at the JY.
So am i... I found a couple in the yard i'm just too lazy to snag it all.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Factory manifolds suck. :twak

Long tubes are not worth the headaches. :banghead

Good quality shorties are the way to go (Bassani, BBK, Ford racing) :thumbup

I do not understand this sudden movement to factory manifolds. :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Full length headers are best if you are going for HP. Flowtech makes a good set, one of only a scant few who makes a full length header for a bronco, only problem is, the drivers side header rests right under your tranny pan, so you will need to heat it up and move it to the side or face the fact that you are gonna COOK ur tranny fluid. Shorties are good for this fact, that you can move ur pipe away from the bottom of ur tranny. Stock manifolds are Garbage at best.
wow a bold statement on the last sentence. You talking about movin pipes and heatin up things with the other headers and yet claim factoru are garbage. Wow just wow.
:doh0715:

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow a bold statement on the last sentence. You talking about movin pipes and heatin up things with the other headers and yet claim factoru are garbage. Wow just wow.
:doh0715:
You read it right, no WOW's about it, Long tube headers and shorties amount to less rust problems, more HP, and a better flow rate. Wow. Going with a set of stock Manifolds is like waisting time trying to find a set of GT40 heads.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Factory manifolds suck. :twak

Long tubes are not worth the headaches. :banghead

Good quality shorties are the way to go (Bassani, BBK, Ford racing) :thumbup

Shorties give us with stock engines nearly no measurable benefit (what little they do give is killed in the cost/benefit ratio). They generally make plug access a pain as well. The factory manifolds are perfectly fine for most applications IMO.

I'm probably gonna take the long tubes off my 79 and put a set of factory manifolds on it. The LTs are just too hard to work around.

EDIT: Headers of any kind put the heat in places you don't want it as well. My long tubes sit right next to the starter and would have the tubes uncomfortably close to the tranny if I didn't put a wonky bend in the pipes directly after the exit...which probably kills any benefit I got from the headers anyway.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Shorties give us with stock engines nearly no measurable benefit (what little they do give is killed in the cost/benefit ratio). They generally make plug access a pain as well. The factory manifolds are perfectly fine for most applications IMO.

I'm probably gonna take the long tubes off my 79 and put a set of factory manifolds on it. The LTs are just too hard to work around.

EDIT: Headers of any kind put the heat in places you don't want it as well. My long tubes sit right next to the starter and would have the tubes uncomfortably close to the tranny if I didn't put a wonky bend in the pipes directly after the exit...which probably kills any benefit I got from the headers anyway.
I disagree. I just installed shorties on mine and noticed a measurable difference. The plug access is also much better than with the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which shorties did you buy?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I run factory 5.0 mustang headers on my stock engine. I noticed a definite gain, have experienced none of these bad side effects and have no harder time accessing anything. If the "mild" factory shortie headers made a noticeable gain in hp, torque and mpg I certainly think better headers on a better engine would too. I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of swapping to a better head (even GT40Ps) and not install headers.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
The plug access is also much better than with the stock manifolds.
x2, way better than the manifolds where.

They don't crack like factory manifolds.

And shorty headers will support future engine upgrades :thumbup

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have shorties and a nice y pipe. It would just mean that I'd have to redo my whole exhaust system,$,(long tubes, true duels).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts