Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed a Viper alarm in my Bronco, I'm pretty sure it was installed properly but 1 issue I had was that the lock/unlock from the FOB was very weak. Has anyone installed an alarm in their truck and had the same issue? Were you able to fix it? Does anyone have a suggestion for an alarm that works best for mid 90's Bronco/F-series trucks? I would also like remote start but it's not important, would just be handy for those days I don't drive it but want to start it to keep batteries charged up. Thanks in advance for any help and have a great day!!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
What do you mean by weak? How far away can you go and still lock and unlock it? Where is the receiver antenna mounted?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Weak reception? You need to move the alarm base unit's antenna wire away from metal and try to get it as high up in the vehicle as possible.

Weak like the door locks act like they don't have enough power to lock/unlock?
Try a slow charge on your battery, make sure it's got close to 14V while the engine is running.

Reactions: fordbronco1995

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I have a viper alarm in mine thats probably 20 years old, the receiver antenna is mounted dead center of the windshield above the rear view mirror, seems to work better in a open area, sometimes i can lock/unlock it from 75 feet away other times i will have to be at least 25 feet away, just the nature of it, make sure you have fresh batteries in the fob as well

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
My Viper remote start (w/o alarm) has a range of about 200 feet. I don't have the door lock feature hooked up because I always leave the key in the ignition. Nobody wants an old rust bucket... including me. :D I just don't like getting into a cold rust bucket in the winter.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
May also depend on the model of the viper alarm. Every blue moon itll reach out to 100 maybe 125 ft but its rare lol

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had the Viper 5706V alarm with remote-start and one-mile range installed in a previous vehicle.
I never tested the full one-mile range, but it worked great to start my car from about 1/8th of a mile, three stories up from my job to start the car up so that the inside was nice and cool by the time I walked downstairs and made the long trek across the huge parking lot under the blazing Texas summer sun.

The next vehicle I had, came with keyless ignition. Where you just leave your car keys in your pocket and press a button on the dash to start the engine. That was awesome.
When I'm ready to install an alarm in my Bronco, I'll look for some sort of remote-start option + the keyless feature. Hopefully the aftermarket will have some easy DIY kits for combining the two technologies on an older vehicle.
If not then I'll probably buy another Viper 5706V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts