Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read where a lot of you have done the F350 upgrade, but I am not having any luck finding a '79 F350 2WD brake booster. Everywhere I look, they are no longer in production. Does anyone have a resource for them? I don't have any interest in the hydroboost system. I stopped at Off Road Connection just north of Birmingham this morning, and they didn't know of anywhere. Jeff's and Tom's doesn't have them either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,455 Posts
JY is likely your best bet unless you gotta have new.

Reactions: Prodhound

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks, but it's a return and service only. I am looking to make the conversion from a 150 to a 350 booster.
Too may guys are buying the parts with a core charge and keeping there cores or upgrading and just eating the core costs cuz they don’t have the core to send back. ;) YOMV “your opinion may vary”

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too may guys are buying the parts with a core charge and keeping there cores or upgrading and just eating the core costs cuz they don’t have the core to send back. ;) YOMV “your opinion may vary”
That's pretty much what I'm hearing. When conversions are done, you usually eat the core price.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Reactions: riverbum60

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
Keep in mind you need the F350 master cylinder and wheel cylinders as well.

And good luck finding a dentside f350 in the JY, then it having a good booster!

What about the larger f600 and f700 trucks? They might have something you can use, and they are on CL all the time. Or perhaps a 75-91 e350?

Reactions: riverbum60

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the f350 brake upgrade, all but booster and MC (same deal as above can't find a f-350 booster). I did just the front t-bird calipers with summit slotted and drilled rotors up front and the f-350 wheel cylinders in the rear. The pedal is a little spongey and it travels a bit further than before, but doesn't bottom out and the bronco stops real well. It brakes so much better now that it will squawk the 35" BFG KM2's when braking real hard. Its no hydroboost, but it works well for me.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
557 Posts
Thanks, but it's a return and service only. I am looking to make the conversion from a 150 to a 350 booster.
The first two do not say rebuild service, and list a core charge

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
936 Posts
Ah.... I looked this up maybe 2 months ago. Tried Cardone. etc. Zip availibility. My guess= Very old stuff. Few rebuildabible cores avail. Few trucks to pull from. Guys like us buying the stuff and not turning in cores. I fit that discription as I want to do this upgrade and contribute to this problem.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,796 Posts
Why no on the hydroboost?? just curious really. If had bad luck with them on other things that is understandable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hydroboost may be my only only option now. When I went to order the remaining "one" booster that Rock Auto had in stock, someone else beat me to it. Regardless, I need to upgrade my calipers and I plan to step up to the 350 wheel cylinders on the rear brakes. I don't want to overwhelm the brake system when I add more pressure to it. May even upgrade all the steel brake lines too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried to do this upgrade on my 79, couldn’t get the booster, even have a friend who owns a auto parts store, he looked everywhere, couldn’t find one. Finally just bit the bullet and went hydro boost, locks up the brakes now, would never even come close before, very happy, even though it was expensive

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
Theres a 72 F350 dually in the Truman Road pick n pull in Kansas City. It had a power booster and master on it last thursday when I was up there. You can call them and have a puller remove it and i think they will ship it.

I won't be going up there again probably till this plague is over.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I'm a little late on this, but I'm also curious why you don't want to do the hydroboost upgrade? I went the whole F-350, T-bird, Caddy rear disc "Upgrade," and was really unimpressed. It was a lot of work, a decent amount of money and marginal, if any, performance increase. A member here got a pretty decent deal on my '350 take off parts that I ditched.

After doing the hydroboost conversion, the brake system feels modern and reliable. I ditched the Caddy rear calipers and went with GM front calipers on the rear axle and a drive line E-brake, but the system is amazing, even with an engine swap I did that was a few hundred pounds heavier than the 400 I had stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts