Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the forum today and would like to pick your brains about an issue I am having with my Truck. I have a 94 F150 XLT 4x4 and when I engage the 4wheel drive the front drive shaft spins but will not engage the front wheels. The transfer case is a manual shift and the front auto hubs have been replaced a while ago with Warn manual locking hubs. I just bought the truck a couple of weeks ago and was told the the yoke on the front driveshaft that goes into the front diff needs to be replaced. I was given one with the truck and have yet to try it. I am wondering if this is true would this cause the problems or do I have other issues.

Any help you could lend me on this would be appreciated, I have searched here on the forum but it did not turn up any issue related to mine.

thanks all

Jwlong

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I am NOT being a smart A$$ but you DID lock the front hubs in right?

I would guess if the front hubs are locked in, and the front ds is turning, something is almost definatly wrong in the diff. As long as the man. locking hubs are actually working...

Maybe the pinion is stripped or the teeth on the ring gear ar f'ed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front hubs were locked in but I never checked to make sure the hubs were working correctly, there is no noise coming from the diff when the truck is put in 4wd (no grinding or anything) I am wondering if the slip yoke for the driveshaft is stripped on the inside and therefore will not mesh with the pinion gear in the diff.....

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,309 Posts
Below is the test for auto hubs. It's a good routine for manual hubs as well, just lock them before you start. Be sure to block the wheels & set the brake, etc.
How to test Ford Auto locking hubs on all TTB aplications.

1. Place transfercase in 2HI or Neutrall.

2. Lying under vehicle, turn front drive shaft (one direction only).

3. Automatic hubs should lock after 1 to 5 turns of driveshaft (one direction only).

After step 3 the hubs should lock, youll know they are locked becouse you will hear a click from both hubs and you will no longer be able to turn the front drive shaft (in the same direction). If this is not the case then continue to step 4. If you can no longer turn the drive shaft (in the same direction) then skip to step 7.

4. If you can still turn the drive shaft (one direction only) then one or more of your Auto hubs is not working.

5. Continuing to turn the Drive shaft (one direction only).

6. Look at the u-joints for the front stub axles, if both are turning then both front hubs are malfunctioning, if only one is turning then the one that is not turning is locked and the one turning is malfuctioning.

Replace as necosary (preferably with manual hubs, Auto hubs have Yams in them)

7. To unlock the hubs, turn drive shaft in opisat direction untill you hear a click from the hubs.

To check for transfercase engagement.

1. Place pushbutton transfercase in either 4 HI or 4LO.

2. lie under vehicle.

3. You should not be able to turn front drive-shaft in either direction.

4. If you can turn the front drive shaft then your transfer case is not shifting properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give this a try and let you know how I make out, thanks for the test. I am still wondering if the yoke could be the issue though, has anyone ever heard of the drive shaft yoke going bad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all who replied, some really good information here that I will keep for future reference.

The Actual problem was a broken passengerside axle....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts