Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Jeep YJ. My son and I just love it. We have built it ground up. Bought it when it was all stock. Not that way anymore.

Anyway, we had another boy and we need more room for trail runs, trips, beach vacations, etc. I have thought about putting a v8 in the YJ, and making it an automatic, adding a/c and building a trailer. Then someone said just get a bronco and it has all that!

So, here I am. What is the best year for motor, axles, trans, etc.? The 5.8l seems nice and plenty of power. I will add a 6" lift, and 35" probably. I would like something with LSD axles. 4:10 if possible. Ford 9" and/or Dana 44? Disc brakes. Air bags, and ABS.

I hope that narrows down some years.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
ugh I don't even know where to start- Everyone will have different opinions on this matter too. Personally, I think you have WAY to many options and I would say start here Bronco Wiki to learn the difference between the generations and body styles.

Motor, axles, trans....

You have a range from 5.0,5.8 Wind, Clevl, M, v8s to the built proof I6s, do you want Fuel Injection or Carb? look around the 85-87years. MAF? 94 for the 305 or Look at 95 in Cali or 96 everywhere else (5.8L). Solid axle stock? Look towards EB and 78/79, IFS started in 80-> 96. Can't remember the year, but out back you either have a 9in or 8.8. None came with 4:10s and LSD are rare.

Air Bags (for people) and ABS look at '94+. Air bag suspension?? Never.

Welcome to the big boy trucks:thumbup
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rob,

5.8l looks good. 220hp and 325tq?

Wiki doesn't show axle nor gear ratio for years.
Fuel injection
Air bags for people

I was thinking 94-95.

Thanks!

Footnote: What talked me into it is we took our '02 suburban 4x4 (33" tires) out on a run when the jeep was getting the Ford 8.8 axle swap done. The full size rode the trails much nicer and the auto and a/c was nice with the kids.

Ron

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I believe stock gearing was 3.55 or 3.73 across the board... if you want 4.10s (or anything above 3.73) you are going to have to get a new carrier when you swap your gear sets.

I like MAF, and if you want a 5.8L you'd need to get a Cali Ed. '95 or any '96. But anything '94+ will have an air bag..just one..for the driver..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe stock gearing was 3.55 or 3.73 across the board... if you want 4.10s (or anything above 3.73) you are going to have to get a new carrier when you swap your gear sets.

I like MAF, and if you want a 5.8L you'd need to get a Cali Ed. '95 or any '96. But anything '94+ will have an air bag..just one..for the driver..
Newbie ;) What is...Cali Ed?

Ya, 355 needs a new carrier and 373 doesnt if I remember. Any preference on years?

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Best year for what you want?

1978-1979. Factory solid Dana 44 axle with disc brakes. Factory 9" rear end. Plenty of room to move around inside.

Cons: Carbureted 351M, 400M from factory; C6 auto transmission, or 4 speed manual with granny low gears; NO airbags and ABS.

Pros: No EFI! Easy to modify and repair. Easier to lift than the TTB broncos (1980-1996). NO airbags! Simple wiring and electrical system. No On-Board-Diagnostics. No restrictions on Going Topless. Greater aftermarket availability and retrofit ability.

If I were you, I would source a 1994-1999 351W EFI out of an F series truck. I would pull the engine, carb it, and run it down the road. Airbags from the early 90's often do more harm than good to anyone. The technology has come a long way since 1996 and I honestly do not feel safe in airbag equipped vehicles since I had one go off and slice my stomach open.

I am unsure as to whether or not ABS was equipped on, or even existed in 78 and 79, but I do not see the necessity for something that's lifted, to be used off road to need ABS.

It's just my opinion, but I have always wanted an older bronco, I love my '91, but it will eventually become a rockwell axled trail truck, ceasing to be a driver. I firmly believe you'd be happier with something older, less electrical and computer generated gremlins to bother with.

Not only that, but the TTB sucks donkey cawk.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what year it is, but I *think* it's 92-96. Basically the rear out seat belts became shoulder belts and are bolted to the top of the bronco. So if you remove the top and go "topless" You've lost 2 seat belts in the rear..

Just something to keep in mind.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
ugh I don't even know where to start- Everyone will have different opinions on this matter too. Personally, I think you have WAY to many options and I would say start here Bronco Wiki to learn the difference between the generations and body styles.

Motor, axles, trans....

You have a range from 5.0,5.8 Wind, Clevl, M, v8s to the built proof I6s, do you want Fuel Injection or Carb? look around the 85-87years. MAF? 94 for the 305 or Look at 95 in Cali or 96 everywhere else (5.8L). Solid axle stock? Look towards EB and 78/79, IFS started in 80-> 96. Can't remember the year, but out back you either have a 9in or 8.8. None came with 4:10s and LSD are rare.

Air Bags (for people) and ABS look at '94+. Air bag suspension?? Never.

Welcome to the big boy trucks:thumbup
Rob

No! The 351 Cleveland never came in a FSB it was the 351M and 400, the 351W and 302, and the I6

Also, its not "IFS", its TTB since TTB is a IFS/Solid axle hybrid. its not classified as one or the other... its.... special :toothless This came in 1980 after the redesign

The 5.0L is a 302 not a 305

MAF wasnt until 1995 on 302's and 1996 on 351's

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
1990 Eddie Bauer Edition Bronco hands down. Maybe its cause i own one. Maybe its cause i have been drinking. But you will never know

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Oh you could just buy adrian Speeder's '84................ :hump

Well, for the 80-86s...

Rear window defrost. (behind the 4x4 shifter knob)

Locking hood latch is there too, but not sure how rare of an option that was.

Factory ford deer spotter.

Hood thinger.

Underhood toolbox.

Lariat racetrack trim and factory slider windows.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 92 with a 351w. It feels pretty weak compared to my 05 f-150 with the 5.4L. I guess technology has come along way in the last 18 years. I have always loved the 70's model F-series and Broncos. My dad had a 77 f150 and that thing was indestructable (except for the rust) it finally retired in 1998.

When I found my Bronco, I was looking for a 78 or 79 model but everything I found was completely rusted out or completey restored($$$$$$). One of these days when the cash situation is a little better I will have a 78/79. But for now I have a very nice well equipted 92 that I paid less for than I could have found a 78 or 79 in comparable condition. Just a little warning, be prepared to keep it on the road and in driving condition. I have had mine for a little over a year and have just about forgotten about my 2005 f150 supercrew 4x4 lariet! The f150 is alot nicer, more comfortable, better a/c, better mpg but everyone has a f150! Broncos are way more fun and getting harder and harder to find. I will never ever get rid of mine, acually been thinking bout selling the f150! My daughter acually refers to the Bronco as our NEW truck!

Thats just my 2 cents, Hope you find one and enjoy it as much as the rest of us! No matter what year you end up with you will love it!

GO VOLS!!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I like a 78-9... But I have had three bricknoses now (87-91 model trucks.. forgot yer a newb for a sec) 2 2doors, and my cent were all brick noses...

I fricking love a Brick nose.

My injected 5.0 86 witht he AOD was a pretty nice drive, as well.

I would have have to look for 87-96, 5.0 and 5 speed, if I were shopping for an all around rig, that I was gonna leave gas powered.

If I were going to do it right, and swap in a drivetrain that relied on #2 for fuel, I would have to source a 78-79, and when I swapped everything over from the dismal donor, I would fab in the AC etc.

Best of all the worlds, at that point, heavy metal construction, decent mpg, HUGE bottom end grunt (you are gonna wheel it right?), modern conveniences.... Done.

Find yer self a rolled PSd, or IDI, or Cumstain, 94 up is drivers drop, and swaparoni.

But for a gas driver, 87-96 5.0 5 speed truck.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I like 86' and newer because EFI= better fuel economy, and automatic adjustments for high elevation. I like on board diagnostics, because I don't have to snoop around forever to figure out what is wrong with the Bronco , making the $400.00 cat burn out every year. My 88's brake system is easier to work on than prior years, from the looks of it.
I like the looks of older Bronco's, but looks aren't everything for a fellow on my budget. With that in mind, If I had a good paying job, I'd pick a 78-79 with a big block motor. But I am fine with my Bronco as it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts